mgs13

Best hand luggage bag for a Rig

I just had to tell someone. I've been searching for a carry on bag that can hold a rig and finally someone has come up with a brilliant one, the IT-0-2 by Landor & Hawa.

This one is ingenious as the handles are down the side, not the middle, so a flat base to pack in and comes in a good size 55 x 38.

Just flown out to Florida with a Javelin/ Sabre 150 rig and an Apple mac - all in hand luggage allowance, now up to 23kg with BA.

here's an example
http://www.directluggage.co.uk/it-0-2-super-lightweight-two-wheel-cabin-trolley-case-55cm-black.html

Not linked at all with the company, just one very happy customer, hope it's useful :)

I was talking with some chick that worked for some air line and she said that they can ask you to check your chute... Has anyone had any issues with bringing your rig on the plane?

She said they were afraid that you would jump out... I was like "traveling 600 mph at 35k ft.... sounds like suicide before you even got a chance to pull."

Also they were talking about the AAD and the cutter pyrotechnics, or that you cant open the reserve...

Anyone have any of these problems?
Cheers

Jon W

Here is a discussion of the TSA rules in the U.S.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

Airlines can impose stricter rules if they want. (for instance no roll large carryons on small planes) But if it's in a case they will never know its a parachute. A lot of employees of TSA and the airlines don't know the rules. If you ever have an issue be sure to ask for a supervisor. USPA and PIA have provided information on traveling with your parachute. And USPA and PIA helped develop the TSA rules for inspecting parachutes. Neither organization has the full set of guidelines since skydivers can be terrorists too. The last thing we want is a terrorist to use a parachute to carry dangerous items on board. That may be the end of carry on parachutes.

Note that TSA CAN open your either main or reserve to inspect it if they choose. You are/must be allowed to be present to assist.

As to the bag in the OP. That handle design doesn't allow you to slide your briefcase over the handle. Most carryons work. Just try to remember to check your hook knife. Some screeners care, some don't.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Note that TSA CAN open your either main or reserve to inspect it if they choose. You are/must be allowed to be present to assist.

That sucks, so i either pay 20-30 bucks to check a rig and still have a chance at paying 60-80 bucks for a reserve pack job.... or carry it on and still have that chance.... lose lose [:/]

If they didn't find anything i'd ask them to pay for my pack job :P

Thanks that answered my questions!
Cheers

Jon W

Opening a parachute is rare. But has happened. Be aware of it's exposure to nitrates and other things that might test as possible explosive. I don't travel a lot with a parachute but mine has almost always been swabbed.

Save money, become a rigger.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Carry on all the time. TSA agents can be idiots, but once you get the supervisors with the actual rule book it's ok. Only had a real problem flying out of MCO.

Once through security no issues, it is just a carry-on. I know it's early, and you wanna tell everyone that you are a skydiver.....but when flying, just shut up, and carry the rig on, and no one will ever know.

That sucks, so i either pay 20-30 bucks to check a rig and still have a chance at paying 60-80 bucks for a reserve pack job.... or carry it on and still have that chance.... lose lose [:/]

If they didn't find anything i'd ask them to pay for my pack job :P

Thanks that answered my questions!

In reality, I have never had any TSA official want to open my reserve. On the contrary, they seem very respectful and unwilling to touch it. They may want to rescan it (without the carry-on bag) but I have always asked if I can be the one to remove it from the bag. A couple of useful tips:

1. If they do ask about opening the reserve, explain that the reserve was packed, and the lead seal applied by an FAA appointed rigger. This MAY carry some weight.

2. If asked about the AAD, avoid saying that it is a "knife powered by an explosive" (:S), opting instead for an explanation such as "a device which opens the reserve parachute in the event of an emergency"

Back on topic; I use this bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Under-Luggage-Checks-Black/dp/B002C5L1WM

The few times I've traveled with a rig (2 round trips to date) I've never had a problem with the airline staff. I get a few extra stares from the other passengers, but I usually carefully stow my rig below the seat in front of me.

On my last trip leaving Minot, ND, one of the TSA agents grabbed my rig, looked at me and said they were going to open it. I responded (without thinking) "no you're not". She was kind of shocked and repeated that they were (this was 5:30 in the AM) and I said, "Fine, please make sure you have a rigger on standby then." Her boss laughed and told me not to worry, they weren't going to touch it, she was new and didn't know what a parachute rig looked like.

Coming home I was flying out of San Antonio and they asked me if it was mine, said they needed to test it, waited for me to grab all my things, took it over to the analyzer, and I gave the agent a brief description of how a modern rig operates.

EDIT: I just carry it on the plane on my back, since I travel with all my luggage as my carry-on. I think it's safe to assume that a parachute is a "personal item" B|

I once had a TSA guy tell me that new guidelines required that they open the main and reserve. I asked him to show me the paper, since I knew that was not the case, he refused. He would not get a supervisor. My only choice was to open up both canopies or go back to the ticket counter and check it in.

To those that want to carry it on - not in a bag...this is not a good idea because there are plenty of nervous people out there that will get security people involved as you wait for your flight. We do not need or want that kind of attention, as the hassle resulting from such incidents will encourage individual airlines, airports, and even the whole TSA to revisit their policy that allows us to carry on our rigs. Having it visible will cause problems and hurt us all, so please just don't do it. You might have to check it in as I did anyway, so you'd want to have in a bag for that possibility.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Taking a rig as carry on but not in a bag is IMHO daft - no one cares how cool you think you are... put it in a bag:S

More than that, I would hate to travel with exposed handles. The risk of an inadvertent reserve pull would not be worth it.

