JohnDeere

A better way out of line twist!

[Strike]In your video you twisted in opposite direction??
You were actually untwisting it, check it out
Now what?[/Strike]

I guess it's a different technique.
It has worked well for me every time I've used it, but I hesitate to recommend it since I learned it from a video on skydivingmovies.com by a random person with unknown experience. I'm pretty sure that's the only emergency procedure I've learned by watching a video on the internet, and I'm not proud of it. :)
Dave

Dave,
Of coarse you did exactly as you say you did.

Thanks to You and to ALL involved into this share.
This works exactly as you said it might.
..although I wouldn't recommend this technique to those with wingload over 3:1

I am sorry I don't have a GoPro footage but I'm still under recommendations_for_camera_usage.
What goes around, comes later.

Unless someone's died using this way-of-untwisting linetwist,
I'd like to know what does it take to make this thread 'sticky'?
Even mandatory in FJC.

Friends will die without knowing this - or/and training.

This isn't my friend - yep, high, could've done it.. both times

Nor is this one - I have no comment

*links by courtesy of dropzone.com/bonfire Forum

Even mandatory in FJC.

It's going to take a lot of convincing the old timers to change, but I personally show the video that I posted upthread to students, show them why and how it works... They have both ways of doing it, its their call.

However, this method probably wont be too effective if the line twists are behind ones head and pinning it down.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Unless someone's died using this way-of-untwisting linetwist,
I'd like to know what does it take to make this thread 'sticky'?
Even mandatory in FJC.

Friends will die without knowing this - or/and training.

This isn't my friend - yep, high, could've done it.. both times

Nor is this one - I have no comment

*links by courtesy of dropzone.com/bonfire Forum

Both of those videos are high speed diving line twists on fully elliptical canopies loaded over 1.6 It's a lot different then just line twists. People have died trying to fight these for to long. The longer you fight it, the faster it will spin up and can exert enough G forces that can prevent you from being able to pull your cut away. You have a reserve for a reason

Even mandatory in FJC.

However, this method probably wont be too effective if the line twists are behind ones head and pinning it down.

I see your point and am not sure whether it's valid/true.
It's not MY place to comment
but somebody with that kind of experience - should!
(please)

Both of those videos are high speed diving line twists on fully elliptical canopies loaded over 1.6 It's a lot different then just line twists. People have died trying to fight these for too long. The longer you fight it, the faster it will spin up and can exert enough G forces that can prevent you from being able to pull your cut away. You have a reserve for a reason

and to you, my impatient friend: up thread-link :)

I see a big difference between the videos.This was somewhat tame. That jumper was not being spun on his back. The only time he was on his back was after he started the untwisting rotation. Look at the horizons in each video, that will give you a better indication of the speed of the rotation.

I haven't had twists in ages but because of all the evidence presented and the testimonials from highly experienced people, I'm going to give a whirl (pun intended) next time.

Now, as was mentioned earlier...

If it works better or is more efficient, then, IMO, USPA should take up the flag and include it in the SIM for FJC training.

Would anyone disagree with that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi don't have to much experience only 4 jumps.

But had a line twist on my 2nd jump and did exactly what i was instructed on the ground if i found myself under line twist.

I had been intructed to put my arms betweeen the risers and spread the lines as well as kick out of it. Did the arms between the lines forgot the kicking part of it but it did get me out of the line twist.

In the vid u posted looks like a good solution aswell.
Thnx for posting it.

At this stage, it's not standardized student instruction.

It is best to listen to your instructors in this case. Under huge canopies that student typically fly, there is a lot of time to undo linetwists. There are sometimes several techniques for successfully doing the same thing. So for a student progression, you should always listen to your instructors -- even if someday a better technique may eventually get the SIM modified.

When you have 300 jumps and starting to fly something exciting enough to warrant this technique, this is where the finer details like these start to become useful. :-)

[Red]Line Twist Fun
Velocity 84.
2.1 to 1
Cold day!

After this jump, I begain stowing the excess lines.

Enjoy. If you feel so inclined, I'll be happy to answer comments here. :)

I'd be very careful not to get your fingers to far above the line twists. Especially with gloves, you could easily get your fingers/gloves into the twists making for a very difficult cutaway.
...this is just an observation. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

That is a very good observation. It's also one reason I almost didn't post it. When I twisted the risers, it wasn't an issue. Once the lines were in reach, I. Intentionally reached above to grab a rear riser line group and stop the turn.

I learned the riser twist method here, and learned that steering trick from base.

Good comment. Thanks.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's been a long time since I had line twists on my canopy, but recently had an opening that twisted up nearly 3 full revolutions. I simply twisted my risers/lines to bring the twisted part down onto the risers, and that was sufficient to allow the canopy to get my body rotating to undo the twist. Thought I'd share the video.

Does anyone know if USPA has added this technique to the SIM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYaz0MriNI

way too complicated when there is a simple procedure that is super easy to perform, eliminates all that thinking and potential finger trapping stuff

but for highly loaded small speed rocket canopies this may be the only thing that works
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

billeisele

way too complicated when there is a simple procedure that is super easy to perform, eliminates all that thinking and potential finger trapping stuff

but for highly loaded small speed rocket canopies this may be the only thing that works

No way, the pull and kick method is ridiculous and makes you fight physics.

The squeeze and twist method works much better, has physics on your side, and can be done in a wing suit. Overall it is a much better method, and should be the new standard.

billeisele

How is that way too complicated? I literally used that technique on my very first line twist in AFF Cat B. It was my second jump ever and it worked fine. It's pretty easy to do. I literally watched this video a few nights before, I got linetwists and decided to try what I saw in the video and it worked fine despite having zero experience with line twists at the time.

Divalent

It's been a long time since I had line twists on my canopy, but recently had an opening that twisted up nearly 3 full revolutions. I simply twisted my risers/lines to bring the twisted part down onto the risers, and that was sufficient to allow the canopy to get my body rotating to undo the twist. Thought I'd share the video.

Does anyone know if USPA has added this technique to the SIM?

Wow. That looked stupid easy. I had a pretty good twist, about 2 1/2 - 3 revolutions, a few weeks ago. First in a while and first in a suit with booties. Just having the booties kept me from being able to kick as hard as I could in the past. I kicked for a while before I got any movement to untwist the lines.

Divalent

I simply twisted my risers/lines to bring the twisted part down onto the risers, and that was sufficient to allow the canopy to get my body rotating to undo the twist. Thought I'd share the video.

Note that starting to untwist the risers doesn't automatically make one's body start rotating to undo the twist.

After you twisted the risers/lines to bring the twisted part down onto the risers -- as you stated -- in this case you were able to REACH ABOVE THE TWISTS. Which made it easy to grab spread out lines to quickly get the torque to spin yourself out of the twists.

One can also note the directions used in this technique:
Similar to what was mentioned in the first post in the whole thread, the twisting action one takes is a rapid twisting the 'twisting MORE' direction, rather than trying to slowly get some momentum going to untwist one's body in the other direction. Two opposite directions!

The fast twisting action here didn't turn the jumper, but 'added' to the twists at the bottom, allowing the twists to in effect move down the lines/risers.