airtwardo

U.S. Parachute Team ~ Any Funding Idea$ ?

~ I disagree Ron, that's not the 'problem' it's the motivation...the PROBLEM is understanding and addressing why people like 'Anvil' are unequivocally against giving any support.

This is nothing against you Anvil, you certainly have the right to fore-go involvement regarding donating...and no one should think twice about your decision.

this a huge mis-representation of Anvil's position IMO

You can NOT say he is opposed to providing support.
He is opposed to not having the personal CHOICE to provide support.

I also do NOT want a "donation" forced on me through dues or hidden increases in jump prices. - This is simply NOT a "donation" as there is no choice. You can't call it a "donation" - that's completely wrong.

However, I have no problem with choosing to make a real donation personally and directly. - This is voluntary and is a real 'donation'. Nothing wrong with that at all.

you want to encourage people to CHOOSE to donate: raffles, marketing, fundraisers, training camps, gear sales, etc are all great ideas. Ideas on how contributions can be forced out of the membership - horrible ideas.

??? Huh?

I think you mistakenly put an element of my original post, into the post I answered Ron with...

Anvil stated~ I don't agree with funding any team, if you want to be a champ, raise your own money not my membership or jump prices.

The 'raise your own money' seems to say he would like them to self fund without help from the general membership...be voluntary donations or other wise.

My point is, what is it about seeking support from the membership that turns someone off?

There is NO QUESTION in my mind that it shouldn't be 'mandatory' or an imposed tax without a choice.

I'm just wondering if there is a constructive way to change some seemingly obviously negative attitudes regarding individual involvement.

To do that first lets figure out if there actually IS some negative perception...and is it toward the team itself, or toward us helping them...

If I mis-represented his meaning in any way it was not intentional, or to be argumentative, definitely not to chastise.

I apologize if it was taken that way...

But I really don't think I was mis-representing anything, I've heard that sentiment before from lots of people...even had it myself until recently.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind and get them to donate...I want to know why it's not something they would do.

Not to put words in Anvils mouth, but it appears he believes if you want to take 'that' route with your skydiving career, you should be prepared to pay your own way....

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

the response was about the "check this box to NOT" contribute. i.e., sneaky fundraising (don't give the US treasury any ideas please).

I get your context, I just disagree - the bold part of his note should have been "not from my membership dues or lift tickets"

That's the context I read it in - pretty much invoking the cost on the members regardless of the individual's position on it.

However, if you want to compete, you actually should be ready to foot the bill 100%. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be great if people pitched in. But the choice should be up to the individual contributor. heck, we already pay for magazines that many of us don't want (sometimes multiple issues to the same household)

In that, the discussion on marketing it is very good - how do we make people WANT to donate? I suspect leveraging USPA to sneak in any donation structure would be a great way to pretty much dry up voluntary donations.

These are excellent athletes - looking to professional sports and how they market is a possible area of review. And always, the best way to fund a venture is to make it into money making ventures.

Chuck is closer than we think - USPA should be actively looking for sponsors for these events and find ways to do that from big industries. That might net out positive. You all are right in that marketing this industry is pretty thin.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

These are excellent athletes - looking to professional sports and how they market is a possible area of review. And always, the best way to fund a venture is to make it into money making ventures.

Looking to professional sports for a model of how to market it might be of some help, but there isn't currently anywhere near enough 'mass-market' appeal to generate out of the sport sponsorship interest in my opinion.

That's something that could be changed with some work, and heck there IS more skydiving in the media now than ever...getting the competition end some exposure is the problem.

I actually thought we were on the way back when the X-games featured Skydiving...seemed like another 'Point Break' moment was within reach, but it fizzled.

From 'our' sports PR standpoint, I think the production quality was great, but the foundation for generating interest beyond 'that' event or jump wasn't relayed (portrayed?)...by that I mean the audience wasn't keyed into understanding what, how & why, what they were seeing is something 'thrilling' or difficult.

Maybe not understanding it is why it didn't have enough appeal to continue.

Of course that's not necessarily 'our' fault, and the producers didn't 'owe' to us to make it marketable.
..but in retrospect I think there may have been a few ways to give the X-games back then, something above and beyond what they got...something self-serving promotionally speaking, yet not being obvious about it.

So the question is...how to go about creating greater appeal regarding the sport, and specifically the international competition end of it?

Like Spot said, without 1/4 million people minimum having eyes on yer ass, there isn't much of an angle for demonstrating actual value in regard to justifying sponsors flippin' a check out of the advertising budget.

Some corporations do toss around a few bucks just for G.P. feels good reasons, just to be involved but expect less than 'standard' return advertising wise.
*Paul Mitchel (hair care products) sponsored my better 1/2 with a hefty chunk of change when she was in the 1st ever around the world air race/rally.
Talk about an event with no media coverage or mass appeal, but the did it.

Basically the US Team is an unknown in the world of corporate sponsorship because making it otherwise is hard and hasn't been a priority.
I honestly believe that can be changed by starting slow/small and working steady to create a recognizable image or 'brand'.

It will be interesting to see how the 'change of focus' the USPA described pans out, I think there are possibilities...but the way things have been done in the past don't fit and will ave to be readdressed.

~athletes DO wear logos etc. in many venues, something to consider as far as tangible value for a sponsors money.

Sorry im coming back to this discussion late since I was never directly replied to I never got an email.

Dont want to turn this into a speakers corner post, and I would gladly accept any corrections without being slammed for not being informed.

There are a few reasons I would rather be able to choose on my own, and not through a pre set up "donation" via my uspa membership, or forced on my dropzones, etc.

Ive been a member of uspa for 8 years, and have gathered my own sense of what im "getting" from USPA. Like you said my position might be my own fault for the way I think, or could be on USPA for not informing and marketing themselves like they should.

I am grateful for the SIM, and Instructor program they support, the times they helped with the FAA and parachutist used to be ok, but other than that the only reason I still have a membership is because most dropzones and boogies require you to have it.

I have seen many instances where USPA did not step up to the plate to help dropzones operating on fed funded airports.

They seemed to either give up fighting or ACCEPT the skyride marketing scheme.

There are reports of uspa officials involved in dropzones that blatantly violate items in the sim/FAA rules.

I dont know anything about how the US team is formed, members picked, what they do, when they do it.

Other than it being mentioned here I never see, nationals, or any other competition in the news. You see more about base jumping and the powered wing flying with the jets than you do anything about skydiving, and those are from 2 companies. Bretling, and red bull if I spelled the first correctly. Seems like if getting the skydiving word out by funding a us team its not working.

NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE, but without any inside knowledge....

Any person that hands over their hard earned money has to wonder if things like this are just like a union, you pay them dues with promises of grandeur and in the end its just a good old boy network of the same top officials, and team members who are out there jumping on your dollar, without a positive return on your investment.

A list of actual positive results and financial details for the sport would be great ie, mentioned on CBS, NBC, picked up coke sponsorship, team members each received this amount to jump on.

I would rather support my own local 4-8 way teams, swoop competitors, at least I know their own personal sacrifices, and benefits that would come from my doing so.

EDIT. Typed that first part hastily while my relief stared at me to get to his computer.

My issue is with USPA, and not any team member as I dont even know the name of a single person.

I guess when it comes down to it, how many of you can answer.

Who? Who are the team members, and USPA personnel responsible for managing it all

What? What do they all do, what are the goals and responsibilities of USPA and team members.

Where? Where do the people come from, is there any DZ that benifits from this more directly than others. IE does all the training happen at one DZ, or does the team travel around spreading our money and their awareness.

When? When does all this take place, I only hear about nationals on dropzone.com threads

Why? Why do we have a team, what is the goal, and is it meeting its expectations and results? What is the main goal anyway? Is it to advertise to the public our sport so it can grow? Is it to show national pride as we compete? The two are related, but which ones success helps our sport the most.

If we spend 50k on this team and I ask 1000 whuffos on the street if they heard of the US skydiving team, or any events and not 1 has, what did we accomplish. Could we have came out better spending 50k on advertising, promotional stunts, more sim research, instructional improvements, FAA lobying, lending hands to dropzones in trouble?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

...or could be on USPA for not informing and marketing themselves like they should.

I think you nailed it brother!:|

To be honest with you, I didn't know much about the US Team either, until these past couple of months.

You unquestionably have a valid point...I do know that there is a person at headquarters in charge of PR, now whether that's her only duty or she's covering a couple of slots I don't know.

I think it's safe to say, what ever she's doing it's not enough, or it's not working.

The whole communication thing has been a problem since I joined the organization. It IS a little easier now with the invention of electricity, but it certainly could be better.

What I normally do if there is something I'm 'really' curious about or concerned with, is call either my RD or the RD from the Midwest whom I've known for 30 years...

It takes a few minutes and it's probably a bit bothersome to them but you're right, not really any other way to find out what's going on...in 'real' time.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I was looking for...I definitely understand your position and respect it.

It's kinda hard to give a shit about the US Team if ya don't know anything ABOUT it.

SO....just out of curiosity, does anybody out there know what the annual PR budget is for the USPA, or have any idea as to how it's being utilized?

How about some ideas as to how the organization might better communicate with the membership?

Here is a blog copy I posted on the USPA. The natl organization is chartered to field a team, and even if it wasn't, (in my opinion) we members should at least provide partial funding support for our team members. For every one who is sponsored, there are a dozen more who are driving beat up cars, doing tandems to pay the rent and living a drop zone existence. The funding may be the difference in going to a competitin, or not going. Once again, my opinion is that, until a sponsor is found - which might be never, we should help our international teams compete.

The blog:

December 1, 2011 at 12:06 am | Reply
I too commend this decsion. Now, let’s consider interim funding for the US Team, of which I am so proud! I, like many members did not realize that the US Team was in need of reliable funding above and beyond the contributions of members at time of renewal. When I renew this month, I will be sure to contribute to the US Team.

I would request the idea of a modest dues increase, earmarked for the US Team, be vetted to the general membership in the next Parachutist magazine. An invitaion to discuss the idea, and encourage comments from members to consider this increase,

Then, after this comment period, the acceptability of this could be assessed. If it is substantially favorable, then a (example $2.00) increase in membership dues, and a ($1.00) increase in rating remewals. Both would be presented in the membership renewal forms as items that the member could opt out of, and the wording could read that” I do not wish to contribute the $2.00 to the US Team”, and same wording for the rating renewal $1.00.

I believe most members, and rating holders would pay, and not opt out; but those who feel strongly negative, could. If even half of our members paid this dues increase, it could go along way to provide interim team funding until the sponsorship we seek is found, and would only be done after a comment period. Of course, If the comments are sustantially negative, then the BOD would table the idea, and look for other solutions.

H Walter Green

Jeremy Olexa Says:
December 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
“I would request the idea of a modest dues increase” <- I would vehemently oppose a dues increase. I already pay enough for dues and rating renewals.

H Walter Green Says:
December 1, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Reply
There’s an opt out if a member feels they don’t want to fund the US Team. No need to be vehement. If it’s not for you-so be it. I think the USPA dues and our organization are reasonable, considering (for one example of a benefit) what it does for us in the governmental area. But, this is my opinion.

Leave a Reply

Enter your comment here...

I, for one, am not in favor of ANY USPA dues increase. However, I think it might be wise to take a closer look at re-allotting the current membership revenue in favor of the US team. Prioritize where the money is spent instead of asking for more. :)
;) I fear I may have just cursed this thread into the "Speakers Corner" zone????

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I, for one, am not in favor of ANY USPA dues increase. However, I think it might be wise to take a closer look at re-allotting the current membership revenue in favor of the US team. Prioritize where the money is spent instead of asking for more. :)
;) I fear I may have just cursed this thread into the "Speakers Corner" zone????

That's why I'm curious about budget items like Public Relations...I think I remember hearing once a few years back it was close to six figures.

That may be bullshit because it's seems like a pretty high figure for this kind of an organization, unless of course the PR directors salary is figured into that budget.

Either way there is a lot to be said for putting the available funds to better use as an immediate measure while longer term scenarios are developed and begin play out.

It would really be interesting to know exactly what type of 'public relations' program we're playin' with here....what the goals are and what the strategy is.

Hopefully it's aimed at some demographic that I'm not associated with, because I sure can't recall ever being exposed to anything even approaching PR regarding the USPA, beyond my monthly magazine.

Hate to keep harping on the same old song as a fix to a lot of these things but ~ Awareness & Communication look to be areas seriously needing to be addressed.

If we could clean THAT mess up, I bet some of these other issues would take care of themselves.

In the Blog page that addresses the recent halt to the 'demo team' program, Jay Stokes ends the message with a comment about communication...

MAYBE...the problem is they feel there are available and open lines for discourse between membership & government, but the membership either isn't aware of them, or don't clearly understand how & when to use 'em?

I mean...I had to tap the email mass deliver address thingie that Jan created because I don't know of a way to reach the entire BOD without popping an addy at a time from the website or magazine...and even then a few came back as 'undeliverable'. :S

In the Blog page that addresses the recent halt to the 'demo team' program, Jay Stokes ends the message with a comment about communication...

MAYBE...the problem is they feel there are available and open lines for discourse between membership & government, but the membership either isn't aware of them, or don't clearly understand how & when to use 'em?

I mean...I had to tap the email mass deliver address thingie that Jan created because I don't know of a way to reach the entire BOD without popping an addy at a time from the website or magazine...and even then a few came back as 'undeliverable'. :S

Jay Stokes, Gary Peek, Rich Winstock, Jan Meyer, Craig Stapleton, MaryLou Laughlin, Todd Spillers, Scott Smith, and Merriah Eakins have always responded quickly and articulately to any email I've sent them. On the admin side, Jim Crouch and Randy Ottinger seem to work their tails off, and are always available via phone or email. I'm of the opinion that many BOD members either don't use the internet regularly, or they don't give a damn. It's one or the other.

A *lot* more can be accomplished in terms of PR. Look at what PD is doing with half the assets for PR that USPA has available. They're kicking something out almost every day. Look at what Kolla and Lara are going at BlueSkies as another great example.

There are sponsorship $$ out there. They just need to be sold "the beef."

On a side note, I'd appreciate and engage a check box on my membership renewal form that allows me to donate 2$, 5$, 10$ to the team.

A *lot* more can be accomplished in terms of PR. Look at what PD is doing with half the assets for PR that USPA has available. They're kicking something out almost every day. Look at what Kolla and Lara are going at BlueSkies as another great example.

That's kinda what I'm wondering about...IF there isn't 'something' being kicked out every day, or at least several times a week, then exactly what IS the strategy our PR person is using to inform, promote and create awareness?

I'm not saying there ISN'T productive work being done in that regard, just that I don't seem to be seeing it.

Even the USPA website seems sadly lacking in current and pertinent information, surely there is more going on in the sport than what's presented there.

The thing I find rather troubling, is that from the feed-back thus far in this thread...there is a seemingly tremendous lack of awareness and/or positive support regarding the US Team, and by 'support' I don't mean $, but rather interest.

Granted DizzyDot thread involvement is far from a 'scientific sample' - but I think a fair cross section gets represented...

~and I don't think I'd be off base to surmise that if the USPA P.R. 'machine' can't or hasn't effectively addressed the, let's call it 'complacency' toward the international competition team among this very MEMBERSHIP,

~then getting the attention & interest of 'strangers' and guiding them to hopefully take action with sponsorship deals... is gonna be an 'interesting' challenge.

Here is a pic I took at THE AWARDS ceremony and banquet.

So, if we can't produce an event that can keep THE PARTICIPANTS awake..... How do we expect to get spectators to care?

Why does the USPA not have a freakin' Nationals Website with reporting? Look at the Dubai information.... I can't even find the scores for some years Nationals online.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I proposed a dues increase. Not by any sneaky method. By vetting the issue for discuussion in the Parachutist magazine, then, if most members think it is a good idea, the BOD considers it and passes it (or doesn't pass) Open, transparent etc..

The opt out is just that.

This dues increase is just one idea. So far, I haven't heard of any others. (The dream of sponsorship is a good dream, but in my opinion not likely, Even if it were to happen for a year or two, it is not likely to go on as a reliable source.)

Other ideas for funding the US Team? So far, I'm not seeing any.

I do see opinions that basically say the US Team shouldn't be supported by USPA members. I respect those opinions, but if I read it right, this isn't a thread for that discussion. It is a thread for ideas to fund the team. When I access this thread, I'd like to see if there are any good and positive ideas out there for a reliable and reasonable way to help support the team.

I might be off base here but I am gonna toss this in the ring:

1) Don't force me to pay something in which I cannot receive a direct benefit. I think it's unfair that because I have a coach, AFF-I and a pro rating that I have to pay more for a team I could give a crap about.

2) This sham of a US team irks me, it's a group of individuals that got a free/no collateral $10k loan and are already looking for more USPA member's dollars.

3) If the USPA wants US teams represented in world events try this; divide the funds donated by the members to the "WINNERS" of open divisions. This way the money is spent on folks that have invested their own time and energy to prove themselves as champions.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I do see opinions that basically say the US Team shouldn't be supported by USPA members. I respect those opinions, but if I read it right, this isn't a thread for that discussion. It is a thread for ideas to fund the team. When I access this thread, I'd like to see if there are any good and positive ideas out there for a reliable and reasonable way to help support the team.

We understand you're looking for positive ideas. However, when it is suggested that USPA funds or increases in dues be used for this cause, I as a dues paying member have the right and responsibility to voice my opinion on that issue. And, I will voice my opinion loudly and firmly whether you agree with me or not.

Although I support the efforts of the US Team, I don’t support dues increases or “mandatory” contributions forced on me thru the USPA. :|

And to be accurate, there have been several good ideas discussed here. Hopefully, more to come... :)

I might be off base here but I am gonna toss this in the ring:

1) Don't force me to pay something in which I cannot receive a direct benefit. I think it's unfair that because I have a coach, AFF-I and a pro rating that I have to pay more for a team I could give a crap about.

~~~No problem, I don't think anyone is recommending a 'forced' contribution of any kind.

Unless you're considering the recent 'loan' as such, in which case it might be tough to argue.

But as far as a mandatory levy in the way of increased membership dues, I don't think that would fly with a majority of members.

2) This sham of a US team irks me, it's a group of individuals that got a free/no collateral $10k loan and are already looking for more USPA member's dollars.

~~~Well...I believe it was actually the 'advisor' to the US Team who authored the original plan setting in motion the loan procurement.

Now however with the subsequent negative reaction & retraction... the resulting 'plan B' will utilize these same funds (or whatever is left of 'em) to attempt to realize the same goal of gaining $ponsorship interest.

Either way, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn the 'average' team member wasn't aware of or a party to the loan intricacies.

The 'team' people are focused on performance precision, and rightfully so.

It wouldn't be fair to 'blame' the competitors for something they likely weren't fully aware of.

3) If the USPA wants US teams represented in world events try this; divide the funds donated by the members to the "WINNERS" of open divisions. This way the money is spent on folks that have invested their own time and energy to prove themselves as champions.

~~~Maybe I'm missing your meaning...

Isn't the US Team comprised of the top competitors in the highest class of various skydiving competition?

And the funds donated by the membership DO go toward sending those athletes into international competition...'indirectly' anyway, it's atually the invested interest of the donations being what's allocated.

Although I support the efforts of the US Team, I don’t support dues increases or “mandatory” contributions forced on me thru the USPA.

And to be accurate, there have been several good ideas discussed here. Hopefully, more to come...

To be accurate, the USPA hasn't proposed any kind of 'forced' or 'mandatory' contribution program, and in all honesty, most likely never would.
(again, that is unless you consider the loan thing to be as such - but currently intended as being a 'loan' not a 'gift', I wouldn't call it forced contribution...yet)

Unless I missed a memo, the recommendation of any dues increases as a funding vehicle for the US Team...was solely an idea/possible solution that was offered here on this thread...FOR discussion.

The USPA didn't bring it up...WE did, and yeah I 100% agree, probably not a good solution in the big picture.

But as I was saying way up early in the thread, there seems to be a fair amount of negative sentiment by the membership regarding...i dunno, maybe the 'image' of the USPA and it's focus toward assisting the Comp Teams.

Granted the recent demo team 'mis'direction thing probably didn't help to further the cause..."The positive exposure regarding the US Team", -within the membership anyway.

I stress again, it wasn't the 'Team' taking a loan from the membership, it was the BOD doing what it felt (right or wrong) would assist the organization to represent the nation.

Harboring resentment toward fellow skydivers who are nothing more in the overall scheme of things, than the skydivers being seleted as 'this years' crop of the best of US...is rather confusing to me.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not chastising you or anyone else for their opinion on the matter, in fact I kind of understand the emotional reasoning, but with some logical examination...much of what negative characterization is evident, appears to be based on inaccurate perception instead of reasonable fact.

Right or wrong, deserved or not...I'm truthfully curious as to why that is?

Here is noobs 2cents disregard if off base.

I'm not a member yet but plan on checking
The donations box on the application.

1. USPA could charge a few more $ for ads
In the mag to the bigger companies in the
Industry or all ads. The mag does reach all
Members. No clue what #(members) that would be.

2. At every meet and or comp. charge teams an extra
$10 or $20 for entering and that $ money would go to
The US team for int comps.
They should be no problem with that cuz they would be
Just be supporting them selves in a way.
The only ones who would be againts pay'n the extra $
would be the ones that think can't win and or make the
US team.

That my 2cents.
Thnx

The Noobs tend to make more sense anyway!! However, once again, your mandating donations from someone.

How about Parachutist prints a special layout...

U.S. Team sponsors: Any advertiser that wants to buy space can, the more $$$ the bigger the add, all proceeds go to the U.S. Team. And I'm not talking about the regulars, go after GM, Nike, Microsoft, etc.
:)

Here is noobs 2cents disregard if off base.

I'm not a member yet but plan on checking
The donations box on the application.

1. USPA could charge a few more $ for ads
In the mag to the bigger companies in the
Industry or all ads. The mag does reach all
Members. No clue what #(members) that would be.

2. At every meet and or comp. charge teams an extra
$10 or $20 for entering and that $ money would go to
The US team for int comps.
They should be no problem with that cuz they would be
Just be supporting them selves in a way.
The only ones who would be against pay'n the extra $
would be the ones that think can't win and or make the
US team.

That my 2cents.
Thnx

Hi Che~
Both of your suggestions on face, sound like they might be a move in the right direction...but I think there might be a bit more to it than we realize.

Remember that the USPA & the US Team are two completely separate entities as far as 'stand alone' corporations, though it is part of the USPA charter to support participation in international competition, I would guess directing corporate profits for advertising revenue from one company to a different tax exempt one would be creating a real can of worms in a lotta ways.

Also consider that the ad space is priced according to size, position, placement & color...it just wouldn't be fair business practice to arbitrary charge one company a different rate than another for similar size & placement etc.

Companies that choose to advertise in the magazine do so as part of a strategic campaign designed to increase profits for 'their' stockholders...they have no 'real' justification for spending more to be receiving the same 'service' as a competitor in the marketplace. Bad business.

It would be like you walking into a gear store to purchase a new rig...management says that since you choose to do business there, they are going to charge you a 'bit more' than the next person who is ordering the exact same rig.

You look like you should be able to afford it, and hey don't worry, the gear store plans to give 'your' over-charge to the taco shop down the street as a gift...'cause they're good guys and everybody likes tacos.

It's just not how business works...;)

The idea of charging an additional fee to participate in competition...that too may initially seem to have some merit, but again I wonder what the unseen 'business' complications might be regarding something like that...and as discussed above, 'requiring' the membership to fund the US Team, even just in that 'semi-targeted' manner probably isn't a fair thing.

A lot more people become involved in competition skydiving just for the fun of it, than do so with the aim of eventual international participation. It would be as counter productive to 'tax' them for it, as it would to impose the discussed mandatory contributions.

But then again who knows, elements of those kinds of ideas could possibly work... the thing is, we the 'general membership' are a finite re$ourse.

There is only just so much blood ya can take from the duck to make soup before it dies.

That means... as the USPA realizes and is focusing on, 'outside' funding needs to be sought.

What kind of ideas...just in the 'interest of discussion', might be productive and cost effective in THAT arena?

Hi airtwardo......yep me again :).....Since I grew up around a member of the very first USA P team, Bob Skinner, & my dad, Dick Enarson was a founder of the Parachutist Magazine (even tho his name is not in the credits).......it was all self funded. Just like all things.....they grow, liabilities incur & the way I was taught if u want it do it & get sponsers if u can't afford it!
When I figure out out how to post a pix I sure will!

I shouldn't hsve said there weren't any ideas. there were:

Although iit isn't an "idea" ,there is now and always has been a line item for every renewing or new member to donate to the US Team (and also the Legal Access Fund). At present, this approach isn't suffiecient to fund our competition teams

Ideas summarized: (If I have mischaracterized an idea I apologize)

. Dues increase and license fee increase, both with the choice to "opt out" - my idea
. get a corporate sponsor
. sell sponsor patches to sew onto jumpsuits & clothing
. DZO's treat major donors better
. USPA website to give props to competitors
. boogie organizers give the teams better exposure
. DZ owners donate $1 per jump and $2 per tandem on Safety Day
. USPA to sell US Team gear
. Standardize Nationals scores to generate advertising money
. At international competitions, drop all individual team names and have all teams be ID'd only as US Team members
. videos on facebook and youtube
. USPA to charge more for ads in Parachutist magazine
. charge teams an extra $10 to $20 at the competitions

I may have missed some, and incorrectly summarized some, but it is a start. Hopefully there are more positive funding ideas to come on this thread. Funding ideas that provide reliable and continuing money, year after year, would obviously be the best.

I shouldn't hsve said there weren't any ideas. there were:

Although iit isn't an "idea" ,there is now and always has been a line item for every renewing or new member to donate to the US Team (and also the Legal Access Fund). At present, this approach isn't suffiecient to fund our competition teams

Ideas summarized: (If I have mischaracterized an idea I apologize)

. Dues increase and license fee increase, both with the choice to "opt out" - my idea
. get a corporate sponsor
. sell sponsor patches to sew onto jumpsuits & clothing
. DZO's treat major donors better
. USPA website to give props to competitors
. boogie organizers give the teams better exposure
. DZ owners donate $1 per jump and $2 per tandem on Safety Day
. USPA to sell US Team gear
. Standardize Nationals scores to generate advertising money
. At international competitions, drop all individual team names and have all teams be ID'd only as US Team members
. videos on facebook and youtube
. USPA to charge more for ads in Parachutist magazine
. charge teams an extra $10 to $20 at the competitions

I may have missed some, and incorrectly summarized some, but it is a start. Hopefully there are more positive funding ideas to come on this thread. Funding ideas that provide reliable and continuing money, year after year, would obviously be the best.

An option is to have the US Team members produce a subscription video or training video that is VOD (Video on Demand) that enables skydivers to watch discipline specific training in small chunks. Wanna learn docking secrets, accuracy techniques, gear tips, etc, from Jim Hayhurst, Chris Gay, Cheryl Stearns, Jonathan Tagle, Craig Girard, etc 1.99 and click here. Thing iTunes for skydive video training.

No manufacturing cost, US Team members donate a little time and share knowledge, USPA already has a website with commerce.
Sell "Sponsored by" or "brought to you by...." slots at the head and tail of each 3-7 minute episode, graphics package and V/O announcing the sponsor(s).
FWIW, the PIA videos we do each year have cumulatively gone well over 1.8M views. .01% of those views would likely pay a buck or two per view of training material from world champions/would-be world champions, it's not small change.