SkydiveMonkey

Which part of the dive do you enjoy more?

exits have got to be the best part....when i freefly i end up doing some wild ass summersault out the door and get stable into a sit or something....PURE FUN!!!

still, the next favorite part for me is a stable open canopy above 2,000'.

blue ones!

You're right, the exit is fantastic. I'd call it a tie between that and breakoff. Both are so 3D and seem to me to happen in slow-motion. Hectic slow-motion if that's possible. :-)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Freefall, Freefly, whatever. Seems like a good waste of Canopy time to me! Heck, it's being the master of your canopy that will let you walk away safely and make more jumps. But who knows, maybe everyone here has already learned everything there is to know ;)
Exits are Way cool, I settle the two by pulling high.

S. Smith

"Dear Boss,
You suck, works sucks, If you need, i'll be at the DZ"

=========Shaun ==========

Until about a month ago I would have said hands down the freefall was the best part. Whether it was a sitfly jump, a tracking dive, or an RW formation, after it was over seemed to be a let down for me.

Now I have to say that it's all great! Great freefall, then bumping some endcells while flying towards the horizon, and then tuggin on the front risers for landing.... :ph34r: Bliss

T.S.S # 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you all kidding me??!!!! Maybe I’m a freak but from A to Z this is the best thing I’ve found to do on the planet. Is there really a best part?

I start getting worked up the second I wake up on a day I’m going to the DZ. Once I’m actually in the car it’s an impossible chore to keep it under the speed limit especially the closer I get. Once there and manifested the joy is taken to the next level each time hearing 15, 10, 5, & NOW calls!! The ride up is great too. Seeing all your friends faces light up as we constantly are glancing at our altimeters and seeing the tense, nervous faces of the tandems as we begin to hoot and holler!

The blast of air from the door, the hanging out, the letting go, the hill, the fall (any style you want), the sight of a good open canopy, the smooth ride, the soft landing (slow or fast), the packing, and doing it again and again and again... All of that and then finally having a few beers around the bon fire at the end of the night with my brothers and sisters of the sky. Isn’t all of that the best part?

I actually think the best part begins when you leave the DZ at night and you begin day dreaming about the next time you’ll jump and begin counting down the minutes! B|

Peace, Love, Fast Jumps, Soft Landings, & Cold Beer
Dave

"Hey listen dude, if you're into playin' it close that's cool, but we're talkin' major malfunction here!"
Truman Sparks

Dave

"Hey listen dude, if you're into playin' it close that's cool, but we're talkin' major malfunction here!"
Truman Sparks

That's a cool post, except that I don't think you're referring to the act of packing the parachute itself, unless of course the skydive itself is just an excuse to pack.:D

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I agree with everyone that says exits are the best. I've also discovered that yelling as you exit makes it so much cooler, for you and the other jumpers.

also, does anybody else notice their pulse racing when they start thinking about their exits?

MB 3528, RB 1182

this one is for Katiebear21:

i voted for both, but what i like the most about the dive, allthough it doesn't fit right in, is to be on a load full of old skydivers who fart a lot, and to be the one who is the 1st to fart on that load, but not only the 1st fart, also the stinkiest of them all (one of those you can see, and even when sitting in the tail of the PC-6 it reaches the pilot)!!!! :P;)B|

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

For me it has to be flying my canopy.
Theres nothing better, I wish I could be under canopy at 1500ft with my slider behind my neck, my chest strap loosened and my toogles in my hands.
Nohing compares to flying my velocity, a long carving turn and planeing out just inches above the ground doing 50mph+.
Its the best feeling out there.

Gary Harbird :)

also, does anybody else notice their pulse racing when they start thinking about their exits?

Hell yeah. In fact I'm giggling and jamming (bobbing head up and down from unrestrainable excitement, also known as "the happy dance") just thinking about the great moment. That split-split second of total determination and wonder makes life bright. It's like an orgasm, but less messy and somewhat more elegant...and can be done with half a dozen total strangers without risk of diseases.....:o

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Awesome thread.

I'd def say exiting is the best part of the whole awesome deal. Break off is a blast too. I like the yank of the canopy and feet swinging under me. The canopy ride for me, not as much. More stress than fun, looking out for others and I don't turbulence still freaks me out but it's all worth it for those exits! And the rush of cold air when the door opens and walking towards the door, seeing the plane fly away kicks ass. Fuck I wish it wasn't so damn cold here.

For me it's all about the freefall - exit to opening, no matter what I'm doing. The canopy is just a necessary evil that makes the freefall repeatable.;)

And hoping you make it back without a midair collision with someone else.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

For me it's all about the freefall - exit to opening, no matter what I'm doing. The canopy is just a necessary evil that makes the freefall repeatable.;)

You said it for me! I'd add the exit, too. Solo or bigway, doesn't matter....those moments of anticipation and then the blast through the air. Awesome for me.

Fuck me then I have to ride this piece of cloth to the ground without bustin' myself up. Ewwwww.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Canopy ride for now, but that may change if (or hopefully, when) I get used to exiting the plane. Currently those first few seconds are Yaaah! What the $^C* did I just do?! moments.:$

+1 million.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I love it all.... but strangly I dig the prep on the aircraft with my good friends, there is an interesting "brotherhood" of people going up (even the tandems are part of it)... visualiztion...hand jive and the commitment to jump... I'm excited just thinking about it.
Hurling myself out of a skyvan in complete relaxation is very cool too. Man I dig sydiving. B|

Fear is the thief of dreams.....

This poll may give us an insight into canopy related accidents.

Only 13% (currently) of people express a preference for the canopy ride. Extrapolating this, it could mean that only that fraction of the population would be happy to do a significant number of canopy focused jumps (and I'm not talking about a sunset cross-country with a beer here).

This lack of a canopy focus combined with a canopy culture of small-is-cool is putting lives at risk.

I realize that this post does not offer any solutions, I am merely trying to interpret the limited data this thread offers.

I really like the canopy work. Short term I want to be much more consistant on my canopy work, patterns and landings. Mid term goal is to try some CReW work but long term I want to get my PRO. That really sounds like a hoot!:)

FWIW, my hat's off to you.

(Not to be confused with playing with myself under canopy):P

You say that like you are the only one that has ever thought of it.
:D:D:D:):$
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239