KollegeKay

Florida Skydiving

Zhills closes during the week in winter/spring? I'd double check that if i were you... That's probably their summer hours (I haven't been to zhills in years so i wouldn't know for sure).

And it's great that you want to spend quite a bit of time watching and getting a lay of the land, but 1/2 a day should be plenty for that (but if you feel you want or need more, go for it).

PS: even if there's wing suiting or other events at either zhills or seb (like in the full thine dz thread) you will have plenty of time, loads, people to jump with at either dz. They are large drop zones that will keep things going. But don't hang hang out with the wingsuiters. They're weird, and they smell funny. ;)

In he end , you'll have a great time at either dz.... Just go dammit!

Remster

I am newly A-licensed, so I do not think too many people would be interested in including me on their dives. (I might mess it up :()

This makes me sad. Evidently someone had put it into your head that being a young jumper means that you might "mess up somebody's jump".

Whoever gave you that idea should be spanked, IMO.

There's not a sane skydiver in the world who would tell you that. Your job, as a youngster, is to have fun and learn as much as you can. My job as a sane jumper is to help you with that.

Hang out with the sane ones.
:)

... I am possibly interested in getting a 20-jump package (if available) from the DZ I stay at.

Word of advice. Be careful with that. Two things:

1- Before you buy, know the refund policy of the DZ. You may get stick with unused jump tickets.

2- Besides that, the money saved on a 20-jump deal is so small as to be negligible at nearly every DZ that offers it. It may be better to keep that money in YOUR pocket until needed for tickets.

free tent camping option, showers available, and food on premises. B|

All available at Z-hills Skydive City.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

and the Tadpole for HnP's / swoops!/ demo's :P

B|

KK ask for me or Annemarie at manifest. Or look for the goofy guy wearing pink earmuffs. We will get you on some jumps appropriate to your skill level.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

and the Tadpole for HnP's / swoops!/ demo's :P

B|

KK ask for me or Annemarie at manifest. Or look for the goofy guy wearing pink earmuffs. We will get you on some jumps appropriate to your skill level.

At the risk of ruining Rick's reputation as an Asshole, look him up when you get there. He's good people and will make sure you get on the right jumps. Also, when he's sitting down because of winds, join him. You'll hear some good stories and you can stand on the back porch and watch everyone else pound in.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

SKYDIVE CITY/ZHILLS HOURS - 7 days a week in the Winter. From May 1 - November 1 Skydive City is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I don't know if your trip will coincide with other Colleges Spring Break, but last year we had a large group of Midshipmen and Women come from the Naval Academy. In that period of time some of them started jumping and left with their A License and they are a great group!

SKYDIVE CITY/ZHILLS - Celebrating 50 years of Skydiving!!

She's a chick, they aren't date challenged like you are old man.

Summer and winter hours.
It ain't summer for a long time.

:P

Still no dates?
Give it up...don't keep it secret.
:D:D

edited to add:
Nevermind. Joannie makes a better wing man.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

OK, so, new question... if I am unable to borrow a friend's rig, in case something were to come up, what are the rental costs down there? Is there a one-time daily fee, or a fee for each jump & rental?

Thanks for all the helpful posts! I guess I over looked the hours of operation, I will be all good if I go to Z-Hills then. (P.S. I hope to eventually fly a wingsuit! So I may venture over to talk to some wingsuiters!)

Oh, by the way, I do not have a driver's license. Unfortantely, this means I will not be able to travel from one drop zone to the next, that would be fun to do, but difficult for someone in my position. I have been trying to search for some type of transit system down there, but I have had no luck. Anyone have any advice with that? Or should I just stick to one DZ due to my lack of mobility? I noticed that of the 3 DZs I have been looking into, they are all about 2 hours aways from each other (or more).

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

send me a pm about a week before you come to florida, i am a local and a wingsuiter. i travel to zhills, sebastian, clewiston basically every weekend. and i have a drivers liscense:P sebastian is almost 3 hours from zhills, but worth the drive on weekends. as far as rig rental im pretty sure it is on a per jump basis. i think $25... and a $6 pack job. but you might be able to work something out. give them a call 813 783 9399

Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

who said Z-Hills is closed? We are 7 days a week my friend.

KollegeKay did, I was responding to that without looking up when the hours change myself. I'll be hitting the ones in the area up starting in Feb and may take some longer trips out to others.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Who said Z-Hills is closed? We are open 7 days a week my friend.

KollegeKay did

I read it somewhere... so I was not sure if Z-Hills would be the best option for my trip because of it. :o That has all changed now! :)
My trip is not just about skydiving, it is about meeting some awesomely amazing people who skydive! I cannot wait for the stories told at sunset! Do any of the DZs have bonfires??? What is the social scene after the sun goes down? (What kind of crazy can I expect to encounter?)

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Not a problem, I just didn't check up on it myself.

I haven't jumped at any of those myself yet. I live in Tampa but I've been away for work more than I've been there the last 3 years. My home DZ was Miami but I haven't jumped in a while due to debt. I plan on getting back into it in earnest upon my return though! B|

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

With THOSE questions....go to Z-Hills.
You won't be happier.
Everyone is friendly. Very much so.
If you're camping, odds are you will instantly be treated like family.
Full service dropzone.
Camp, bathrooms, showers, laundry, gear rental, packing, all sorts of jumping, all sorts of events, visitors from the world over, a bunch of ass holes, wingsuits, free fly, people willing and happy to get young jumpers on organized jumps, food, bonfire, great bar with a very nice selection of beer, beautiful weather....I better stop ... I'll make people jealous and then they too will come down here and the damn planes will be crowded!!!
:D:D:D

Best.
Sunset.
In.
Florida.

Enjoy a drink, floating in a raft in the swoop pond, at sunset, in warm and sunny Florida.

Duh.

I just can't wait to jump from a SKYVAN!!!! I get to jump from one, right??? This site says Z-Hills has one... I am looking forward to that!

I like crazy... I've been told I am crazy, but I just don't see it. I would like to return home with my jump count at 50 (or higher, if I can somehow pull that off). I know a few instructors up here that go to Z-Hills in our off-season, but I think by the time my Spring Break comes around, they will have returned! :(

I doubt I could, but if I was offered to pack tandems, I know I could pull off more jumps! That would also depend if the DZ uses hooks for their tandems. (I have experience packing racer tandem rigs). This would be best if the wind is too turbulent for me to jump, but tandems can still be done.

Anyways, I am trying to gather as much information as possible to make my trip as enjoyable as possible, safe as possible, and within budget! I just would like to really pull off this Spring Break - I sacrificed my Spring Break last year to be able to do Florida this year, I think I can find a way to make it happen. I'm such a dork that I have used google maps to scope out the aerials of the drop zones! B|:P

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

I doubt I could, but if I was offered to pack tandems, I know I could pull off more jumps!

They've got plenty of the 'nylon compression engineers' around, so you shouldn't expect to be able to pack them, besides, they use Strong Dual Hawks.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

They've got plenty of the 'nylon compression engineers' around, so you shouldn't expect to be able to pack them, besides, they use Strong Dual Hawks.

I am pretty sure this is what I will be packing next season... I was told it closes the same as a Javelin. I might watch pack jobs anyways to see what I pick up. I definitely want to learn the psycho pack, but not very many people do it.

P.S. I have packed the student rigs too, which is a Javelin, and learned how to pro pack a sport rig. As a student, I was checked off early in my AFF program for packing.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

I am pretty sure this is what I will be packing next season... I was told it closes the same as a Javelin. I might watch pack jobs anyways to see what I pick up.

Not quite sure who would say that a SDH closes the same as a Javelin, but there is a LOT more involved than 4 flaps. :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Do any of the DZs have bonfires???

Then your choice should be Zhills.

I just can't wait to jump from a SKYVAN!!!! I get to jump from one, right???

If it is there, you will be allowed to jump it.

I doubt I could, but if I was offered to pack tandems, I know I could pull off more jumps!

They have a staff of packers... It is one of the more difficult jobs to break into at a big DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334