KollegeKay

Gear Checks in the plane

I am a newly licensed skydiver, heck, I have yet to make my first licensed jump... I was just curious how to go about gear checks away from my home DZ and with a load of unknown skydivers... (technically not strangers because we will be getting real close together in the plane ;))

===========
Are people generally willing to give others a gear check when asked? Or should checking my own gear be sufficient now that I am licensed?
OR
Do you give people you do not even know a gear check when they ask in the plane?
===========

Since it is more of a comfort thing for me, is this something I should figure out before getting on a load, regardless if I am doing a group dive or solo?

Thanks for input. (I know, total newb question). :)
P.S. Looking for a ride to Midwest on Sunday to make my first jump... :D included! ;) B| :P

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

First of all.... you should have a gear check prior to boarding, from yourself, and from another jumper. Secondly, Nobody will think less of you for asking for a gear check, and if they do then fuck em, they're an asshat. In fact, others would prolly think a little better of you for not endangering yourself or others by getting one.

I think it's a good idea to give yourself a gear check, regardless of whether or not you plan on getting one from someone else. As you get more experience, your reliance on someone else will diminish, but I'd be hesitant to say it will completely go away.

Why are you boarding a plane with the intent of hurling yourself at the planet, unless you KNOW you and your gear is ready to do so? ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

The best way to get a gear check is just to ask. You always want to check your own gear, and operate is if you are on your own, but beyond that, two sets of eyes are better than one.

Note that I said two sets of eyes, not two sets of hands. Not everyone is qualified or trained to handle your gear. Each rig is unique, and the way you pack it may be unique, so if you're asking for a visual gear check, you could ask just about any licensed jumper on a load.

When it comes to putting hands on your gear, that's another story. Your main pin flap will need to be opened in order to check you pin, and that's a job best reserved for a 'known' person. If you're not at your home DZ, look for an instructor or other DZ staff member, and have them point out a qualified jumper on the load who can handle your gear.

Don't get me wrong, many, many jumpers know how to open a pin cover, check the pin, and properly close it, but the problem is that some of those who don't, aren't aware that thety don't know. They may be doing it improperly, and not realizing that they are making a mistake. The way to avoid this it to get a 'referral' from an instructor (guys wearing tandem rigs are generally instructors, as are people dealing with students) or a DZ staff member. They'll know who you can trust to touch your gear (or more importantly, who should not be touching your gear).

If you are away from your home DZ, you may find yourself getting together with other visiting jumpers who you end up making mulitple jumps with. In that case, you can take a minture between jumps, and ask one of your new friends to be your 'buddy'. You can then proceed to brief them on the proper way to check your rig (using your actual rig to show them hands-on how it's done) and have them brief you on their rig. Now the two of you can count on each other to do a proper gear check.

Thanks for the information.

Quick clarification, I always gear check myself - it has been ingrained throughout the AFF training I received. (I might be obsessive checking my handles,) Rather be safe than sorry!

Again, thanks for the information! :)
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

I don't ask for them, and won't let no one else touch my container, or reserve flap. I take care of all of that. However, having said that, only if someone request of me a pin check, I'll do it, no other way. I remember when I was still on student status, my jump master (C.M) had some squirrell raised his main pin flap, he slapped the shit out of the responseable party, that was fairly humerous, at least I thought so!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

>Are people generally willing to give others a gear check when asked?

Generally, yes. It's best to know the person before asking them (just so you know they're not a complete nincompoop) but 99.9% of skydivers out there will give you a competent gear check.

>Or should checking my own gear be sufficient now that I am licensed?

Yes. But a second pair of eyes can help.

>Do you give people you do not even know a gear check when they ask in the plane?

Generally yes.

Two warnings:

1) Do not let other people mess with your gear without them asking you first. Make sure you know what they are doing before they do something bad (like stuffing your PC in farther than you like it.)

2) Never get a gear check, or give someone else a gear check, when the door is open.

I had a rather bumpy take off in a PAC-750 that had me all over the back of the plane (yes, seatbelted in). I felt my container get caught up on something and it didn't 'feel' right. I turned around and asked an experienced jumper to give me a pin check, well, my main was now sitting in between my feet at 1000'.

Another time I was going up and as I usually do, I visually checked peoples gear on the ride up... Turned out this time, a girl sitting right in front of me misrouted her chest strap, I got real big eyed and had someone else hold my camera helmet, pulled on her chest strap and showed her it came right out, then fixed it. She didn't ask for a gear check, but I'm glad that I caught it. (ETA: She always asks ME for a gear check if I'm around now)

Gear checks save lives. I agree 100% with what Dave said, find someone competent to give you one. At this point in your progression, you might even get a couple extra tips from an experienced instructor, rigger or up-jumper.

I'll give a gear check to any students I see getting on the load, anyone that asks and I'll point out anything that doesn't look right on up-jumpers gear and ask if I could check/fix it.

FWIW, 99% of the time, I do my own gear checks, before donning the rig, as I'm getting ready to walk to the plane, and atleast a few times in the plane. I even reach back and feel my main flap is closed and pin is fully seated in the loop. If I'm feeling like something isn't right, I ask someone around for a gear check, but only the people I know and trust to do it correctly.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Or should checking my own gear be sufficient now that I am licensed?

Yes. But a second pair of eyes can help.

>Do you give people you do not even know a gear check when they ask in the plane?

Generally yes.

Two warnings:

1) Do not let other people mess with your gear without them asking you first. Make sure you know what they are doing before they do something bad (like stuffing your PC in farther than you like it.)

2) Never get a gear check, or give someone else a gear check, when the door is open.

Try this, Ask a competent Up-jumper to give you a gear check. And, ask them to explain what they're doing and why. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

in reply to "I am a newly licensed skydiver, heck, I have yet to make my first licensed jump... I was just curious how to go about gear checks away from my home DZ and with a load of unknown skydivers... "

Welcome :)
You're hitting the nail on the head right from the start.
In an ideal skydiving environment, we are all giving each other gear checks, all the time.....at least while we're actually jumping/packing/gearing up etc .

I'd just like to add that if you ever give a gear check, or pick up on something that needs attention on some one elses gear , a bit of ettiquette applies.

Most experienced skydivers will want to be told immediately, before you mess with their gear, or run around telling everyone else.
If you see a student-gear issue tell the student and/or their instructor.
Just calmly inform them that something needs their attention. If they want more of your help they will ask for it.
eg If you see a flap loose, tell the person , don't just try and put it back, involve the wearer in the process.
They'll appreciate your good manners.

Try this, Ask a competent Up-jumper to give you a gear check. And, ask them to explain what they're doing and why. :)

...and if they miss, "Checking bridle routing"....smack 'em.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

involve the wearer in the process.
They'll appreciate your good manners.

Especially true for youngsters:
If you find something out of whack, point it out and then let/make the jumper fix it whenever possible. It reinforces learning.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

At the DZ I use in the U.K it's mandatory to have a gear check before boarding (and initialed on the manifest sheet!).

That said, I also look around the plane during the climb (what else is the to do?) and have found one lady with a mis-routed chest strap - not locked (not sure why I was looking at her chest:$) - anyway that was missed on the initial gear check and could have been be nasty if she had left the plane like that.

I asked her and her jump mate to look at it and fix it.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

so when someone asks for a gear check, what do you inspect? what do you look at?
And I do look at other peoples gear when I am on a ride up.

From what I learned in AFF it's the 3 rings, 3 handles the straps,pin check and color for the collapsible pilot.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo