eralaek

Night show jump!

I hope you can help me on this one... I am going to do a night jump at a winter festival here in Ostersund, Sweden. Do you have any do's and don't's regarding flares, pyro or fireworks?

I am thinking about using Ikarus Flares:

http://www.hansson-pyrotech.com/prod_s-white_m.htm

But maybe you have experience on something better?

Do you know what these guys are using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BS0muHByM

Grateful for any help!!

/Lars Eklund

I personally gave up night jumps when I moved from a 249 sq ft canopy to a 135. You'll notice that the jumpers in that youtube link are jumping quite large canopies.

If I recall correctly, there was someone who caught their canopy on fire in the early 70's, so be certain that you know your materials, and buy extras to practice on the ground.

I did one with a group of wingsuiters at Summerfest this year - video can be found here: http://vimeo.com/27498985

We used custom made devices, which you can see in some of the still shots. Contact Rook Nelson at Skydive Chicago and ask him for the contact information for his pyrotechnics guy.

And get a really, really good bracket if you're going to play with fire in the air.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

We (well, Flock U) DID use those military smoke grenades, but only after a significant modification to the smoke bracket from the one in the video. They were over-rated in the air, actually, and didn't burn all that long.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

This flare you linked seems too weak for getting the effect like on that video.
Whatever you use keep in mind that it flares generate a lot of heat so you should secure it somehow away from canopy/equipment and from your body.
I think the usual application would be hanging the flare beneath you by the steel wire.
As I read here, Airtwardo has lots of experience with this stuff. I have recently read some of his interesting stories from "back in the day" with jumping with pyro. So you might ask him. (helped me with my fluour-sock jumps)

Another thing to consider... Night demo? Landing area size? Feel up to it?
dudeist skydiver #42

I did one with a group of wingsuiters at Summerfest this year - video can be found here: http://vimeo.com/27498985

We used custom made devices, which you can see in some of the still shots. Contact Rook Nelson at Skydive Chicago and ask him for the contact information for his pyrotechnics guy.

And get a really, really good bracket if you're going to play with fire in the air.

Looks awesome, just what I need! Thanks!

I saw a video of a baseball game a few weeks back and there were some people that taped it and thought you guys were UFO's! Awesome. :D

Back in the 80's we were doing a LOT of test jumping with various kinds of pyro both for free-fall and under canopy. It was at a small DZ in the Midwest kinda out in the middle of nowhere...the next day there were all kinds of UFO sightings in the local newspaper!

"One big ship that split apart into four little ones that flew away really fast."

The pilot kept calling us UFI's not UFO's...'Unbelievable Fucking Idiots' :o:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~