Jumper-Brown

Future AFF'ers

This is an open question to all my fellow tandem-only jumpers who've been "bitten by the bug" but have to wait it out through stupid winter until we can get another taste - and to anyone not in said position currently but who were at one time.

My DZ closes for the winter after this week and I plan on starting AFF when they reopen in March. I'm getting my hands and eyes on whatever pieces of skydiving information I can (the 2012 SIM, forums, The Riggers Handbook, YouTube videos, reading "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook" on my Kindle, etc) practicing arching on my living room floor, and learning basic terms and concepts to pass the time. I want to be as prepared as possible before I begin my official training. Maybe if I had been this dedicated to my summer reading when I was in school, I would have gotten better grades.

Anyway, what are you going to do (or did you do) to pass the time? The wait is absolutely killing me...and it's only been 4 days since my maiden jump.

If you don't have the time / $$ to head to FL/AZ/CA...save every penny you can. Or set a pile of $100 bills on fire every weekend to get used to the feeling.

Read...but understand you may be "too book smart" when you get to AFF. I had (or thought I did) a good "conceptual" idea of skydiving / AFF...was real different when I was finally in the air. Had to slow down and realize info in AFF is parceled out in small chunks for a reason. YMMV, of course.

Go to Raeford for a weekend for some tunnel time.

Prepare to be frustrated by the weather; prepare to make a mistake or two.

Seriously...save some cash.

Lol, those are great ideas. I'm hoarding cash and crunching the numbers as we speak. I may have to take some DJ-ing gigs to support my future skydiving habit.

Google Maps has just informed me that the Raeford tunnel is a 7-hour drive. Yikes. Maybe if I speed down I95 and stick my head out of the window, not only will I get there faster, but I'll get some additional practice time in.

The good/bad thing for me is that my DZ is about 2.5 hours away. I think that'll be the only thinking keeping me away from that place every weekend (Do you have any idea how statistically dangerous driving is?;))...and keeping me out of the proverbial poorhouse.

Oh, and I'll take the "booksmart" thing into consideration. I didn't think of that.

Thanks for the input.

...according to this countdown clock I found online, there are only 2640 hours until the start of Spring. **sighs**

Pretty much the same for me:
I'm working to get the money for my AFF and I'm saving every penny I can.

I have had 5 minutes of tunnel time to get used to the feeling.
I noticed my leg position wasn't right. I think I'll get another 5 minutes before I start my AFF in May/June.

The waiting is KILLING me!
From 0 to 12.000 in 9 minutes

I feel your pain. As a student, I too, was fighting weather and wanted to learn as much as I could (being a voracious reader). However, the challenge is to read things that will be helpful and to not read things that will only clutter your brain early in your jumping career.

Therefore I have the following suggestions until you have actually made a few AFF jumps:

--Limit your reading of the USPA SIM to Section 4 (the Integrated Student Program)

--If your reference to "The Riggers Handbook" is to the PARACHUTE RIGGER HANDBOOK published by the FAA, limit your reading to chapter 2 Design and Construction.

--I found Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook to be somewhat dated. I would not recommend it, except for the cool photo of the aircraft which was damaged when a jumper was pulled through the wall of the fuselage by a premature canopy deployment.

There is no question that tunnel time is helpful for AFF freefall skills. However, remember that death or severe injury in freefall above pull altitude is rare.... death or severe injury due to pilot error flying the canopy is all too common. Don't diminish the importance of canopy flight skills.

After you have made a few AFF jumps, you might enjoy reading Brian Germain's The Parachute and Its Pilot
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I feel your pain... I've read the skydivers handbook and even went down and got some tunnel time. I can't wait till the DZ opens back up and I can take AFF. I've even gone as far as designing my future rig... haha. check out the USPA online ground school. http://skydiveschool.org/ It is awesome. They have a lot of video to go along with the information. Good luck with your AFF next year. By the way, Where is everyone planning on taking their AFF course? I'll be doing mine at Triangle Skydive Center in Louisburg NC.

spend all your time in a tunnel

Tunnel time is of course expensive, and this isn't a viable option for many starting jumpers. Other then that, if you're in a relationship shipping loads and loads of money to the DZ/windtunnel might cause problems, even if you can afford it.

I don't know if I would agree (100% of the time) that you can study too much ahead of time. I think it depends on what you study and how each person processes information. I am a bit of a skeptic on a lot of things. As you study, separate facts from points of view or opinions. Facts are facts. Other things always need to be taken with a grain of salt. Tuck them away and see if they prove true, someday. The FAA rules in the SIM are facts and if you are expected to know and understand them, then there is not any harm in learning those facts. I mean things like how far from clouds when you jump or required student equipment.

A current example for me……
I have watched parachutes packed by many different people. I have watched videos of packing. Have I had a packing class yet? NO. Do I know how to pack a parachute? NO. But, if someone says "A and B lines", I do know what they are talking about. As I try to learn more about packing, I am not trying to learn how to pack. I am just trying to get in the position to learn. I think the same can be done while you are waiting. Get the right books. Listen to the right people. Don’t try to learn how to skydive. But you can learn about skydiving, if you know what I mean.

But when you step into the first jump class, you must put it all aside and learn what is taught then and there. To me, that is the bottom line.

I was waiting like you before I started and I know the feeling. This forum has been helpful. I have already identified about 4 high count jumpers that when they post, I pay close attention to what they say.....and take it with a grain of salt ;)

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Don’t try to learn how to skydive. But you can learn about skydiving, if you know what I mean.

Fascinating thread. You can just about feel the excitement:)
I agree that people need to use caution in what they learn and how it is applied. As these are life saving skills it is really important that the 'correct' skills are learnt.

If it is possible rather than reading or watching video's, time spent hanging out on a DZ is invaluable. I don't know where up-jumpers/instructors hibernate in winter when dz's shut down - but it would be good to find a few...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I find it interesting what you said about putting yourself in a position to learn. What I may not have conveyed in my previous posts is that I'm greener than goose shit when it comes jumping.

If you had quizzed me a week ago about skydiving common-knowledge, I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything about things such as AADs, canopies, AFF, reserve chutes, packing, arching, A&B lines, wind tunnels, flaring, etc. The only thing I knew about skydiving before last Saturday was that it costs @ $225 for a tandem and it looks fun.

Between the information I picked up at the DZ the day of my tandem and the amount of general reading I've done, I feel like I at least have a grasp of the vernacular, the basic concepts, general safety guidelines, and just a lot of other general tidbits.

I'll read what I feel is pertinent and just keep it tucked away in my head as a point of reference. I'll also make a point not to delve too much into areas that are over my head at the moment. The last thing I want is to go into that FJC and not even know they didn't use round parachutes anymore, lol. (Remember, greener than goose shit.)

This has been a very noteworthy thread, indeed.

And thanks UPS! My copy of the SIM (I had been reading it on my iPhone) just arrived as I was typing this response.

I read too much before going into the AFF program. Each center goes about the program in their own way. There were some things I had to relearn differently or let go as part of my training.

For example, the wave off - I had seen this done in several videos of AFF students starting with their first AFF jump. However, the center I started my training with does not have you wave off until after a few levels so that you are focused on more important things. It was explained to me that we are already taking in a lot of information, it is one less thing to worry about doing. (We did wave offs once we were down to one instructor).

One website I highly recommend looking over is USPA Ground School
I wish I could it before getting my A-license, actually. It is pretty neat! Definitely be familiar with the SIM, it will only help you gain the required knowledge.

As far as the dirt diving, have you worked with a coach+ to know proper technique? Arching, circle of awareness, practice pulls, and parachute landing falls? If someone has already worked with you, GREAT! Keep it up to enforce the muscle memory! I have been itching to go again myself, it has been 30 days and I feel over-due for a skydive! It would really help before my finals week!

Good luck to you, I know you can make it through the off season, just watch tons of fun videos like I do!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Static Line is a lot better than AFF....

I'm joking!! And I swear I don't really think that despite the fact that my student progression was on "training wheels" as some people call it.

My point is: you'll probably run into some people with very different opinions about what's what and it'll be up to you to decide what makes sense and what doesn't

And my other point is stick to what you know and love despite what others think or say. I'm in your same shoes basically, since I'm deployed to Afghanistan and can't jump for about another 5 months.

In the meantime I read, without going overboard, and visit cool sites like this one and I've discovered pretty much ever DZ has a facebook page. There's thousands of videos on youtube, etc. etc.

You can also become a USPA member and start getting Parachutist magazines. You don't have to be a USPA member until you apply for your A license but I'm just saying you can do that early and it'll be one less thing. Oh, and you can check out helmets and altimeters in the meantime too. ...my 2 cents

I agree with alot that has been said, since I just finished my aff and got my A I though I would chime in. I started reading watching gorging myself with skydive info about this time last year. I read everything I could get my hands on watched everything I could find. I am one of those that has to know as much as possible before I start. I don't believe you can be to prepared for your aff...while each dz may do it a fuzz different its all basically the same. I have to say skydiving has changed my life but it has definitely added so.ethjng that has been lacking for a while. I used to ski semi pro for years but the young 33 year old body couldn't keep up with the 16 17 year old phenoms of today....skydiving has filled that void...good luck to all of you... fyi....lots od money and time...be prepared to sit at the dz all day to do 1 or 2 jumps during g the first couple of phases....be nice to everyone at the dz and become good friends with manifest..got my license at Aerohio in Akron Ohio...amazing people amazing place...sherry butcher took me all the way through my a...she rocks...amazing place to learn if your thinterested...thanks to everyone there.

I kind of went the same route you did when I took my AFF course. Read alot of threads here, watched alot of AFF videos etc. I'll agree with what poster said, all the learning in the world doesn't really prepare you for that first jump. Granted you've had tandem experience (which is a big plus- wish I had done that first). Nevertheless, it is sort of like trying to learn how to swim. The real learning doesn't really begin until that first jump.

I'd say one thing that would definitely pay off (besides tunnel experience) would be to drill PLFs and canopy control. The danger ratio will be the highest when you are under canopy.

Even if you fail to throw your PC there will be the main affi there to save your butt. Once your canopy is open however, it is all entirely on you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are stupid. Especially make sure you have a good idea of when to flare.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Yes, relying on Affi's to do anything is a bad idea. (in ref to PC deployment). But you know what I meant lol.

Practicing when to flare before going about AFF!

The picnic table exercise: Find a picnic table away from obstructions in front and from behind the seating area. Look to the horizon as you walk forward, do not look down at your feet, step up on the first bench, the table, then the other bench, and down on the ground again keeping your eyes on the horizon the whole time. Repeat this a few times until you can fluidly go through the exercise. (When you no longer hesitate stepping forward and do not look at your feet).

Now repeat this exercise, but this time clap your hands as you watch the horizon and step over the picnic table. Focus way in the distance at the tree line, or whatever the furthest thing away you can see on the horizon. Once you feel comfortable with adding the clapping to the exercise, then focus on your breathing as you clap your hands and walk over the picnic table. Pay close attention to your lungs filling up with air, and then slowly exhaling.

Again, repeat this exercise until you are comfortable to add another element. The new element this time will be listening to your surroundings! The birds, the traffic, other people in the area, anything you can hear within your current environment, along with clapping your hands, paying attention to your breathing, and watching the horizon as you step over the picnic table.

This exercise is to get you to become more aware of your surroundings and to judge the distance of when to begin your flare, (top of the picnic table). This exercise helped me greatly once under canopy. Landing use to make me nervous, I feared it the most. It was not exiting the aircraft, or the sense of falling you first get after letting go of the strut, it was fear of hitting the ground, hard.

P.S. I did 3 tandems before finally starting the AFF program. My 2nd tandem, I got to do backloops off the strut of a C-182! I was already hooked to freefall then. Even with the amount of videos I watched before my first AFF ground course, nothing could ever prepare you for your first AFF jump! Nothing! I watched malfunctions and all and went into training with the attitude, "Bring it on! Lets do this!"

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Practicing when to flare before going about AFF!

The picnic table exercise:
Find a picnic table away from obstructions in front and from behind the seating area. Look to the horizon as you walk forward, do not look down at your feet, step up on the first bench, the table, then the other bench, and down on the ground again keeping your eyes on the horizon the whole time. Repeat this a few times until you can fluidly go through the exercise. (When you no longer hesitate stepping forward and do not look at your feet).

Now repeat this exercise, but this time clap your hands as you watch the horizon and step over the picnic table. Focus way in the distance at the tree line, or whatever the furthest thing away you can see on the horizon. Once you feel comfortable with adding the clapping to the exercise, then focus on your breathing as you clap your hands and walk over the picnic table. Pay close attention to your lungs filling up with air, and then slowly exhaling.

Again, repeat this exercise until you are comfortable to add another element. The new element this time will be listening to your surroundings! The birds, the traffic, other people in the area, anything you can hear within your current environment, along with clapping your hands, paying attention to your breathing, and watching the horizon as you step over the picnic table.

This exercise is to get you to become more aware of your surroundings and to judge the distance of when to begin your flare, (top of the picnic table).....

...and all this bullshit is EXACTLY why you can rock up to your FJC (first jump course) with dangerous information learned from the interwebz. Follow this advice and not only will you look stupid at the picnic area, you'll risk breaking yourself on landing. It is wrong.

Your instructor will describe when to flare for your landing.

Smile. Relax. Listen to your instructor. :)

In my opinion the best advices are:

1) Do NOT read too much before the course.
2) Spend some time in a wind-tunnel.
3) Save/earn money.

Regarding #3, what should someone budget for the first year? I'm talking about going from zero to A license and a first rig? Does anyone have a best guess for either The Ranch or SDLI?

I'm currently saving as much as I can and would like a target number.

Thanks!!
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.