jrh

Easily airline-accessible DZs

Here is my unusual situation: I just started working for an airline and now have the ability to travel almost anywhere, on any airline, for free (jumpseating).

The problem is that I will be based in Marion, Illinois, about two hours southeast of St. Louis. Since I'm lowest seniority in the base, I'll be working almost every weekend. I don't think there are any DZs within easy driving distance that are open weekdays in the winter, so I figured I'd put my travel benefits to work and jumpseat out to a DZ on my days off.

So I'm looking for a DZ, pretty much anywhere in the country, that meets the following criteria:

--Close to an airport with a fair amount of commercial airline service...I need options to get in and out in case one flight's jumpseat is already taken.
--Preferably accessible from said airport via mass transit or shuttle bus, so I don't have to rent a car.
--Preferably has a bunkhouse so I don't have to get a hotel room.
--Open for jumping on Wednesdays/Thursdays, even during the winter. I work Friday-Monday and have Tuesday-Thursday off.

I know this is a tall order. Does such a place exist? There must be something in Florida or California, right? I'll go anywhere to get my knees in the breeze!

Perris and Elsinore are within an hour of four large airports, and just over an hour away from a coupla others.

LAX
ONT
SNA
LGB
SDA
PSP

Both have bunkhouses. Both are open Wed/Thurs. Mass transit is gonna be a hassle to most any DZ, but if you're flying into SNA or ONT, lots of people that could probably help out with a ride.

Thanks for the tip. Elsinore is a fantastic place. I made several jumps there last spring and was very impressed. I'd love to come back. What is the easiest way to contact possible carpools?

Just to keep my options open, anyone know of an Elsinore-esque place in Florida I could get to?

Florida generally has easier airline connections out of STL simply because it's only one timezone shift, rather than two, like out to California. But now I'm just getting picky ;-)

Just to keep my options open, anyone know of an Elsinore-esque place in Florida I could get to?

ZHills. It's pretty close to Tampa airport; I don't think there's public transit but there might be shuttles or you could call the DZ to see if anyone can give you a ride out. There's not a bunkhouse, but there are folks that rent out trailers on the DZ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Skydive the Farm is just over an hour from Atlanta airport. No public transport that I am aware of (I always have rental cars). There is a bunk house but no onsite catering during the week.

There is some jumping during the week. If Atlanta works for you, then PM popsjumper or hans on here.

Do what I'm doing, get your pilot's license and then the world is your DZ, most of them are at airports that you're free to land at and then just taxi to wherever the dz will let you park your plane.

Sure, it's expensive, but hey, its fun!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lake Wales and Deland are both about an hour away from MCO. I don't know of any kind of shuttle services, but you could ask the dz if anyone offers rides.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Do what I'm doing, get your pilot's license and then the world is your DZ, most of them are at airports that you're free to land at and then just taxi to wherever the dz will let you park your plane.

I'm thinking he's already got that covered. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Blah blah blah :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Indeed! I've played the "fly to a DZ" game before in my Cessna 140. Lots of fun. Unfortunately I put my plane in storage because I found I wasn't flying it enough during the cold months to justify keeping its inspections current.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I have some very promising ideas now. Let me know if there are any other options which haven't been mentioned yet.

There is a shuttle bus :http://www.dots-daytonabeach.com/ from orlando airport to Deland. There is a bunk house and a lot of people that rent out rooms. Check with the DZ for the list of rentals.
You could get a locker at the DZ and keep a tent in it to camp out.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316