catfishhunter

Letter from the Head of the FAA (May Parachutist)

Thanks DSE.

It sounds like they were talking to you for "best practices", at least in wingsuiting.

I think so as well. It was interesting to hear them know the term "XRW...." I think they're on a "fact finding tour" as much as anything, but it seems apparent that they're being fed information from whoever their "youtube crew" is as well.
Let's hope we're not at a point where they're planning an active role in moderating our sport.

My personal and student logbooks were examined. I was asked to explain wingsuit flight patterns, was asked about why we have a printed flight pattern for WS (apparently we're the only DZ with one that they've seen), asked about wingsuit practices in general.
I would submit Randy Ottinger is gonna have the most knowledge about what the FAA is poking into and why..but it was apparent that wingsuiting is one of their focuses. When I asked what they were specifically looking into, the reply was something along the lines of "if it flies, we want to understand it more."

Now the paranoid part of me would wonder if they are deciding if wing suits fall under FAR Part 103.

Good thing I'm not paranoid. :|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My personal and student logbooks were examined. I was asked to explain wingsuit flight patterns, was asked about why we have a printed flight pattern for WS (apparently we're the only DZ with one that they've seen), asked about wingsuit practices in general.
I would submit Randy Ottinger is gonna have the most knowledge about what the FAA is poking into and why..but it was apparent that wingsuiting is one of their focuses. When I asked what they were specifically looking into, the reply was something along the lines of "if it flies, we want to understand it more."

Now the paranoid part of me would wonder if they are deciding if wing suits fall under FAR Part 103.

Good thing I'm not paranoid. :|

It sure does look like they could make a case for that. [:/]

Sparky

Sec. 103.1 Applicability.

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a
single occupant;
(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;
(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and
(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or

Sec. 103.15 Operations over congested areas.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Did we just open Pandora's box? We have to choose now maybe. Move the last few posts to the wingsuit section or just delete them. Unless we accept to become glider pilots anytime soon...

Do you think for a minute that the FAA is not aware of Part 103 and they haven’t already looked into it?

Sparky

No, i think FAA and other authorities like BAZL here in Switzerland are smart and responsive. This thread was started re HP canopy flying and recent incidents.

No, this thread was started re a letter sent to USPA from the head of the FAA. It is my belief that this letter was a heads up to the skydiving world about the over all conduct of the sport. From planes to to safe landings and everything in between. But I could be wrong and he was just saying HI.

Sparky

Did we just open Pandora's box? We have to choose now maybe. Move the last few posts to the wingsuit section or just delete them. Unless we accept to become glider pilots anytime soon...

People, don't kid yourselves. That same thing can easily apply to any modern ram air canopy, regardless of size. :|

People need to not get bogged down in the bureaucracy of whay MAY or MAY NOT apply, based on the interpretations which MIGHT be applied by a 3rd party we can't do anything about.

The bottom line is simple - As 'Twardo says - it's a non-too-subtle shot across the bows of skydiving... Are we heads up enough to take it and be able to say 'look - we recognise that we need to do something, so we're getting our shit in order.'?

People need to not get bogged down in the bureaucracy of whay MAY or MAY NOT apply, based on the interpretations which MIGHT be applied by a 3rd party we can't do anything about.

The bottom line is simple - As 'Twardo says - it's a non-too-subtle shot across the bows of skydiving... Are we heads up enough to take it and be able to say 'look - we recognise that we need to do something, so we're getting our shit in order.'?

Except for the fact we're not sure what they want us to address. While some might assume it's canopy collisions and canopy crashes, it could also easily be cloud clearances...

I think the latter is more likely as I think the FAA cares more about us possibly impacting other aircraft in the air than us injuring and killing ourselves/other jumpers on or near the ground.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I disagree Bolas. The local FSDO and other FAA types get a lot of phone calls from pilots and other citizens complaining about skydive safety. Canopy collisions are on the front burner with everyone.

For years we always thought we could kill ourselves and no one would care unless we screamed 120mph through an aircraft wing.

The FAA is about to shove the microscope up our asses. Aircraft crashes by jump planes, airplane/jumper mid air, canopy collisions, etc.

I'm in the middle of opening a DZ. We're almost there and when we do open there will be a firestorm of protests from the local pilots and residents.
Be assured the FAA is concerned about our safety.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Except for the fact we're not sure what they want us to address. While some might assume it's canopy collisions and canopy crashes, it could also easily be cloud clearances...

I think the latter is more likely as I think the FAA cares more about us possibly impacting other aircraft in the air than us injuring and killing ourselves/other jumpers on or near the ground.

Personally I think it'll be everything.

They won't get shirty about busting cloud cover and NOT look at wingsuiting flight patterns or canopy flight for example.
If they're going to interfere, they'll do it for everything. Now we need to clean house on ALL our procedures. Do we dare assume otherwise?

Personally I think it'll be everything.

They won't get shirty about busting cloud cover and NOT look at wingsuiting flight patterns or canopy flight for example.
If they're going to interfere, they'll do it for everything. Now we need to clean house on ALL our procedures. Do we dare assume otherwise?

They're going to make sure you obey the rules. Otherwise they're going to shut you down. Either by discipline or completely.

I think the letter is addressing concerns with complacency regarding faster canopies and aircraft operational safety.

...because that's what it talks about.

We havent bounced one off an aircraft in flight since Otay 30 years ago right?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Have you had any dealing with the FAA in the past? Some of the people posting to this thread have contact with them on a regular basis and have a pretty good read on how they think and how they do things.
The head of the FAA is worried about all the things you mentioned plus everything else others have brought up. Whether you are aware of it or not every skydiver death adds to his bottom line of fatalities in the aviation world. When he goes before the Congressional Oversight Committee he can’t just sweep them under the rug. My guess he will do what he feels necessary to lower the total.

Sparky

...I think the latter is more likely as I think the FAA cares more about us possibly impacting other aircraft in the air than us injuring and killing ourselves/other jumpers on or near the ground.

Bolding mine.

We've been finding some very creative ways of killing ourselves over the years and the FAA hasn't blinked.

When DZOs started killing a lot of jumpers in their planes, the FAA sat up and took notice.

When there were a few tandem incidents (paying public passengers) the FAA took notice really quick.

Even though there weren't any incidents, the wingsuit flybys of tandems that showed up on Youtube got the FAA's attention.

There was a Bandit Tandem Demo gone bad around here that got a lot of local publicity and got the FAA's attention. The FAA has since clamped down hard on Demo Jumps/Bandit jumps in this area (The FAA guy has stated that "any more than one person watching constitues a crowd and needs a waiver").

I don't think the FAA cares if we kill ourselves. They realize that's the risk we take.

But when we start taking others with us, even other skydivers, then they are going to notice.
And if we don't get the situation under control, and soon, then I do believe that they will.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Whether you are aware of it or not every skydiver death adds to his bottom line of fatalities in the aviation world.

Which despite of these incidents has been on a decline on a per jumps/jumper basis for years as previously pointed out in another thread.

Whether you are aware of it or not every skydiver death adds to his bottom line of fatalities in the aviation world.

Which despite of these incidents has been on a decline on a per jumps/jumper basis for years as previously pointed out in another thread.

Bolas please...ya gotta stop mitigating/down-playing the seriousness of this.

Like I said in a prior thread, the recent incidents are now making news nationally. That shines a light and isn't a good thing.

This 'letter' isn't something you can spin into nothing to worry about.

It's a serious matter when, as I said earlier in this thread we get 'wake up' from the feds to our governing organization.

Surely even the most myopic ostrich can understand the status quo isn't cutting it as far as the FAA is concerned.

Yes there are many areas that should be addressed, we need to look at everything with a mind toward improvement.

However the items specifically addressed in the letter are flying fast canopies safely and aircraft procedures with regard to skydiving operations...THAT'S what needs to be addressed first and without delay.

This isn't something that will just go away if we ignore it, and the first step is admitting to ourselves there IS a problem, it's on the radar and we have been warned.

In bureaucratic language, looking at a problem with 'New Eyes' means THEIR eyes.... it's here & it's real.

No matter WHAT happens from this point on, life as we knew it isn't going to be the same...we have a chance now to spin THAT into a positive, OR we can stick our heads in the sand and wait for whatever someone ELSE decides is best for us.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I am beginning to think you really don’t get it. You can’t be that dense and still make enough money to jump so it has to be you just refuse to see the situation for what it is. [:/]

Sparky

I am beginning to think you really don’t get it. You can’t be that dense and still make enough money to jump so it has to be you just refuse to see the situation for what it is. [:/]

Sparky

I do see the situation for what it is. I see people using this as an excuse to further their efforts to ban HP turns and canopies. [:/]

Rather than unite and deal with the root causes: attitudes, lack of canopy training in the student program, lack of canopy training post student and refreshers, we're getting more divided.

Rather than look into all our internal issues (aircraft maint, jump pilots, cloud clearances, AFF and tandem, etc.) and see if there are trends up or just recent issues were anonomalies you just want to make changes.

I'm all for change, but it needs to be informed change with real data, not some group using fear to push their own agenda.

If the FAA starts asking questions and we can provide real data on trend analysis and what we're doing to reveres or mitigate more we come off as much more professional than just banning/creating new rules.

If the FAA starts asking questions and we can provide real data on trend analysis and what we're doing to reveres or mitigate more we come off as much more professional than just banning/creating new rules.

If the FAA starts asking questions (as it appears they already are), it may well be past the point of continuing more of the same; failed self-governance.
You "see it" as banning HP canopies and HP turns. I don't see it as anything of the kind. From my hilltop, it is potentially so much bigger than this...

I do see the situation for what it is. I see people using this as an excuse to further their efforts to ban HP turns and canopies.

And what I see is paranoia. If you are not part of the problem you have nothing to fear.

Sparky

We havent bounced one off an aircraft in flight since Otay 30 years ago right?

Wrong.

2005. Deland. Twin Otter jump plane on descent. Gus Wing KIA.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2005-04-24/news/0504240370_1_skydive-deland-sky-diver-wing

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."