Justpin

I'm a BPA but...

I'm a BPA holder, the thing is the UK economy is well to put it lightly is crap and getting worse. Therefore a move to Asia may well be on the cards. Job, living costs and wife are currently there. I've been putting off this move for best part of a decade tbh, but something always sucks me back in for a bit longer.

Anyway I digress.

There are dropzones in Thailand, Malaysia, Philipines, Japan and Korea. Unfortunately none in China though. Question is what skydiving body do I (pardon the pun) fall under? Am I still a BPA even though I won't jump in the UK any more. Or should I convert to USPA instead? How exactly does it work in Asia? I know one Thai DZ does USPA AFF.

How do I convert to USPA? Me thinky USPA is considerably bigger and since everybody follows you 'mericans it would open more doors than the BPA membership and or certifications.

Any advice?

You need to ask yourself why do you want your membership.

Is it for ratings? For the insurance? For the CoP?

You need to keep your membership alive if you want your instructor ratings to be kept valid.

Insurance is typically only valid for the resident of that country, so living abroad, you wouldnt be covered.

CoP's are, as far as I remember, yours to keep and come from the FAI anyway. BPA CoPs will be recognized by the USPA, but, if and when you want a new CoP, you may need to tak all the CoP's of that new body in order 1st.

To give you an idea:

I kept my CSPA membership when I moved to the UK, but also got a BPA membership since I wanted the BPA coverage. When I moved back to Canada, all my ratings were still valid. I now have moved to the US, and havent kept up my CSPA membership, but still use my CoP obtained in Canada, here, while a member of the USPA.
Remster

. Or should I convert to USPA instead? How exactly does it work in Asia? I know one Thai DZ does USPA AFF.

I emailed a Thai DZ in Pattaya a few days ago as I'm headed out there next year and they say that a BPA membership is just fine. I think the DZO used to run a DZ in the UK some time ago too from what I read.

A quick question to add to this though... Do you need to have a current BPA or USPA membership to jump?

Steve

My limited experience is that most countries want you to have local membership. They usually have temporary memberships available.

USPA is much cheaper than the BPA, and your license is valid while you are a member. To get your licenses, you'll first need to sign up to the USPA. To get your licenses converted, there are probably 2 approaches. First ask the USPA to convert them and send evidence of your A and or B license. Secondly go to a USPA DZ with your log book and license. You should be able to quickly and easily satisfy an instructor that you have met the requirements. You may need to do the written tests on the SIM, and also do a couple of jumps to fill any gaps.

My limited experience is that most countries want you to have local membership. They usually have temporary memberships available.

USPA is much cheaper than the BPA, and your license is valid while you are a member. To get your licenses, you'll first need to sign up to the USPA. To get your licenses converted, there are probably 2 approaches. First ask the USPA to convert them and send evidence of your A and or B license. Secondly go to a USPA DZ with your log book and license. You should be able to quickly and easily satisfy an instructor that you have met the requirements. You may need to do the written tests on the SIM, and also do a couple of jumps to fill any gaps.

The conversion is more involved than that. I was looking to get my E license converted to a USPA "D" and it's a bit of a drama.
"A" & "B", less of an issue though.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The conversion is more involved than that. I was looking to get my E license converted to a USPA "D" and it's a bit of a drama.

Squeak. I can't see how it would be difficult to convert A & B licenses at a DZ. Sure you will need to do the written tests (no bad thing). But if you have other FAI licenses a reasonable instructor should be happy to use the appropriate logged jumps to fill in the A licence progression card and B license requirements. As I had mentioned you may have to do a few jumps to fill in the gaps.

However I know that only a couple of months ago you were going through this process. Did you manage to convert to a "D"?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Squeak. I can't see how it would be difficult to convert A & B licenses at a DZ. Sure you will need to do the written tests (no bad thing). But if you have other FAI licenses a reasonable instructor should be happy to use the appropriate logged jumps to fill in the A licence progression card and B license requirements. As I had mentioned you may have to do a few jumps to fill in the gaps.

However I know that only a couple of months ago you were going through this process. Did you manage to convert to a "D"?

No the "D" requires a personal visit and all previous licenses requirements met. including exams
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think you need to find out where you're going to be jumping and contact the national body (if it exists) of that country.

National regulatory requirements vary widely round the world. Some countries effectively have nil governance in practice by comparison to BPA or USPA regulations and your essentially left to your own arrangements. Others have even more strict requirements with things like daily medicals or otherwise regulate the sport out of (legal) existance.

If there is such a thing as a local regulatory body, they may simply piggy back onto BPA, USPA or FAI (or maybe even APF in SE Asia) regulations or they may have their own local licences. Converting to USPA membership may well have no benefit whatsoever over the FAI licence you already hold (which, after all, is the only international licence out there).

Only the relevant local bodies will be able to tell you.

Keep in touch and I'll see ya around the Thai DZ's.

The one in Pattaya "TSA" is currently closed untill mid Dec and they fly a Porter.

The one up north "Bird's Paradise" is open 7 days a week but only has a cessna 172, nice getaway though
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp