Xhollister

Hollister and Groupon

I have come to the conclusion that there are alot of DZOs/DZMs that are dumb fucks.

After reading many of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that you are PA removed by slotperfect.
But seriously you seem to have all the right answers when it comes to running a DZ, who why aren't you in business full time?

Yes i also find it strange that he goes out of his way to complain about a dz opening up in fitzgerald when he had an opportunity to open up himself

This is news to me. Customers get hosed?
Before you flip out, I'm just askin'.

I am not generically lumping all groupon offer sinto one category. I am sure there are plenty of dropzones out there that are offering good service to groupon customers. our experience is otherwise here at Z-Hills. I get regular calls from customers who sat for hours at the groupon DZ and never got to go, only got lower altitude, could not jump as a group, whatever, and then hope I can take them up at the same 'groupon' price.

My point is that if you pay half price for something, then you should set your expectations lower. If you get half the service, then do not come whining to anyone about it - you go ht you paid for.

Yes i also find it strange that he goes out of his way to complain about a dz opening up in fitzgerald when he had an opportunity to open up himself

EXACTLY! Then he was going to make the DZO (who I don't know, so I'm not defending) "the most hated man in skydiving behind SR guys"? Your leasing a fleet of twin otters for a once a year 4 day boogie and your afraid a guy with a C-182 is going to put you under???

The details might be very telling.
Hard to tell from the outside what started the issues....but I expect they are very well founded.

Misleading the city officials is a bad thing. Kinda gives city governments a bad taste about skydivers in general.
Skyride is still not good for our industry.

I expect a few of you would welcome one opening near your personal favorite dz though.

:S:S:S

Well now, I think Skydive Deland has it figured out how to make Groupon work for them a lot better than many DZ's (which is not surprising.)

Groupon says the jump is a $210 value, but the SDD web site lists prices as Tandem Skydive $179, Groups of 4 to 6 $165, Groups of 7 or more $155. And they are only discounting it 40%, not 50 or more like a lot of Groupon deals. If their Groupon customers figure that out they may not be happy, but it is an old marketing idea. Increase the normal price, they give a discount.

So while they may not be making money, they might not be actually losing money like many drop zones are that use it. That's they deal with Groupon, you need to figure out if it can be used without losing money.

The only surprising thing SDD did was to make the coupon good for a year.

Does SDD have excess capability and need the extra customers?

Well now, I think Skydive Deland has it figured out how to make Groupon work for them a lot better than many DZ's (which is not surprising.)

Groupon says the jump is a $210 value, but the SDD web site lists prices as Tandem Skydive $179, Groups of 4 to 6 $165, Groups of 7 or more $155. And they are only discounting it 40%, not 50 or more like a lot of Groupon deals. If their Groupon customers figure that out they may not be happy, but it is an old marketing idea. Increase the normal price, they give a discount.

So while they may not be making money, they might not be actually losing money like many drop zones are that use it. That's they deal with Groupon, you need to figure out if it can be used without losing money.

Groupon takes half so they are doing tandems for $62.50 Please tell me how you make money at $62.50?

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Deland is doing it now too.

Quote: "you get a tandem skydive jump from Daytona Skydive in DeLand" and "Daytona Skydive's experienced instructors accompany fledgling flyers on awe-evoking plunges above scenic Daytona Beach areas".

I'm confused. Daytona and Deland are two different places. Skydive Deland is not called "Daytona". Daytona is not Deland. And if it's really in Deland, they're not "above the beach", they're 25 miles from the beach. What's going on here? Does Skydive Deland have an outlying branch operation in Daytona Beach? Is Deland trying to hide the fact that they're the source of the Groupon deal by interjecting the name "Daytona"? Is it it just some script-writer for Groupon that doesn't know anything that is mixing up the names and descriptions?

It is not DeLand, it is another Company using a different name, but buying seats on the DeLand AC.

Call the number on the Co Webpage, you might be confused, disappointed or pissed when you do.
the # is 386 262 0622

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Groupon takes half so they are doing tandems for $62.50 Please tell me how you make money at $62.50?

Do they always take half? Or can it be negotiated?

Also, further upstream in this thread someone noticed it is not SDD, but some other company using SDD facilities. Now it really doesn't make sense. SDD might have excess capability to benefit [not lose their ass] with Groupon, but a smaller company would not.

It's a crazy thing isn't it, this skydiving business?

Hollister did it for $50

You sell video that will never be delivered, never take a load past 8k, and sell lots of upgrades to go to 11k. Sell lots of AFF packages at $999.00 with 10 free jump tickets when you finish. Sell a "Million ft for a thousand bucks" that works out to 67 tickets at $15 each to go to"15k"(more like 11k or 12k)

You will still go broke.

Do they always take half? Or can it be negotiated?

Also, further upstream in this thread someone noticed it is not SDD, but some other company using SDD facilities. Now it really doesn't make sense. SDD might have excess capability to benefit [not lose their ass] with Groupon, but a smaller company would not.

It's a crazy thing isn't it, this skydiving business?

If you are a return customer I have heard of negotiated rates of 40% but nothing less. The major problem that people do not get is your eating your market. You get this huge influx of cash but a negative is a negative. You cannot sell anything at a loss and make up for it in volume. Only ones that have been able to capitalize on lost leaders have been the big stores like walmart. they will lose $2 on an item because you can't walk into walmart and not spend $100 and walmart sells CONSUMABLES. Also when your in walmart you see items that you will want to come back for thus buiding loyalty.

Tandems are mostly a 1 and done. When you eat your market at a 50% loss you will soon not have any one left to pay full price.

The same holds true for every buisness that uses Groupon. It is so sad that people cannot do simple basic math. I have so many customers around the country that are now facing shutting their doors because they felt they had to run a groupong because the guy across town ran one. Now everyone is working at a loss as they have no time for full paying customers and what was once a full paying customer now has a groupon in hand...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

EXACTLY! Then he was going to make the DZO (who I don't know, so I'm not defending) "the most hated man in skydiving behind SR guys"? Your leasing a fleet of twin otters for a once a year 4 day boogie and your afraid a guy with a C-182 is going to put you under???

I'll admit to letting my emotions get away from me when I wrote that, I was mad. Aside from that, I don't give a fuck what the two of you think of me.

Do I remember correctly that Hollister accepts GC's from Skyride? If they do, It's learned behavior, Criminal by association! It is what it is!

Yes Sir! You would be correct! I called them to confirm after I saw your post about that and the answer is YES! They do! They were already on our DZ's list as one to stay away from, so I will see about adding something to indicate that they are stealing from their customers! B|B|B|
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

There is an instructor who's trying to start up a DZ in Daytona, but until he get's the permission for the airspace and land to operate out of, he's going to be using Deland. (from what I'm told)

It is NOT Deland selling groupons.

(yes, I know what I'm talking about, I was the one that took the picture that is on the groupon page)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Judging by the Yelp reviews & Groupon's site, Hollister has been running deals through Groupon, Travelzoo, TownHog & other sites every few months for the last 2-3 years. Obviously if they keep running the deals they must be making money through them. From the complaints all over the web, it looks like the way they're making money is by pulling bait & switch scams, charging for upgrades they know they won't/can't perform, charging for videos they never provide, etc. great way to represent the sport, guys.

There is an instructor who's trying to start up a DZ in Daytona, but until he get's the permission for the airspace and land to operate out of, he's going to be using Deland. (from what I'm told)

It is NOT Deland selling groupons.

(yes, I know what I'm talking about, I was the one that took the picture that is on the groupon page)

Just out of curiosity...
Who is the instructor and you did give permission to use your photo, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The major problem that people do not get is your eating your market. You get this huge influx of cash but a negative is a negative. You cannot sell anything at a loss and make up for it in volume.

The major problem is that you keep making the assumption that every DZO is selling these at a loss. Breaking even is not selling things at a loss, and breaking even is only breaking even for one person, the DZO. Breaking even implies that all expenses are paid, such as the TIs, packers, pilots, aircraft, fuel, gear, etc. To all of those people/catagories, a tandem that breaks even on costs is a full-paying gig.

Like I said upthread, if a DZO can make a break even deal with Groupon, and use the capacity to their benefit, there's a place for it in skydviing. You chose to ignore all of that ans suggest I was a moron who didn't understand business, but my point remains valid.

Selling anything at a loss is dumb. Selling a shitload of them is a shitload of dumb. We didn't need you to point that out.

Just out of curiosity...
Who is the instructor and you did give permission to use your photo, right?

Neither of which are part of this thread or really anyone's business.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not that I’m in any way, shape or form justifying Groupon, as they’ve morphed into something generally pretty shity for businesses and consumers,

BUT…….

Remember that the original idea behind Groupon was that it was supposed to be “pay-per-click web advertising meets the real world.” For example, a business could spend $10K on radio ads and hope some customers showed up, or, they could spend $10K losing money on their sales with Groupon and be guaranteed to have x number of customers show up. That, at least, was the theory. Might have worked too, had Groupon not tried to scale their business to an unmanageable and unsupportable size.
www.wci.nyc

Dave I think you took my distaste for groupon as some sort of affront to you and that was not my intentions. I'm sure you run your business very well and can do basic math and would never fall for fear marketing. Have a very merry Christmas :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT