blue24

Best Container system & Why?

So what do you believe is the top container system, and why do you think it is superior?

(Ex: Mirage, Vector, Racer, Talon 2, Voodoo, Wings, Odyssey, Javelin, Dolphin etc)?

Anything you particularly dislike as a container system? And why.

You will get a ton of different answers to this question. You will hear that some people prefer the Javelin over Wings or Infinity over Mirage. All of the container systems great quality and offer there own unique features.

Best thing for you to do is to go each manufacturers website and read up on each one. Make a list of the pros and cons of each one. Then start narrowing it down to what you can afford and what discipline you would eventually end up working on.

But no matter what container you end up with, new or used, you will end up with a decent container that will suit your needs. If you know anyone at your DZ that would be willing to let you try on or maybe even jump their rig, given that it fits properly and the canopy size is proper for your skill level.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Hi 24,

OK, do you like blonds or do you like redheads? :P After all, they all offer the same things.

Someone suggested that you go to their websites and look around; great idea.

I would further suggest that you consider the features that each rig offers; both standard & as options. See what things you like or feel you absolutely have to have.

The non-measurable factor is the backup service. I think that they all do a fairly good job with that odd someone who is dissatisfied on occasion.

I, personally, think that the folks over at VSE ( makers of the Infinity ) have the best service. But that is just my thoughts.

Good luck & keep asking questions, it does help in the learning process.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And old adage I believe in: The are no dumb questions but there sure are some stupid mistakes.

Hi 24,

OK, do you like blonds or do you like redheads? :P After all, they all offer the same things.

Someone suggested that you go to their websites and look around; great idea.

I would further suggest that you consider the features that each rig offers; both standard & as options. See what things you like or feel you absolutely have to have.

The non-measurable factor is the backup service. I think that they all do a fairly good job with that odd someone who is dissatisfied on occasion.

I, personally, think that the folks over at VSE ( makers of the Infinity ) have the best service. But that is just my thoughts.

Good luck & keep asking questions, it does help in the learning process.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And old adage I believe in: The are no dumb questions but there sure are some stupid mistakes.

+1

What he said... 24

My personal preference is for an exposed or semi-exposed reserve pilot chute top.

Racer tops my list; it's super comfortable and has a long track record. I also like the Javelin, Vortex II and Wings (in order of preference).

I also like redheads. ;):)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The one that fits your body type best, has a "look" that you like, comes from a manufacturer with a good reputation for customer service, will be in your hands in a time frame that you consider to be reasonable and has features that you want.

Unless of course you want to be told what to buy, in which case you should buy an Infinity, cuz that's what I jump and I only jump the best. :)

The one that fits your body type best, has a "look" that you like, comes from a manufacturer with a good reputation for customer service, will be in your hands in a time frame that you consider to be reasonable and has features that you want.

Unless of course you want to be told what to buy, in which case you should buy an Infinity, cuz that's what I jump and I only jump the best. :)

+1 cuz the 'bytch said so.

So what do you believe is the top container system, and why do you think it is superior?

(Ex: Mirage, Vector, Racer, Talon 2, Voodoo, Wings, Odyssey, Javelin, Dolphin etc)?

The Woomera.

Because I like the idea of a pull out reserve P/C.

Barring that I really like my Infinities, they are comfortable and secure and VSE has some of the best customer service in the industry. :)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Out of wings, mirage, vector and javelin I prefer vector 3. I love the riser flap, the magnetic riser covers saves me few seconds on each pack, the closing loop doesn't deform the bag, the stowing of the excess brake lines is pretty fast to do and you have the true lock and I love it even more if it has risers that are a bit more rigid. Rigid feels good on a rig.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

i like the morpheous helium, it has 2 closing pins, a nice option to use the floorplate closing loop to lower the profile of the rig. its lighter than any skydiving rig on the market, and dosent need a reserve.:P

Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

The one which fits and comfortably holds safe-sized main and reserve canopies. A reasonable price tag, decent customer service if you have problems, and short ordering backlog are all nice too.

Rigs which fit are more comfortable.

Unfashionably large (by just a size) rigs don't have the fabric stretched to tight so they can fold to fit your body better in the plane while fashionably small rigs can pack like bricks that aren't comfortable.

Unfashionably large rigs (with reserve containers a few sizes bigger than main) let you pair fun-sized mains with more forgiving reserves that are less likely to lead to landing injuries when combining an incapacitated jumper and off-DZ landing.

For your first rig: Whatever you can find used that fits you, holds good beginner canopies, and that you can put several hundred jumps on.

For your second rig: Whatever the coolest person on your dropzone is jumping.

For your third rig and beyond: By now you should be a badass and you'll be jumping the rig of whatever manufacturer will sponsor you.

For your first rig: Whatever you can find used that fits you, holds good beginner canopies, and that you can put several hundred jumps on.

For your second rig: Whatever the coolest person on your dropzone is jumping.

For your third rig and beyond: By now you should be a badass and you'll be jumping the rig of whatever manufacturer will sponsor you.

That about sums it up! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have narrowed mine down to Infinity or Wings Vision.

Now the hard part is to pick one! Ahhhhhhh!

I chose an Infinity because of the pin protection, the riser protection and the fully enclosed reserve pilot chute.

There is a good bit of debate about the reserve pilot chute being fully enclosed or partially enclosed (like a Wings). I did my research and made my choice. YMMV.

Whichever you choose, you will have a very nice rig.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Everyone will have a favorite answer.... And just like in aviation where the "best" plane is the one currently in your hangar, the "best" rig is normally the one on your back.

I have jumped every rig on the market, owned three different ones.... There are some that I like better than others, only to find the guy next to me likes the ones I don't more than the ones I love.

This is all Ford v. Chevy. You need to find what YOU like.

A few suggestions:
1. Make sure the person who recommends brand "X" is not getting a deal from brand "X"

2. Make sure that the rig is popular in your area... Yes, any real rigger can pack any rig, but I'd rather have a rigger that knows how my rig packs because they have packed a thousand of them rather than 4.

The "popular in your area" also works for getting replacement parts. I had a mal in DeLand and lost my freebag and bridle. A guy that worked for RW opened up the building on a Sunday and got me a freebag and PC and packed my reserve.... I was down about an hour. That would not have happened if I had been jumping a say Infinity (The converse would be true if I had been jumping where the make the Infinity).

The "popular in your area" also normally means that someone around there gets a good deal on them.... Since most containers are equal... Why not save a few bucks?

All this being said... I have two rigs currently a Javelin and a Vector. I personally find that the Jav's fit great and if buying used have found that used Jav's fit a larger selection of people. However, I think the UPT stuff is some of the best designed stuff out there.... Who popularized the throw out? Booth. Who popularized the 3 ring? Booth. Who popularized the skyhook? Booth.

This is not to say that say a Talon, or Wings, or Infinity or anything else is less of a rig... But you asked an opinion and I gave exactly that and WHY I think that way.

So how do I suggest you buy a rig?
1. Talk to your local rigger and see what he likes.
2. Look around on a busy Saturday at your home DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334