zues

Colleges with DZ's nearby

I'm hoping for somewhere in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Utah... Somewhere near the Rockies. I have to support my skiing habit as well ! Hahaha.

But seriously, the school doesn't matter, thanks to Uncle Sam I'll be attending free of charge.

I'm looking into schools and go figure I'm more concerned with skydiving than my education...

Anybody know of any schools with a DZ within an hours drive?

The University of Colorado at Boulder.

There's a Cessna DZ for hop-and-pops 5 miles from campus and turbine DZ 16 miles away. Fort Morgan is probably under an hour too. There are plenty of winter days over 40 degrees (my limit for choosing to skydive) and there were never any months I didn't jump over the decade I lived in Boulder.

Eldora ski area (the trees are great after a dump) is 20 miles away although lift capacity is limited and it gets skied off so on weekends you'd want to drive an hour and a half + up to the continental divide where Loveland isn't too touristy and is right off I70. Copper Mountain, Winter Park, and Arapaho Basin aren't much farther.

Unlike many public schools built on cheap land in the middle of nowhere there are other things to do around there (one of my friends brothers got a speeding ticket doing 140 MPH to get away from the University of Missouri at Rolla, when I visited the University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana they told me their students went to nearby St Louis (80 miles) for the weekend, etc.)

go figure I'm more concerned with skydiving than my education...

:D:D I got accepted at every university I applied to but went to Southern Illinois because they had an 'active' parachute team...funny though when I actually got there I found out another guy & I Were IT! B|

I got a job at the local DZ instructing, built a successful university team, did a lotta demos at school, made some money and had tons of fun!

Oh yeah, ................I got a degree too.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The school does matter.

I'd pick a school that has a good program for what I want rather than just a DZ close by.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

University of Wisconsin Madison or Milwaukee.
30-45 min away= Atmosphair skydiving center (2 c-182s), Seven hills (c-182), East Troy (pac 750, c-182).

1-2 hours=Chicago skydive center (pac 750, twin otter), Skydive Chicago (two twin otters, c-182 and lots of other neat aircraft frequently), Skydive Midwest (King air and cheap jump tix)

No tunnel yet though. Hopefully someday soon we'll see a tunnel near Chicago.

I agree with Ron. The school does count.

The University of South Florida stacks up well. Good school and year-round access to:

Skydive Tampa: 40 minutes
Z-hills: 40 minutes
Lake Wales: 60 minutes
Deland: 90 minutes
Orlando wind tunnel: 75 minutes

No skiing though.

But make sure you pick a school with a program you want to pursue for the next 30 years. A good education and job you enjoy will open up every DZ in the country. Although Uncle Sam is paying, put his money to good use for you.

And thanks for your service.