KollegeKay

Newbie Questions - Airport travel, etc.

Greetings!

I am thinking ahead for my Spring Break, since this winter break vacation idea has fallen through, to travel down to Florida! The plan is for my Spring Break to be filled with SKYDIVING!!! What better place then a state with beautiful weather at the time! :P

I have yet to travel with a rig, does it required to be checked it? Can it be a carry on? What is the best way to travel through airport with your skydiving equipment? (Any suggestions)

Also, for those of you who are a) from the Florida area, or b) been in the Florida area:

Pros & Cons of choosing between Z-Hills and Skydive Sebatian during the end of March! [Discuss]

Things to consider:
---I am newly a-licensed
---I would like to camp out at the drop zone (tent)
---Food options on location
---I do not have a driver's license, therefore I cannot rent a vehicle

Thanks! :ph34r:
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Things to consider:
---I am newly a-licensed

Not a problem at either DZ

---I would like to camp out at the drop zone (tent)

I know it's not a problem at Z-Hills, don't know what the normal policy is during the non boogie times for Sebastian though. If you send me some pictures, I may be able to help you out with lodging. :)

---Food options on location

Both have snack shacks and beer on site.

---I do not have a driver's license, therefore I cannot rent a vehicle

I'm sure you can butter someone up to pick you up from the airport and get you to the DZ for some gas money/beer.

ETA: It might be cold, so don't be surprised if the temps drop into the 60's! :o:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I recommend this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3224190

And then a search on various terms like "travel with gear" or "travel with rig." You'll find lots and lots of threads with lots and lots of advice. Short answer: no, you don't have to check it. I almost always carry mine on, in a roller bag. It is always (by far) the single most important and expensive thing I'm traveling with; I'd rather not let it out of my sight.

Print a copy of this: http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Other_TSAletter.pdf
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Taking a rig onto an airplane isn't a big deal. When i fly with my rig I keep it as a carry on. The airliners insurance will not cover the cost of your rig if it is lost (small chance but it is a chance).

I prefer to put my rig into a wheelie bag. It is a big rig with a 210 and a 218 in it, but you can find a carry on bag that will fit it. This way i do not have to worry about my handles snagging or weird looks.

There is a printout at Cypres that shows what a rig with an AAD should look like on the x-ray. This will help if any questions arise.

The TSA also has a document (attached) that you should printout and take with you. It basically says that rigs with an AAD are approved to be on the airplane.

It also helps to be at the airport a little early so you have time to pack the rig if they want to inspect it. Also take a big trash bag with you so you can put the reserve in it if they search it (most likely will not happen but it pays to be prepared).
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

What dates are you traveling? Sebastian is having a boogie March 23-25 and Zhills will have an Easter boogie. In addition, Deland will have the Skydive Expo 4/3-8.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

like nwflyer said, do a forum search. You'll find all your info in those. There are pro's and con's to both ways. Read them all and make your own decision. It's your gear, so it's up to you. Personally I put my rig in a carry on bag & take it on board with me.

As for where to go:

I love Sebastian but they get a lot of wind that time of year IMO. but they are a LOT of fun. you'll probably hit one of their boogies that time of year. The TDS luau & Becca's Bootie Boogie are both around then. & they also usually have a bunch of smaller boogies too.

I also love Zhills. It's where I jump now. Haven't been here through March though. but it's always fun times on a normal weekend so I'm sure March will be fun too. B|

Hey I noticed are jump at Fort, I encourage invite you to come on over to East Troy for the winter, we jump all winter and don't bite. Also it would be nice if I maybe wasn't easily the youngest person around once and a while B|.

"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"

What dates are you traveling? Sebastian is having a boogie March 23-25 and Zhills will have an Easter boogie. In addition, Deland will have the Skydive Expo 4/3-8.

Yay! I might get to hit 4 boogies in 4 months then! :D

I'm in Tampa and would help out in giving you a ride but that's only if I have not found a job and moved away yet which probably won't have happened yet, and I gotta finish some work on my car by then.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

May I suggest that you get your driver's license over the winter? Plenty of time. It will also ease many issues for life in general.

Although, if you aren't 21, most car rental agencies won't rent to you, but still, get the little card that says you can legally drive anyway. It may come in handy when you least expect it :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

May I suggest that you get your driver's license over the winter? Plenty of time. It will also ease many issues for life in general.

Although, if you aren't 21, most car rental agencies won't rent to you, but still, get the little card that says you can legally drive anyway. It may come in handy when you least expect it :P

Cause that'll be easy driving on the ice, with gloves and jackets on:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I prefer to put my rig into a wheelie bag. It is a big rig with a 210 and a 218 in it, but you can find a carry on bag that will fit it.

What bag do you use? I also have a 210/218 combo and I'm looking for something that I can put my rig in for travel as carry-on.

I'm in Tampa

You're back?

Ok, so technically I'm not but I mean I live in Tampa when I am. :P Not till first week in Feb. Either 4th or 11th more than likely. 4th gives me an extra week of jumping before the boogies, 11th gives me an extra week of cash before becoming jobless. Decisions decisions. Either way I'll be back by then though. Then after the boogies I gotta fix my car. Got a nice crack in the back that's ugly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Not possible & would not matter, a rental place would not accept my application. Maybe I will be driving next fall.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver