Genie

Rec.skydiving - Sound off!

TreeTop dropped off the face of the Earth a few years ago.

Actually Treetop has shown up here a few times within the last year under different names only to be quickly banned...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What'd Treetop do to create such hostility?

I enjoyed jumping w/him in Ellijay in the mid-90's. Miss him & a bunch of others.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Hi Noelle!

Some of my favorite posts were from Dan Rossi about his experiences as a blind skydiver, especially the one about the origin of "flare when you hear the crickets." Anyone know if he's still around/jumping? I also remember someone in true rec dot fashion posting long lines of nonsense to confuse his speech synthesizer :D

Gregor!!!!!! How are you!! You were one of the people I was thinking of when talkign about the kindness of strangers in my 12 years post :) Still remember how kind you and your wife were... long time ago now - still at delmarva i see ?? :D Tracy and Martin arent there anymore are they? Heard something about that...

I posted there, too, even though I wasn't skydiving at the time :ph34r:. I pissed off just about as many people there as I do here.

But I quit going there when it got stupid. I'm just not big on the flaming and the FB-type of back-and-forth most of hte time.

Wendy P.

I remember you too Wendy, I liked your posts :D

Hi folks

I got into rec. late.

user name probably R.I.P.

Old fiddle posts here ..... snow white.

Can anyone do a snuffy imitation. One peer peep will be enough.

Snort, fart, check the spot before you exit, something about a tree,....... on and on.

I miss rec.:)
K-RIP

R.I.P - a preacher and we called you Rev yes?? Yes i remember you!! You were just a whippersnapper back then lol! Good to see you again!

I still drop in from time to time but more active on ukskydiver.co.uk these days.

Nice to hear from you Noelle :)

Hey Colin!!! Taken part in any more drive by water gun shootings lately?? I can recommend you as a wheel man if necessary :D

I might be coming over your way in the next while... have you on Skype, so ill catch you there ;)

Hey all,

I used to be Noelle from Ireland on the wreck... still any of you old bods still around?? (waves and Bill Von who she knows is still here :)

I'm thinking of Treetop, Jim Bozo, Snuffy (still alive?) David (still fighting with Snuffy?) Peter from Oz, Marc of weightvest fame, among others - you know who you are :)

How many still around and active here instead now??

Looking forward to catching up with y'all...

Genie/Noelle

Of the people who used to post on wreck, most are out of the sport or dead.

It used to be that when one of us died it was skydiving-related, but now it seems more likely that we are succumbing to cancer and such.

The half-life in the sport is only a couple of years, and most participants are around no more than 7 years (I should track down the source of those stats).

Anyhow, the de-evolution of rec.skydiving was so repellent that many people lost interest in an on-line skydiving community. For the rest of us, DZ.com has taken the place of recdot.

All things being considered, I prefer getting banned now and then to putting up with the endless drivel on recdot. It would be nice to have a killfile, however.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Hi Windsor! I do of course remember you well :) The drivel towards the end really was too much but i had a lot of laughs from rec.skydiving before it imploded like that...My independent soul does rebel somewhat at the concept of moderation, but the rec was a very cautionary tale as to when it can be necessary, when others choose not to regulate themselves.

I did lose interest myself for quite a while in online skydiving communities, but i realised recently that i have been very lax in my reading and learning in recent years, and the things i *think* i know, may have all changed now.. so I might be becoming a little more active again now perhaps.. ;) Still great to hear from those I do remember. Winsor, you always stood out as articulate, well spoken, and able to reason an argument all the way to the end. Always enjoyed your posts and thoughts :)
Genie

...im not dead. LOL

Neither am I.
Started out on wreck daht from AOL as SkyRhino, most posts were under tha moniker or my userid here.

It was fun while it lasted - even led to a couple of fun boogies where we got to put faces with some of the names.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

That was a fun trip! never forget arriving at Delmarva at about 12 midnight, wandering out toward the decking and hearing a drawl saying Hi, you wanna Marguerita???" Only one answer for that question :) And Major congratulations on Baby and Doggy to you both, thats great news :) Really happy for you!

Woot! Glad to hear it Jimbo!! Yes we did have some good conversations and i missed them, good to see you again /hug..

Dunno if we could have the same kind of conversation in public here tho ;) but i see we have PM's too! :)
Drop you a line in a minute or two ;)

Genie/Noelle

I was Ofiddle on the Rec. Peanut and Llucky were there, and I got to help them plan and execute their wedding in Rantoul at the WFFC one year. I think the marriage may have lasted just about that long too. Peanut went to the big sand box for a while to help speed up his retirement from the government.
RevJim came and helped us set up in Rantoul a couple of different years, and I occasionally still talk to him. Rarely, but occasionally.
One of my favorite long threads on the rec, was "Cat Passing".
It was hilarious, lasted for weeks, the more outlandish it got, the more the 'cat lovers' would weigh in.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I remember OFiddle!!! Hey Beth how are you doing? And Peanut and Lucky arent together anymore ? Aww :( That was sweet at the time i was hanging out on the rec.. And i remember the cat passing thread too... that was funny... And Dan Rossi's were also good... another one i remember of his in addition to the ones above was the time he was helped out to the aircraft with the white stick, and sun glasses.. helped to seat himself in the pilots seat, and then then told the three static liner students to get in... and they all did, completely unpreturbed by the fact that a blind guy was going to fly the plane :)

Nice to see you/hear you again Beth.. and when i clicked into your profile i noticed your I love skydivers post.. hmm Muff Brothers St Patricks day 2012 is sounding enticing :) i was at the 15th annual one i think.. still have the tshirt somewhere :)

Genie

I believe I was "bvaskydive" on rec.skydiving.

I remember Snuffy, BillVon, Nippleboy, Peanut, etc but not much else.

im crushed , Billy :o(

Of course I remember you Bozo! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Back when it was just a Georgia problem.

I started bitching about them when they became an Alabama problem. Fucking cunts put phone book ads in the Birmingham Yellow Pages, set up SkydiveBirmingham websites and tacked up signs and pasted stickers all over the city, and lied their asses off when customers expecting to get through to the original Pell City DZ, ended up calling Cedartown by mistake, then asked for Pell City and got told "they're closed, but we can help you".

The rest is history. Fucking CUNTS. >:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I posted there with about the same frequency that I post here....that is to say not very often.

yeah what he said..;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .