MarieL

Please help with Jumpsuit design research!

Hi everyone,

I'm a clothing design student who is currently researching sportswear and specifically skydiving wear.

As part of our research so far, some fellow students and I did some indoor/ wind tunnel skydiving, which resulted in at least one of us being hooked and wanting to progress to the real thing!

To be completely thorough In my research I need to speak to my potential consumer, which is you guys. I would really appreciate it if people could share their thoughts on jumpsuits, particularly the kind of questions below. This would be a great help with our research and our eventual aim of developing jumpsuits and improving on what is currently available.

1) What type of skydiving do you mostly do?

2) What brand is your current suit and are you happy with it?

3) How do you think jumpsuits could be improved

4) What is required of your jumpsuit in terms of comfort, functionality and aesthetics?

5) For the female skydiver, how important is it for you to have clothing designed specifically for women?

If anyone can take the time to answer any (or all :)

wingsuiting. besides that freeflying, formation skydiving and tandem

WS : Phoenixfly Ghost3, Vampire2 yes, yes
FF : Sonic Flywerar V2 and Classic , yes, yes
FS : Symbiosis, yes
Tandem : Sonic flywear classic, yes

they are all exactly how I want them, the only better point would be if they were cheaper

4) What is required of your jumpsuit in terms of comfort, functionality and aesthetics?
all 3, in the same order

5) For the female skydiver, how important is it for you to have clothing designed specifically for women?
not applicable to me, but yes, I prefer to see ladies in women clothing rather than in potato bags.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

- FF
- Matter. Not very happy, mostly based customer service (non existant), and the fact that the suit is a low end suit. Bad fabrics and sloppy feel.. Just put in an order for a Boogieman.
- Cheaper would be nice. As for options, I think I'm covered as long as I go for a high-end suit (Boogieman, Sonic, LiquidSky, Vertical etc..)
- Not too hot, but still provides some protection from cold when jumping in Nordic countries/cold conditions (best of both worlds might not be possible, I know).
- see answer in previous post.

Freefly
Some camera
I used to do FS

Deepseed - yes
o2xs - yes
symbiosis - yes

Huge question - there are so many options available to buyers that frankly you can get exactly what you want somewhere. As they're custom made, if you want something novel, virtually all manufacturers will be able to accomodate your requirements... for a price.

As above really, price is the issue - but you're getting a custom, made to measure suit so you get what you pay for and if you want to cut the price, buy second hand and put up with something that's kinda right if not exactly right (or get lucky with what you find on the market / pay to modify it).

Perhaps some extra cold weather features for those of us who jump in cold climates could be good but there are limits to what can be achieved and in any event, most cold weather jumpers augment their jumpsuit with extra layers.

I used to jump all in one jumpsuits for freefly - I currently have a 2 piece. Both had advantages but I got fed up with having to either sweat through packing with a big ass jumpsuit tied round my waist, getting in the way/spend time taking it all the way off then putting it all the way back on again from scratch for my next jump (pain in the arse).

2 piece means I can take just the jacket off and pack then put it back on again for the next jump. Also means I can ditch the jacket on really hot days and just jump in pants.

It also means I can remove the jacket and use the pants with my camera jacket giving me flexability to create 2 full suites from 1 set of pants and two different jackets.

Camera jacket has a couple of limitations in terms of functionalilty over a full suit but I adopt my flying style to accomodate and I have the above ref. flexability by having a 2 jacket/1 pant set as a pay off.

FS suit I never really use but it's perfect for my neads were I to do more FS. Its top of the range jumpsuit stopping just short of being a full competition spec suit. I wouldn't really use the extra features of a comp spec suit as I'm no good at flat anyway.

Colours - so much choice on the market means you can get exactly what you want. Ditto functionality if there was something specific you wanted doing differently.

Sorry, I'm a bloke so struggle to give you meaningful input. I do like how lycra back sections make things snug though... :)

Custom fit pants are er... nice too. :$

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I think maybe a suit with a removable thermal lining would be a good thing, so it could be suitable for a number of different seasons or climates.

Thanks,

Marie.

I believe Sympiosis makes (or at least made a few years back) a thin polar jumpsuit to be worn inside the suit.

To be honest, considering the changes in temperature through the day , layers is better than 1 piece add-ons.
Remster

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I think maybe a suit with a removable thermal lining would be a good thing, so it could be suitable for a number of different seasons or climates.

Thanks,

Marie.

Yes and no. I'm a feather-butt (I fall very slowly) so I need a "Fast" suit. That means the fit needs to be pretty snug.
I have a tight suit for summer, and a looser suit for colder weather - It fits snugly when I layer up underneath.
A removable liner wouldn't work for me because it would be too baggy with the liner removed.

And for your OP:

Belly, little bit of Freefly (more like freeflailing :P)

Tonysuit, one belly one FF, yes to both.

Don't know, the customization available is pretty extensive.

Comfort - proper fit, proper materials.
Functionality - allows me to maintain a good speed, durability.
Asthetics - What is that??? Mostly kidding ;) My belly suit is a "hand-me-down", a gift from a jumper who had "outgrown" it. It's purple, black and (very faded) neon green. My FF suit was off the rack. It looks cool, but to be honest, asthetics are way down on my list.

I'm a guy, so my opinions on female needs are probably way off, but since females are often smaller and lighter, and because of this have fall rate issues, they need a proper fit. It doesn't have to be specifically designed for women, but it has to be fit properly to the individual.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I believe Sympiosis makes (or at least made a few years back) a thin polar jumpsuit to be worn inside the suit.

the Rainbow thermal suit is great

best option I have on my Sonic classic suits is not on the option list.... But they did them for me (I only know of 3 suits with that, including 2 of my suits)... Jean pockets... so I can put my hands in the pockets while on the ground.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

RW belly but I wear my freefly suit for it (no booties/no grippers) I use it because of fall rate issues. If I wear my belly suit I go way to fast if its above a 6 way.

Both of my suits are hand me downs. I know my belly suit is an old Michigan suit & when I can wear it I love it.

I don't know who made my freefly suit but I only have it because it was free. Not a huge fan.

pockets :D I love pockets on jumpsuits. I like to carry my chapstick & a pull up cord at least. I'd love to be able to take my cell phone without being afraid of loosing it. Right now my pockets aren't secure enough for that.

And as above, a good suit costs an arm and a leg (hence me using super old hand me downs)

The ordering process is a pain too. You're given a generic layout of the different boxy panels of fabric & you pick colors for those panels. If you want the look to be anything but those particular panels (for instance you want a stripe in the torso or something) you pretty much need to visit the manufacturer or have lengthy email sessions to make sure they understand what you want. The "design a suit" programs dont give you options other than the generic panels when most companies will do more custom works. Making it more like a MS paint program with simple options for a paintbrush feature would be nice to give them a visual of what you want custom made.

A good fit for comfort. Also easy to put on. I've seen people spend like 10 minutes trying to get their booties on. That seems excessive & silly to me when I know some booties take 30 seconds.

Again, pockets! B|

A wide color range for aesthetics.

Yes certain cuts look better on us. I've put on jumpsuits that were clearly made for a guy who was (or at least believed they were) "well hung". ;) WAY too much room in the crotch but super tight across my butt. Clearly the fabric isnt in the right place for a girl.

Thankyou guys (and lady!)

You've given me some great leads on research. I didn't realise there were such issues with women skydivers and fall rate.

I also presumed outside pockets would be a no-no because you wouldn't want to lose valuables etc but I suppose that's where the secure fastening comes in.

and fall rate.

Not sure what you meant, but fall rate control, for men and women, are a very important aspect of jumpsuits.

Some RW jumpsuits are available with or without extra material in the armpit are (think wings) to slow fall rates, and most companies offer a variety of materials to help control fall rate (from slick PVC coated fabrics, to poly-cotton or cordura).
Remster

Freefly - Sonic - Happy
Camera - Tony - Happy
Suit improvement.... 2 thoughts...
1. After the jump, when it's warm, most jumpers get out of the top half of their suits, tie the sleeves around their waist and spend the rest of their time on the ground hitching the suit back up on their hips as the sleeves knot loosens. Suits could have either a belt (internal or external) OR an over the sholder elastic strap attached to the waist of the suit.
2. boosters need to have an arrangement to allow them to be "stashed". You only need them in the air. Most of the day they're flopping around and tripping you up. Maybe a tuck tab or a a pop fastener on the tab on the toe of the booster ??

the Rainbow thermal suit is great

best option I have on my Sonic classic suits is not on the option list.... But they did them for me (I only know of 3 suits with that, including 2 of my suits)... Jean pockets... so I can put my hands in the pockets while on the ground.

arent you a leutnant in military? they should of made them, then sewn them together.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

1) Mostly free fly but some relative work

2) Matter FF suit - it's OK
Symbiosis RW suit - again OK

3 & 4) I like a close fitting suit around the torso so it wont foul on my handles. I had my FF suit modified with some neoprene panels to allow a bit of stretch for when I'd been on the pies a bit too much that month, or need to wear thermals underneath.
I also find that the booties on my RW suit can come undone which is annoying, so a decent method of securing them is a must.
Reinforced knees and butt are a good idea too as they always wear out. External pockets need a zip and velcro to secure them.
Velcro isn't a great option for cuffs and neck as it tends to wear out and the hook part also grabs on other stuff (like rigs) and wears them out too, so as little velcro as possible please.
It must also be sewed together like it needs to withstand a hurricane, because it does, especially in the wind tunnel where it will get ripped to shreds if it isn't totally bullet proof.

5) Definitely. The mark of a really good jump suit is how good your ass looks in it.

FYI...
I think the last thing the skydiving community needs is some Fashion Merchandising Yahoo turning out jumpsuits. Please don't take this personally, but, each "quality" jumpsuit is custom made for an individual jumper (male, female, or anywhere in-between). They're designed based on a variety of conditions including size, weight, body type, sex, and specific skydiving discipline.

These are "one off" works of art that also function well. There wouldn't be much market for "off the shelf", "one size fits all", jumpsuits except maybe for the tandem student market. And, they'd wear a clown suite if we told them it was all the rage! B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

And, they'd wear a clown suite if we told them it was all the rage! B|

I don't know, have you seen some of them freefly suits them young wipper snappers are wearing these days?:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And, they'd wear a clown suite if we told them it was all the rage! B|

I don't know, have you seen some of them freefly suits them young wipper snappers are wearing these days?:D

:oI'd start free flying, but, I'm waiting for Seersucker material to come back into fashion. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Naked jumping

Birthday suit - C'mon. Is anybody really happy with their birthday suit?

They should be tear-away, for easy removal in the airplane.

Comfort - Nothing is more comfortable than nothing
Functionality - OK. No pockets is a hassle
Aesthetics - You got me on that one. "NOBODY looks good naked in freefall".

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

FYI...
I think the last thing the skydiving community needs is some Fashion Merchandising Yahoo turning out jumpsuits. Please don't take this personally, but, each "quality" jumpsuit is custom made for an individual jumper (male, female, or anywhere in-between). They're designed based on a variety of conditions including size, weight, body type, sex, and specific skydiving discipline.

These are "one off" works of art that also function well. There wouldn't be much market for "off the shelf", "one size fits all", jumpsuits except maybe for the tandem student market. And, they'd wear a clown suite if we told them it was all the rage! B|

Well I'm a design student, I'm not into marketing and I'm carrying out a research project. I won't be inflicting any crazy clown suits on anyone, honest!

I think your answer makes it really clear the fact that skydivers have very individual needs. Thanks.

I know I already replied but other's mention pockets - dear god I miss normal pockets on jumpsuits. They're always a complete pain in the arse, in odd places, and have a faf of a closure mechanism.

If you could design a reliable way of putting normal pockets on to a jumpsuit which dont get in the way, aren't even a slim potential saftey issue and can be reliably closed with a system which doesn't eat your hands/gear and can't accidentally be left open you would have a winner.

I'm not sure it's possible though.

I didn't realise there were such issues with women skydivers and fall rate.

No more or less than for males. Fall rate is a function of body weight, size and drag, not whether we have a penis or boobies. Generally, a small person needs little to no drag, a larger person will want more (baggier fit with perhaps some extra fabric in certain places) - it's called "dressing for success."

I think the last thing the skydiving community needs is some Fashion Merchandising Yahoo turning out jumpsuits.

Ah, but someone with fashion DESIGN experience is EXACTLY who we want turning out jumpsuits. Knowledge about fabrics, garment construction and patternmaking are extremely important, especially when building a custom, one off item.

There is a market for off the shelf - I've watched "stock suits" fly off shelves of gear stores. Lots of novices are just fine with a "stock size" RW or freefly suit for their first suit, and they end up saving money on it too.