fasted3

Crabby Pilots

time-builders

Reminds me of a funny story..
I recently met a person who left their job to get their pilot's licence in pursuit of their dream of becoming a captain on an airliner.

That licence is in the pocket, but I know that doesn't mean they have enough hours to fly an airliner, or even something like a Caravan.
So I told said person that they might like to become a jump pilot and that way build some more hours and work their way up to bigger aircraft. The person gave me a condecending look and literally said "that no airline would take a guy seriously who spent their time on a job like flying skydivers" or [towing advertisements] or for that matter any other kind of GA. They then went on to say that the first thing to do was to find a job with an airliner and then start building hours while flying for them. Since this person was easily over thirty (conservative estimate) I just shook my head at them and walked away.

Well, there might have been some miscommunication between the two of you, but in general, I'd side with that guy. Flying skydivers isn't very useful towards the end goal of flying for an airline.

I've done several jobs in aviation (including flying jumpers, and now, working for an airline), and I'd say the jumper flying was probably the most simple, brainless flying I've done in my 7-year career. Not to say it wasn't fun, and educational in some respects, but I don't consider it a job that takes much skill, relative to most other jobs in aviation. It's 180 degrees different from the airline world.

If I'm ever on an interview board for an airline and an applicant comes in with lots of jump pilot time, I'd have a lot of fun shooting the breeze with them about skydiving, but I wouldn't necessarily respect them for their flying skills. I'd want to see other experience along with it.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to gently remind them (at least the time-builders) that maybe they should enjoy the job while they can. Someday they will be thousands of miles from home in some bumblef*ck city/country on Christmas day, away from family and friends so someone else can be with theirs, on day 7 with some dickwad they can't stand, eating feline teriyaki from a Chinese joint in a strip mall because nothing else is open.

Sounds like truck driving.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

When you are jumping at a large DZ flying turbine aircraft, you can for the most part be assured that this isn't your pilots first trip to the rodeo. Obey the green light! He knows the winds, and knows the spot, and how deep he can take it before needing a 2nd pass.

With all due respect, I've been hosed by very experienced turbine pilots. Not all the time, but often enough to watch out for myself and adjust my exit accordingly if necessary.

Unbelievable...19 posts and nobody has mention Mike Mullins.
:o:o:o

Ha. First time I flew in his plane, the initial briefing point was "If you fart, he will drop you where you are"

Yup, and that's no exaggeration. Back in 2001 at Quincy, he tossed us out about 4 miles from the airport cause someone crapped themselves.

did you make it back? ***

we pulled high - all but one of us did anyhow, and being mostly on the wind line we made it back to the dz easily.

funniest part of the jump was Bill, he's a big guy and tracks like an anvil, he pulled lowest and I am pretty sure he tossed at 2k, he landed on the airport property so I suppose he didnt do too badly

however he had to walk, so we had our beers open by the time he got there, he had his chest puffed out and greeted us with a big grin, fingers in our faces, and the words - "I smoked all you all!!!"

which had us spitting beer laughing our asses off asking what jump he was on:D he was adamant that he opened and when he looked back we were all behind him.... then Dave figured out that Bill probably had a 180 off heading opening...

omg, I even after all this time I am laughing again about this..:)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

When you are jumping at a large DZ flying turbine aircraft, you can for the most part be assured that this isn't your pilots first trip to the rodeo. Obey the green light! He knows the winds, and knows the spot, and how deep he can take it before needing a 2nd pass.

Spoken like a true pilot.
All fine and dandy....if YOU were the one wearing the parachute. Me? I'll make the GO/NO GO decision for myself...regardless of the DZ or aircraft type.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Apology accepted. :)
I, on occasion, have been a grumpy air traffic controller.:$

Have you ever issued "penalty vectors"? ;)
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Have you ever issued "penalty vectors"? ;)

:)

I've vectored pilots away from where they wanted to go until they would comply with my other instructions. That and changed around some arrival sequences due to my perception of certain pilots' I.Q.'s.;)

Seriously, though, being a jumper first, I tend to work pretty hard for the little guy. I've got a collection of "thank you" notes from over the years that mean more to me than any of the awards the FAA has given me. I know what it's like to be scared in the air.;):D

'

... That licence is in the pocket, but I know that doesn't mean they have enough hours to fly an airliner, or even something like a Caravan.
So I told said person that they might like to become a jump pilot and that way build some more hours and work their way up to bigger aircraft. ... They then went on to say that the first thing to do was to find a job with an airliner and then start building hours while flying for them. ...

"

With a fresh commercial pilot license, he might get a job shlepping bags or checking tickets for a major airline. If he is really lucky, he can drive the fuel truck - at O-dark-thirty and fly as co-pilot on the (once a month) non-revenue ferry flight.

It is not easy to get your foot in the door with a major airline and junior co-pilots get paid less than city bus drivers.
It helps to be single, female, bi-lingual (in Canada that means french as your first language) under thirty and willing to re-locate to some frozen waste-land.

It is not easy to get your foot in the door with a major airline and junior co-pilots get paid less than city bus drivers.

The first part isn't true...it's easier now than it probably has ever been to get 'on' with a major.

My wife is a senior Captain flying heavies internationally, we live in a 'burb near Bush Intercontinental and many of our neighbors are pilots...one works in the Training Dept. and it's amazing listening to some of his stories.

There are very predictable trends regarding pilot hiring. Economic conditions of course play a role, but according to our neighbor, the peaks & valleys in the commercial pilot employment game started about the early to mid 70's.

Following the Vietnam deescalation, there was an abundance of military trained, relatively experienced airplane drivers looking for work. Following the end of the conflict the economy was growing and leisure travel generally increased and the airlines grew.

Airline flying jobs are obviously 'career destinations' so to speak, getting one isn't usually viewed as a stepping stone to some 'other type' of career. Once in, barring a failed medical, most stick it out until retirement.

The guys going in after Vietnam were about the same age, and hit 62 at around the same time starting the hiring bubble that seems to continue today.

From what I understand, the employment criteria has changed a few times over the years as far as what's considered to be the best 'type' of pilot to hire.

Amazing to think rationalizing critical decisions like that would be (IMHO anyway) based a large part on stereotypical characterizations.

It would seem whatever 'research' that went into determining the best candidate was flawed because of the major swings of what's considered desirable over the years.

Military trained pilots were good~ then they were too regimented, private pilots with self-financed training and logbook time were good~ then they had maybe instilled too many 'bad habits' that they would fall back into...various factors like marital status, certain age ranges and educational backgrounds were entry level suicide for a time there.

I'm told that during one period of time ~ if ya were the right age, went to the right school, had the right major, were the right sex, the right color & had the right number of kids...even if couldn't park a car in a barn, thought 'stall training' referred to public restrooms and had a logbook full of Parker Pen time you were IN. :S

Things seem a little different for the better now, individual qualifications are more important to an extent although certain criteria ranges are preferred.

It seems the 'airline factory' type trained pilots are highly regarded these days.
I know people that following liberal arts studies in college went to schools in Fla., going from 'zero time' to 152's to 310's to turbines to Boeing jets in 12 months.
They are in the right seat on regional puddle jumpin' taxis waiting to move on up.

Heck, one guy we know has absolutely NO interest in flying other than the narrow scope pertaining directly to his employment...kinda weird, my kids know more about 'general aviation' than he does! :D

Anyway...I believe the industry is approaching another employment bubble relatively soon.

Our neighbor says there is 'gearing up' in his department being discussed as a possible 500 (+ or -) new hires are foreseen are being needed to meet forecast requirements due to indicated industry expansion and both scheduled & 'merger motivated' early retirements. If one were so inclined, I'd be thinking now would be the time to start gettin' busy with resumes. ;)

On the other point of your comment...

I couldn't believe what some low-timers are being paid, a cousin of mine flying for a major's 'express' division, makes more money as a 'part-time' CFI than he does with the stripes on.
Like he says it's a waiting game, he keeps urging my honey not to wait until the new mandatory retirement age of 65...:ph34r:

On a personal note:
I really blew it way back when. I was in college, a skydiver and private pilot...for a couple years back then my roomie was in advanced flight training at the university.

His father was in the top echelon of senior Captains at United, the guy must have told me 100 times to get my butt into the flight program.

He told me flat out, & a lot more than once - do MY part and he would do HIS...! :)

I had NO freakin' IDEA, trust me if I knew then what I know NOW...:SB|

Can't count the number of times I've looked back at that 'offer' and thought OOPS! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

With all due respect, I've been hosed by very experienced turbine pilots. Not all the time, but often enough to watch out for myself and adjust my exit accordingly if necessary.

Really? An air traffic controller who doesn't have an abiding faith in the wisdom and competence of pilots. How unusual.

Now I do try to pick my time to talk to them. I understand that there are times to leave them alone. I get that.
I think a few are just plain crabby.
Anybody else ever run into this?
Discussion point: Dumb things skydivers do that piss off pilots.
The object of this thread is to promote communications between skydivers and pilots, thus improving safety, and to find ways to smooth our interactions and avoid conflict.

Not dumb, but perhaps just not yet aware of protocol / etiquette?

1) people who don't know or can't recognize when it is good / bad to try to speak with the pilot

2) people asking for major corrections to the jump run (shorter, change in heading) as the plane approaches or turns on to jump run

3) people spotting for themselves or their group from a larger plane (e.g. Otter) after the light comes one and screwing up the spot / jumprun

4) people making excessive noise -- or stink -- in the plane

I have met some pilots who may not immediately seem 'warm and friendly' or particularly chatty in the plane, but they're some of the best in the business because they're focused on that business. I like to let them do their job.

2) 'people asking for major corrections to the jump run (shorter, change in heading) as the plane approaches or turns in on jump run'

Well, you are correct on "major" corrections, but I would argue that usually the only time to alter the change in heading, or shortening or lenghtening the exit point IS on the beginning of, or during the jump run. That is the first time the plane is flying straight and level and the target can be viewed by the jumpmaster in relationship to the aircraft's movement. I agree this is no time for major corrections, but; when I see the plane barely making headway and I want the load to get out later (extend the spot); or if the plane is drifting left or right a lot, and I want to have a 10 or 15 degree change in heading to compensate for freefall drift and being over the exit point that is intended, I don't want any backtalk from the pilot. Of course, if the jumpmaser (for want of a better term) sees the canopies of the load before having to crab all of the time or to hold or run just to get to the landing area, before the plane takes off, then he can tell the pilot to make changes prior to takeoff, but, in the normal situation, where the JM is getting his first look at the situation, and the plane is drifting in relationship to the ground or an adjustment is called for on shortening or lengthening the exit; I expect the pilot to execute and be quiet. So, maybe the defintion of "major" is the point here, but, unlesss the pilot has a gps unit that tells him when the plane is drifiting or the ground speed, and when the pilot notices that AND KNOWS WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT when he sees this, then he should defer to the guy looking out the door. I expect the pilot to accept my request to "Lenghten the exit by 1/4 mile" or if there is a GPS to "Extend the exit two clicks" or "10 left". or "Offset the jump run to the left by one click". Yes the pilot is in command - PIC, but his job is to deliver the jumpers to a good exit point

I guess all know that a GPS's are read as one tenth of a nautical mile of 6000 feet. Therefore, one click means one tenth of a nautical mile which is 600 feet.
So, if the JM says to "Extend the exit point by two clicks", he means to extend it by 1200 feet roughly /a quarter of a mile. Or "Offset the jump run to the left by one click" it means to fly the jump run in a straight line 600 feet to the left of the previous jump run. I have never (OK maybe never is too strong) had a problem with a pilot doing any of this, but this comment is to avoid the pilot having the mindset that a jump run should never be changed. Sometimes it should be. And if it is changed, the pilot shouldn't have an attitude about it.

Ideally, if the pilot has a GPS gizmo, and notices the groundspeed being way way slow or fast, or he notices the plane drifitng left or right , and reacts by flying to correct drift or turning on the exit light sooner or later these discussions are unnecesary. But, expecting to fly the same jump run all day, and being irritated when he hears a request, is a bit arrogant. Hence some of the stories and gripes I have heard over many years. I haven't had problems, but others have.

We BOTH know a silver haired demo jumpin' d00d that has time & again called for 5-left.....then.....5-right! :D:D:S I think we were BOTH laughin' when he did it in Wis. this summer!

Fill out your 'profile' H.W., ~:)
'I' know the experience & authority with which you speak, but a lotta the others on here might be amazed to see someone still cranking 'em out ...who's been 'Knees in the Breeze' three times longer than even me! B|

~Ya old fart! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We BOTH know a silver haired demo jumpin' d00d that has time & again called for 5-left.....then.....5-right! :D:D:S

There are a couple of circumstances where that can be perfectly legit.

One would be if you realize after the first command that it was a mistake, and you want to go back to where you were. The spotter should swallow their pride and make the proper correction. They should not continue on a bad line because they're too embarassed to admit they made a bad call.

The second would be if you need to offset the jump run to one side a bit. By going 5-left for a while and then getting back on the original track with a 5-right, you have moved the jump run laterally. And that is sometimes needed when the track is off to one side too far.

I know you know all this, but I thought I'd throw this out there for others.

We BOTH know a silver haired demo jumpin' d00d that has time & again called for 5-left.....then.....5-right! :D:D:S

There are a couple of circumstances where that can be perfectly legit. .

All too true. Been there, done that on both instances.
Well, mine was early on jump run, "5-left! Oooops! Now go back 10 right!"

Pilot later asked..."Are you sure you know your right from your left?"
:$:D:D

BTW, we ended up on-target and all had great a great spot....even the one that had cutaway a D5 and landed his Lo-Po in the peas.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

We're on the same page.

I was referring to major or significant changes to the start of the jumprun or the jumprun heading based on the outcome of the spot from prior loads and how / when such a request gets communicated to the pilot -- my first point.

Obviously, this type of request should be communicated well before the plane gets to jumprun or on the ground.