On that note, I tie down my reserve handle with my chest strap when I travel. That way it is secure, but you can't forget to unsecure it before jumping (like you could eg. if you used a cable tie).

I once had a TSA guy tell me that new guidelines required that they open the main and reserve. I asked him to show me the paper, since I knew that was not the case, he refused. He would not get a supervisor. My only choice was to open up both canopies or go back to the ticket counter and check it in.

you weren't vocal enough then in telling him to go fuck himself. I had to go through two supervisors at MCO last time:
Him: "sir I am the supervisor"
Me: "You have a boss right?"
Him: "yes sir"
Me: "then get the, because you don't know the regulations either"

To those that want to carry it on - not in a bag...this is not a good idea because there are plenty of nervous stupid people out there that will get security people involved as you wait for your flight.

FTFY

you weren't vocal enough then in telling him to go fuck himself. I had to go through two supervisors at MCO last time:
Him: "sir I am the supervisor"
Me: "You have a boss right?"
Him: "yes sir"
Me: "then get the, because you don't know the regulations either"

To those that want to carry it on - not in a bag...this is not a good idea because there are plenty of nervous stupid people out there that will get security people involved as you wait for your flight.

FTFY

What you've said sounds obvious. They should follow their written guidelines. This was not the case, as I said he was making up shit from the beginning and didn't want to nicely let me talk to his boss. When they refuse to do what they ought to do, it is not so easy to just decide to "be more vocal". They don't have to get their boss, if they want to assert their authority and not be questioned. Of course if I had caused a really big fuss (if I had "been more vocal"), then I would face the risk of putting myself up for MUCH more scrutiny (time/strip search/whatever) as a troublemaker. combine that with facing the prospect of spending a bunch of time "being more vocal" with no certain prospect of a positive result, I chose to be sure I would have the time to go back through the check in line, and give my bag enough time to get on the plane.

On the distinction between nervous/stupid people...no difference in the result.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I just had to tell someone. I've been searching for a carry on bag that can hold a rig and finally someone has come up with a brilliant one, the IT-0-2 by Landor & Hawa.

This one is ingenious as the handles are down the side, not the middle, so a flat base to pack in and comes in a good size 55 x 38.

Just flown out to Florida with a Javelin/ Sabre 150 rig and an Apple mac - all in hand luggage allowance, now up to 23kg with BA.

here's an example
http://www.directluggage.co.uk/it-0-2-super-lightweight-two-wheel-cabin-trolley-case-55cm-black.html

Not linked at all with the company, just one very happy customer, hope it's useful :)

Back to the bag :) Thanks! Im heading from Australia to the US next week and been searching around for a decent carry on bag for my rig.

Looks like there is a supplier 15Mins away..Will go check it out after work. Thanks again!.

.... Then I can try to explain how the AAD is an exploding knife.

From post #7:

2. If asked about the AAD, avoid saying that it is a "knife powered by an explosive" (Crazy), opting instead for an explanation such as "a device which opens the reserve parachute in the event of an emergency"

LOL - ok, man, if your idea of fun is being fisted by a TSA agent - then crack on!

With or without the watch on?

What are peoples experiences at airports outside the US? Going to Nicaragua in March and it sounds like leaving will be ok but wondering about returning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

LOL - ok, man, if your idea of fun is being fisted by a TSA agent - then crack on!

What are peoples experiences at airports outside the US? Going to Nicaragua in March and it sounds like leaving will be ok but wondering about returning.

In my sample size of two (Toronto and Belize City), not that different from the U.S. In Toronto I had to check my rig only because Air Canada had a carryon weight restriction of 10KG, and my rig is heavier than that. But I was allowed to take it through security myself then there was a weigh station where (after your bag was determined to be too heavy) you were given the opportunity to send it to checked baggage. The rig itself was of no interest to the screeners, though.

As for Belize ... chill. Hell, they still let you leave your shoes on there. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My sample size is a little more extensive than NW's but my experience is the same.
I have gone through maybe 6 - 7 countries with my rig as both Cabin and cargo luggage and never had an real issues.
The only time I did have an issue, was domestically when i travel mate was slightly less than straight and when asked "do you have anything to declare". He responded with "yeah but it's only a little bomb.":S

Took me over an hour to sort that shit out:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You BEST option is to STFU and carry on as if there's nothing special there, because, well, THERE NOTHING SPECIAL THERE.

As to carrying an exposed rig on a flight is the act of someone desperately wanting attention, I hope you get it.:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I thought I'd have issues flying from London to the US, but going out of Gatwick I wasn't even asked to open the bag. I'd printed out all the Cypres letters just in case, approval letters from the US and from the UK.

Flying back to the UK out of Tampa on Wed so I'll see how it goes.

I now have lots of space to take back a new Apache wingsuit plus lots of other cheap goodies too!

Super easy out of Tampa too so no problems on the US side either. They knew about parachutes. Just wanted to check for a hook knife or a CO2 canister. Didn't even take the rig out of the bag to look at it.

If your maxed out on hold luggage weight then this option certainly worked for me!

sky train by red oxx. the company was started by an ex-military master rigger. the stuff they make is made with the same materials and methods that your rig is. it's tough stuff. it's not cheap stuff either.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001