KollegeKay

[Read post first] Should I...

I was offered to pack at a larger DZ than my home DZ for next season, however, I found out that it only offers full-time positions and transportation is a must.

I do not own a car and I would be required to reinstate my driver's license in order to drive, on a college student budget. (This option is not likely to happen this coming summer).

The position is only a full-time position... has anyone had the experience of being offered a full-time packing job to find themselves a few weeks later not doing anything at all?

Thanks. I will consider all advice given and take in all feedback on the topic.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Just do NOT give up college to be a parachute packer...

That is NOT my intention, what-so-ever! Sad thing is, I might have to take a summer off from jumping! :(x1000

I am considering getting my bartender license for this summer (aside from the full-time babysitting and house cleaning I do) to save up money to get a car. I just really don't enjoy bar drunks. :S

Plus, I know it will be hard to find a local place that would be hiring only during the summer... but it is not like I would request Friday's or the weekend, I would try to still save those for DZ time! {decisions, decisions}

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

Packing - great pay, very hard work, long days, no weekends off. You might get to jump on the first load/last load on the weekends, but mostly plan on jumping during the week.

Not pakcing - you might get weekends off, and be able to jump with your friends and have fun.

There's no clear cut answer. You have to look at your earning potential, and what you want to do with your time and your life. If the DZ job is going to require some 'investment', factor that in as well.

Overall, I agree you should get your license reinstated no matter what you do. Once you have it, it's free (mostly) to keep, and something you're going to end up needing.

Hot tip- see if anyone near the DZ has a room to rent for the season. It's not uncommon for jumpers or friends of jumpers to rent out a room in their house. The rent is usually cheap, and you can either walk, ride a bike, or bum a ride to the DZ. A house is way better than a trailer, and you save the money you would spend buying a trailer. Maybe that option will let you save some packing money, and get your license back at the end of the season?

Packing - great pay, very hard work, long days, no weekends off. You might get to jump on the first load/last load on the weekends, but mostly plan on jumping during the week.

My focus and priority was to pack this next season to build up an account to purchase my first rig and to attend a canopy piloting camp.

Hot tip- see if anyone near the DZ has a room to rent for the season..... Maybe that option will let you save some packing money, and get your license back at the end of the season?

If I were to move extremely close to the DZ or on the DZ property, the goal would be to obtain my license sooner! I do own a bike, so if I were able to find a room to rent, that is practical. Thanks for the suggestion!

BrokenR1 - I own a bicycle already, but riding 42.5 miles x2 everyday is just not happening! Now if the above was an option to me, I could ride my bike to the DZ from the closer location.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

You could get a motorcycle license and something like a zuma! 129 miles a gallon or so. ;)

I do not trust myself on a motorcycle because I love SPEED! That is why I found skydiving! (and I still want to go faster! B|)
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

You could get a motorcycle license and something like a zuma! 129 miles a gallon or so. ;)

I do not trust myself on a motorcycle because I love SPEED! That is why I found skydiving! (and I still want to go faster! B|)

Well the Zuma only does about 40 mph so I think you'll be safe. Speed seems to be my problem as well. I'm looking for another R1 now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Just as a by-the-by, my son was a bartender in school, and found it to be the perfect job; made plenty of money to pay for tuition and expenses. Living expenses were free (lived with his dad), but that's still pretty good money.

And I'm not sure if drunks or skydivers are worse sometimes :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As a bar tender if the weather is cloudy, you still make money.

As a packer if the weather is cloudy, you make ZERO.

I was a packer in college and I made some of the best money and some of the worse money. My friend who stayed on working in the bar I had been working at previously made more money in the long run then I did.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As a bar tender if the weather is cloudy, you still make money.

As a packer if the weather is cloudy, you make ZERO.

+1

I was a packer for a season, didn't get to jump much, but made some pretty decent money much of the time. When the weather starts to suck, you can sit all weekend and maybe get one or two packed.

Now I'm a rigger. 'Hey dude, your reserve is about to need a repack, weather is crap today, want me to take care of it for ya?' ;)

Though, I still prefer the no-pay coach jumps with students. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Are you any good? :ph34r:

Hell if I know, 60 repacks and nobody fired one yet (that I know of)...

Though, that's how I like it and am fine with keeping that record going. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

1. It is clear you are just shopping for the answer you want.
2. You should post NON-skydiving questions like this in Bonfire.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I may have mentioned this to you before.
There's a simple solution to ALL your current problems:
S_U_G_A_R D_A_D_D_Y

Popsjumper, I am not into that kind of thing, sorry. If I were, I would have been taken care of a long time ago. ;)

I will keep that in mind for future reference, Ron, but I was really looking for others' advice and experience on the topic. I will not quit school to become a packer, but I am willing to make other sacrifices at this time to pack.
Bonfire board it is, next time.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver