patrickweldon

D B Cooper Found...

"a parachute in a forest"........maybe an abandoned smoke jumpers rig comes to mind.

All the stories I've seen have said it was buried in a field. That's why I questioned the OP about it being found by kids playing in the woods. Probably just a mix-up, but I don't think it was in the woods.
Owned by Remi #?

That's an interesting video, thanks. Agent Carr really does look pumped. It's a shame that he got chased out of these forums. I'd love to hear his comments.

They implied that the parachute was found about 2 weeks ago. I wonder how long it will take them to verify it's origin and dig up the site.
Owned by Remi #?

I wouldn't get too exited until a match is made. We have been dropping parachutes and parachutists over the NW for many years. Decades before the highjacking in fact.. A serial number would come in handy don't you think?

They should have let a rigger handle it first. (maybe they did)

I wouldn't get too exited until a match is made. We have been dropping parachutes and parachutists over the NW for many years. Decades before the highjacking in fact.. A serial number would come in handy don't you think?

They should have let a rigger handle it first. (maybe they did)

Canopy pictures and serial number shown here: http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&p=d.b.+cooper&c=yahoo_news&fr=&c=images

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Search for user ckret (Carr) and read his last couple of posts. That's really gonna be easier than trying to explain it.

....wow. For a long time I had been reading every post in the DB Cooper threads because I found them A) amusing and B) very interesting. I stopped reading a few weeks ago when it had gone south. I didn't see the last few posts labrys refers to until today but after looking at them I couldn't believe how rudely Ckret was treated. Absolutely appaling. I really don't get why someone who should have known better was so over the top rude. Geeeez..... [:/]

I used to think DB Cooper was a goner for sure, but that was only because I had misinterpreted and thought he had jumped from 30,000 feet...

Now that I hear he jumped from 10,000, it makes it much more likely (well, with my limited experience), that maybe, just maybe, he made it...

If he landed in a good clear area...

I don't know how the stitching or sewing was, but did anyone consider that perhaps he realized it was sewed and that he quickly cut the stitchings with a knife? OK, maybe kind of as stupid question--especially because I don't know anything about rigging and sewing, really. Highly unlikely...

Weird that the chute has a 1946 stamp on it. I can't see any modern skydiver knowing a chute is approx 25 years old and still jumping it...of course, if he just got 4 rigs out of the blue he'd either have to be a) really stupid or b) really smart...no in between

Lonne

>Weird that the chute has a 1946 stamp on it. I can't see any modern skydiver knowing a chute is approx 25 years old and still jumping it...of course, if he just got 4 rigs out of the blue he'd either have to be a) really stupid or b) really smart...no in between

having witnessed a very experienced jumper (15,000 jumps) in or around 1995, take a 1942 silk reserve connect it to his rig, daisy chain the lines, stuff it in a garbage bag, hold it on his chest, and make a hop and pop......and he survived quite nicely

but then again.....i have also seen a 5yr old reserve pack job jumped......cutaway handle handed to someone in freefall.....reserve deployed....
he also lived

just because it's old.....does'nt mean it won't work...

Definately very interesting, I cant beleive how they were handling the cute being it was evidence. A federal investigation and it seems they were going to throw it in the trunk of the car. A good rigger could definately shed some light here.

I can't see any modern skydiver knowing a chute is approx 25 years old and still jumping it

I have lots of chutes that are more than 25 years old and they still get jumped and quite regularly. I know of several other skydivers that do the same thing.

I have a chute that is almost sixty years old and I have jumped it without any problems.

That's an interesting video, thanks. Agent Carr really does look pumped. It's a shame that he got chased out of these forums. I'd love to hear his comments.

They implied that the parachute was found about 2 weeks ago. I wonder how long it will take them to verify it's origin and dig up the site.

He logged in 2 days ago (3/26/08) so he's lurking...;) I for one would love to see this mystery finally solved and put to rest. I don't know why, but I have always felt like he (DB Cooper) survived... just a hunch..;)

...Weird that the chute has a 1946 stamp on it. I can't see any modern skydiver knowing a chute is approx 25 years old and still jumping it...

In that era it was common to jump old canopies, and for good reason, they worked just as well as new ones.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History