MakeItHappen

USPA pays for LB attorney's fees

USPA pays for LB attorney's fees

There was a motion at the BOD meeting that said something to the effect "allow USPA to pay Larry Bagley $1000.00 for his attorney fees."

So why is USPA paying for Larry Bagley's attorney fees?

Ed Scott, the Executive Director, fired Larry Bagley, the Director of Competition, a few weeks ago.

The Executive Director has full authority to hire and fire people that work at headquarters. [GM Sec1-2.6 Administrative Staff] The BOD hires the Executive Director, and the BOD does not have authority to hire or fire staff at HQ.

So after the BOD was informed about LB being fired, some 'consultations' took place.
One of those 'consultations' was LB talking to an attorney.
Other 'consultations' were between ES & BOD members, specifically JS.

The end result of it all was that LB was 'rehired' and part of the agreement terms were that USPA pay for the attorney that he hired when he found out he was fired.

Those are the facts that I know about.

I don't know anything about the employment terms of LB with USPA, so I have no idea if ES had valid reasons or not to fire LB. In the meantime, 'the grumpy old man' that others like to call LB, continues on and will come to a DZ near you to yell at you personally.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

It will be interesting to watch how long the Executive Director stays with the organization.

From what I have seen in the past of these kind of situations, once the boss has had his authority put in question they tend to leave.

But hell, I am Canadian :P so I got "no dog in this hunt", it will just be interesting to watch if anything happens with the Executive Director over the next few months.

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

"Bags" still with USPA? What do they do, roll him in under an oxygen tent?

I also noticed Needles received the USPA Lifetime Achievement Award. That bauble once had some cache but they are handing it out like candy. Jerry & Sherry Schrimsher? Really? The ULAA should be reserved for those making game changing contributions. But all too often it’s the parting gift for working at USPA Headquarters. Yes, service to USPA is one specifically cited qualifying factor for the ULAA, but they should strike that out. Somehow it’s like the Congressional Medal of Honor being awarded to, well, a member of Congress. USPA has some lesser awards that would have served in more than a few of these cases.

Let’s take a stroll down history lane, shall we . . .

Joe Crane, Awarded in 1971 (posthumously)
"For unselfish and dedicated service as founder, president, and chairman of the board of the National Parachute Jumpers and Riggers and its successor, the Parachute Club of America." [No problem with this one, Joe was the very definition of a game changer.]

Lew Sanborn, D-1, Awarded in 1972
"For originating safe and reliable parachute equipment, for pioneering work in freefall photography, and for many other contributions to the sport and USPA." [The main thing Lew did that oddly isn’t mentioned in the citation is develop (along with Jacques Istel) the three hour first jump course for civilians. That alone did more to create “sport parachuting” than anything else to date.]

Steve Snyder, D-5, Awarded in 1973
"For pioneering contributions through the years to the saving of lives and the improvement of parachute equipment." [While Steve didn’t invent the ram air parachute he did perfect it and bring it to market for skydiving, and eventually all the other sister sports.]

United States Army Parachute Team, Awarded in 1974
"Generous and dedicated sportsmen, celebrated competitors, respected leaders who since 1961 have introduced parachuting at its best to worldwide millions and have brought honor and distinction to the sport." [Yes, promoting sport parachuting is certainly a side benefit to the Knights, but they are primarily a military recruiting device and as such I’m on the fence with this one. Besides this bestowment had more to do with a particular USPA board member who had a certain affectation for fit young boys.]

Lowell Bachman, Awarded in 1975
"For service to the United States Parachute Association and all competitors as judge and chief judge at countless national championships, and as a dedicated leader in the development of judging excellence." [Lowell gave credibility to jump judges that lasts to this day.]

Russ Gunby, Awarded in 1977
"A founding spirit who saw the future when others doubted. As author, executive director, and P.C.A. president, he gave countless hours to build the early framework of our sport." [Russ was the first true “skydiving instructor, and the “father” of all modern instructors. This award was well deserved just on the strengths of the books on skydiving he authored. His book “Sport Parachuting” was the bible for early instructors, and still sits prominently on my bookshelf. On those nights when I didn’t think I could drag myself back to the DZ for another day of dealing with the B.S. I’d grab that book to re-fire the dryness in my soul. Should be required reading for all fledgling instructors.]

Len Potts, Awarded in 1978
"In recognition of personal sacrifice and countless contributions to skydiving and this organization spanning our decades as a sport. His past is our present." [I feel like the guy handicapping the Oscars that says about a movie, “Sorry, didn’t see it!” But other than hearing his name over the years, I’ll be damned if I know what he did. That alone makes the award questionable.]

Dan Poynter, Awarded in 1980
"Prolific author, distinguished instructor, preeminent parachutist, whose service to skydiving spans more than 20 active years." [Dan was the archetype of the modern “motivational speaker” long before any of us heard that phrase. But his writing the bible for parachute riggers, past, present, and future, more than earned him this award. The Parachute Rigger’s Manual is the very definition of a “great work.”]

Norman E. Heaton, Awarded in 1981
"In eleven years of devoted service as executive director, he contributed substantially and uniquely to USPA's greatest growth." [Norm deserved the award for a couple of reasons. He held P.C.A. together in the lean years when he ran headquarters out of an old San Francisco whore house and kept the membership files on index cards in a shoebox. And I’ve always liked this quote from him, "... It makes no difference what is one's `bag' in this game: we all do exactly the same thing: jump out of airplanes. This is the root, the very basis of any amount of camaraderie inherent in this sport of parachuting. Any attempt to belie this is an attempt to destroy the common good of all. No one can justifiably degrade or isolate someone else because their thing in parachuting doesn't happen to be your thing. And vice versa. We all put our rigs on one strap at a time." And I hope that puts the kibosh on that silly Freeflyer patch!]

James F. "Curt" Curtis, Awarded in 1983
"A total contributor to our sport and USPA: competitive champion, headquarters executive, drop zone owner, safety officer, director, board chairman. [No way on this one. Pure USPA nepotism at its finest.]

Chuck MacCrone, Awarded in 1984
"In recognition of outstanding contributions to sport parachuting and as a testament to his unparalleled service as president, FAI-IPC." [Some serious cross organizational ass kissing going on here.]

Jack Bergman, Awarded in 1986 (posthumously)
"USPA Director 1967-1984, Treasurer 1967-1984, National Championships Meet Director 1975-1984. With selfless devotion he gave a quarter century to skydiving and USPA." [Jack was a great guy and the “financial bookkeeper” of USPA and to his credit he published USPA’s budget in a way the average jumper could read and understand. Other than that though this one’s a bit of a stretch.]

Carl Boenish, Awarded in 1987 (posthumously)
"A prolific and talented skydiver whose lifetime of pioneering freefall photography brought unforgettable images and better understanding to fellow jumpers and the public." [Carl already deserved this award for the wonderful films he made of skydiving. Films that motivated a generation of jumpers to bigger and better things. And he did that even before he became the “father” of modern B.A.S.E. jumping. I knew Carl before he died and was actually at this particular award ceremony and B.A.S.E. jumping wasn’t even mentioned.]

J. Scott Hamilton, Awarded in 1989
"For service to USPA and the skydiving world 1967-1979, a Collegiate League director, Safety and Training Committee chairman, and USPA president." [Another USPA parting gift.]

Ken Coleman, Awarded in 1990 (posthumously)
"World and national champion who created the accelerated freefall program." [AFF will always be Ken’s legacy being “the” game changer. He also taught us to be really careful around hot air balloons.]

Loy Brydon, D-12, Awarded in 1993
"In recognition of major contributions to parachuting in the development of equipment, freefall techniques and competition-an original role model of the total skydiver." [By the time I started jumping in 1975 Brydon was the total anti-model, with his crew cut and spit shinned boots, of the “total skydiver.” Sorry, not enduring enough for this award.]

William H. Ottley, D-298, Awarded in 1994
"In recognition of more than three decades of dedicated service to skydiving and USPA, as board member, vice president and executive director." [Bill pulled USPA back from the brink of bankruptcy and extinction in a time when USPA didn’t even have enough money in the bank for the next board meeting. And if you ever had the opportunity to hear him speak on the history of the sport you know he "killed it" leaving us in tears of laughter, joy, and yes, even pride.]

Dick Barber, C-2375, Awarded in 1995
"For dedicated service to all competitors as a judge at countless U.S. Nationals and world championships, and for the inspiration provided to judges." [Lowell Bachman already did all that, sorry, no repeats please!]

Clint Vincent, Awarded in 1997
"Selfless service for the betterment of all aspects of skydiving and in support of all skydivers." [Another hand out. Thanks for playing, here’s your door prize.]

Patrick M. Moorehead, Awarded in 1998
"For unselfish dedication to the United States Parachute Association since 1969 as an ambassador extraordinaire while traveling the world as a member of the board of directors and as a professional skydiving performer." [A bit of a self promoter is old Pat, but hey, that’s show biz! But he’s more in line with the type of jumper that should be getting this award.]

Sherry Schrimsher, Awarded in 2002 (with Jerry Schrimsher)
"For their selfless dedication to USPA's competition and instructional programs and as leaders of the community while serving on USPA's board of directors." [Unbelievably undeserved. In fact the erosion in credibility of instructors began on her watch leading to the mess we are in today.]

Jerry Schrimsher, Awarded in 2002 (with Sherry Schrimsher) (posthumously)
"For their selfless dedication to USPA's competition and instructional programs and as leaders of the community while serving on USPA's board of directors." [I wanted to steal an airplane and fly it into USPA headquarters after this one, if you can’t guess, it still chaps my ass to this day. Total Bozo!]

Al Krueger, Awarded in 2003
"For almost 40 years of dedication to the sport and especially USPA as a board member, U.S. Nationals meet director, world skydiving champion, and inspirational visionary." [A true American hero from a time when the word “hero” actually meant something. Selflessness on the drop zone doesn’t begin to describe Al.]

Gene Paul Thacker, Awarded in 2004
"For over 40 years of contributions to USPA and the sport of skydiving, particularly in the Style & Accuracy community as an athlete, coach, leader, inspiration, volunteer, conscience and catalyst." [Meh, yeah, okay, 2004 was a weak ass year.]

Jacques-Andre Istel, Awarded in 2007
"In recognition of his pioneering spirit as he promoted skydiving in America, United States Parachute Teams, and collegiate parachuting competition while serving the United States Parachute Association and its predecessors." [A total loon but certainly a game changer. Anyone who works on a DZ or jumps today owes it all to Jacque. He kept his sense of humor right to the end too. I once watched as a dumb ass DZO, with no clue who he was, tried to sell Jacque a tandem jump. Riotous laughter ensued.]

Something even more telling is who’s not a recipient, and usually for bullshit political reasons. Now that would be a list!

NickD :)

It will be interesting to watch how long the Executive Director stays with the organization.

From what I have seen in the past of these kind of situations, once the boss has had his authority put in question they tend to leave.

But hell, I am Canadian :P so I got "no dog in this hunt", it will just be interesting to watch if anything happens with the Executive Director over the next few months.

Well, I don't really think this is a bad mark on ES. In fact, I think it shows some backbone to him, that you never saw in CN.
There have been numerous requests from jumpers to get rid of LB.
I never made a request to the ED to get rid of him, although I had ample incidents to do so.

There was a Nationals at Perris where Chris Moore missed his plane. He claimed that his number/name was never called by manifest.
Larry calls a jury to determine the matter and hands us the manifest sheets that Perris had. The manifest sheets prepared by the event judge were also given to us. There was a Perris staff person that transcribed the rosters. When I looked at the sheets, it showed a discrepancy between the roster that the event judge submitted and what was given to Danifestor. Moore's name/number were omitted from the manifest sheet that Danifestor read. Bagley and the other jury person were aghast. They thought Moore ought to be penalized because he submitted another statement that was, well, 'questionable'. I said it does not matter if Moore added in some other statements later, the fact of the matter is that his name/number was not on the manifest sheet given to Danifestor. Moore deserves a rejump. Moore got his rejump and placed first. At the time I had no idea of who Chris Moore was or that he was a contender for first place.

There was a collegiates were the judge did not rename the event properly. LB came to me and yelled at me that this was unacceptable and you need to fix it. I told him I'd take care of it. I went to the judge and told her and showed her how to rename the event. The judge quickly fixed the event name and then said she did not understand why I did this with all of the yelling at you get for things that are not even your fault.

There was a Nationals where the event judge did not check the box for throw-away rounds in a CRW event. The score sheet printed did not have the throw-away marked. LB came storming into OS HQ and demanded, by yelling at me, that I fix this immediately. I went over to the event judge to show her that she needed to check a box to get the proper score sheet and standings. She said she had already realized her mistake and redid the standing printing. This was something that the event judges are supposed to know. I asked the chief judge to make sure LB knew that it was a judge's mistake and not my mistake.

There was a BOD meeting where the S&T and Comp committee were meeting in adjacent rooms. These rooms were separated by real walls - with two sheets of drywall and 2x4s, not those slide walls. The S&T Comm had just finished a motion and the room went quiet for a minute or so while paperwork was being filled out. We hear someone YELLING from next door. We realized it was Comp next door and then identified the yeller as LB. Glad we are in S&T so we don't have to deal with that.

There was a N&E comm meeting where I asked a question that 'staff' - meaning LB - would be able to answer best. The chair directed the question to LB. LB stands up, outstretches his arm and pointed to me and says "I'm not talking to you!" Then goes on to yell his answer to the question to the committee.

Let's hope that LB finds a new job soon.

I don't know if ES did something wrong in his firing of LB, but at least he had the temerity to fire LB, something his predecessor did not do.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hi Nick,

Somewhere over the years I have concluded that I do not 'have' to agree with other people.

I do mostly agree with your thoughts. The one exception, for me, is Brydon. When I started, early '64, we were not opposed to crewcuts. :P

He did an awful lot for us sport jumpers long before I ever came along.

Trivia: If Brydon had gotten a rejump at the '64 World Meet ( he had a broken steering line ), I am personally convinced he would have been the World Champion and not Fortenberry.

Nick, you keep up the good work on this type of stuff,

JerryBaumchen

PS) In reality, they should make USPA a soap-opera; but no one would really believe it. :S

Where's Judge Judy when we need her? >:(

PPS) This stuff has been going on for a long time; back in '64 Geo. Gividen was the Exec. Dir. and one Monday he came to the offices to work and the locks had been changed. The PCA ( then ) Pres and a Conf. Dir. had come over on Sunday and changed the locks & then notified Gividen that he was fired. :o

PS) In reality, they should make USPA a soap-opera; but no one would really believe it. :S

Jerry Springer would be more fun. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>>Where's Judge Judy when we need her? >:(
Actually Judge Judy "Celaya" got the USPA Gold Medal for Meritorious Achievement which she deserved and that I'm sure is still killing her husband Bob to this day, LOL!

I worked for her a couple of years up in Cal City and totally had a crush on her . . . and I still do . . .

Jerry Springer would be more fun. :P

Not to leave out the touch-feely types, let's plan at least one guest appearance from Dr. Phil.

When I read this, I got an image of Dr Phil next to the open door of an Otter, convincing a reluctant AFF or tandem student to jump.
:D:D:D:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

When Bill Ottley was Executive Director he fired Mike Johnston the Director of Safety and Training---Mike took it to the USPA BOD.

The BOD would not interfere---stating that according to the "USPA constitution and by-laws" the BOD could not get into USPA HQ employee issues.

So what's different this time ?
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

When Bill Ottley was Executive Director he fired Mike Johnston the Director of Safety and Training---Mike took it to the USPA BOD.

The BOD would not interfere---stating that according to the "USPA constitution and by-laws" the BOD could not get into USPA HQ employee issues.

So what's different this time ?

Interesting.... Maybe times were different back then. I dunno. Today people are so fucking sue-happy or getting lawyers involved to keep getting their way or something... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>>Where's Judge Judy when we need her? >:(
Actually Judge Judy "Celaya" got the USPA Gold Medal for Meritorious Achievement which she deserved and that I'm sure is still killing her husband Bob to this day, LOL!

I worked for her a couple of years up in Cal City and totally had a crush on her . . . and I still do . . .

I had a crush on her for awhile. In fact I was married to her for 10 years. :)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In that last photo you're sporting the Marine Corps uniform of the day, with a National Defense Ribbon, and what looks like Navy rank.

Are you a Corpsmen? Or are you just "bigging" yourself? LOL . . .

Bob who? I just call him my ex-husband in-law. Judy made me promise not to tell him. ;)

Yes I was a Hospital Corpsman with Golf Co. 2/3. That picture was taken the day I flew out of Norton on my way assist our trusted allies in South East Asia. Better known as Viet Nam, Republic of. [:/]

Small world ain’t it?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Jerry Schrimsher, Awarded in 2002 (with Sherry Schrimsher) (posthumously)
"For their selfless dedication to USPA's competition and instructional programs and as leaders of the community while serving on USPA's board of directors." [I wanted to steal an airplane and fly it into USPA headquarters after this one, if you can’t guess, it still chaps my ass to this day. Total Bozo!

Naaaa, he wasn't a Bozo, he was just goofy. sure thats where I got it from.:P

Well, I don't really think this is a bad mark on ES. In fact, I think it shows some backbone to him, that you never saw in CN.

Sorry if my post implied that it was a bad mark on ES. That was not my intention.

What I was trying to say is that since the board has usurped his authority by re-hiring the person he fired, that he will probably leave of his own accord and go someplace where his decisions are respected. As of now he gets to wonder if he has any decision making authority, or if the board is going to second guess him on everything. Who need that hanging over their head? Good people leave rather than put up with that.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

That is one of the biggest problems with OUR organization, is the fact that there are to many "lifers" on the meal ticket and it's way past time that we flush some and get some new blood in the ranks to lead us in to the future.

We need to start by getting rid of a lot of the BOD members and a few at HQ.

However as we all know, it will be a cold day in hell that we see the likes of Glenduh and company voted out and replaced with some fresh blood.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Sorry if my post implied that it was a bad mark on ES. That was not my intention.

What I was trying to say is that since the board has usurped his authority by re-hiring the person he fired, that he will probably leave of his own accord and go someplace where his decisions are respected. As of now he gets to wonder if he has any decision making authority, or if the board is going to second guess him on everything. Who need that hanging over their head? Good people leave rather than put up with that.

Hey Ian.. what do I need to do to join CSPA:ph34r:

Those are the facts that I know about.

THAT'S fuckin' Hilarious...:D

I've been given walking papers a few times from employers, sometimes with cause and sometimes without...either way I just signed on the line and boogied.

WHY on earth would you want to work with or near people that don't want ya there?! :S

I got fired from a corporate gig once for skydiving too much... they worded it differently of course but we all knew what and why I got spanked.

My boss knew it was wrong, tried to stop it... and said that I could have quite likely been reinstated upon appeal, he even recommended I do so and referred me to his attorney.

I was cleaning out my office when he asked how I was going to respond to the termination.

'By leaving immediately' I told him, 'to respond in any other manner would only lead to the incorrect assumption that ANY of you morons rate a second thought.' :ph34r:

~I was lookin' for a job when I found that one, no reason to get the panties in a bunch...life's to short to be working where you're not wanted! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~