DanneB

Short, good or bad?

Hey there, i have signed up for my first Aff course for april.
My question is, im 24yo, 163cm/~60kg. Is my smallness an disadvantage or an advantage for skydiving? my goal is to go for a wingsuit, will i loose or gain lift?
My question appeared after i read what Jokke Sommer said "(Keep in mind that I weigh 58 kg, which does help for a quick start)".
So he's getting good exits since he's pretty lightweight and doesnt require as much speed?

In my head a taller and slim person would gain more lift since he's suit is bigger and catches more air..
AFF course starting in April, waiting...

For wingsuiting, it's better to be tall and slim. But I wouldn't worry about that just yet :)

that's good news for me ^.^ 6'2" 155lbs I cant wait for jump 200!

Is there anything that you wing suit jumpers wish you worked more on before you got into a wing suit?

edit: bad spelling~
Cheers

Jon W

For wingsuiting, it's better to be tall and slim. But I wouldn't worry about that just yet :)

that's good news for me ^.^ 6'2" 155lbs I cant wait for jump 200!

Is there anything that you wing suit jumpers wish you worked more on before you got into a wing suit?

edit: bad spelling~

Lots to work on, but you'll want to learn to crawl before you worry about flying. ;)
Let your instructors guide you; internet information is fun to look at, yet you'll grow more rapidly and easily with your instructors showing you the way vs anonymous (and often inaccurate) information from the web.

Remember... Death in free fall above pull altitude is uncommon; death under a perfect canopy is all too common. Regardless of discipline (specialty), we each need to learn to fly our canopy safely!

Time spent mastering canopy flight, particularly SLOW flight will pay off when you least expect it to!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

short is OK, but if you're short and weigh not a lot...there is a temptation to get a very small canopy (it is afterall the same wingloading as your 200lb friend!). However, small canopies have shorter lines and the turns are more aggressive because of this...they dont scale linearly. So you may need to be more conservative with wingloading compared to larger friends with similar jump numbers.

60 kg isn't that light, though it is lighter than the average skydiver.
I was 58kg when I started out (1.72m). I had a little issue with some coaches that I floated above, but at least they never made me wear weights early on. I just had to learn to arch more, to fall a little bit faster. You'll likely want a tight-ish and smooth jumpsuit when you buy your own, but like i said, 60kg is no big deal.

The 1.63m is another issue though, as it can be hard to find a comfortable 2nd hand rig with both a sensible size main canopy and a sensible size reserve canopy in it.
Don't get suckered into buying a too small reserve canopy, that's the main issue I see with smaller jumpers.

But all that's for (much) later on.

For now, the instructors will take care of you so no worries ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks, great to hear. I will start of with a tracking suit pretty early i guess, and gather more gear during the summer.
If i get hooked like everyone seems to be ill probably get my own parachute pretty early, maybe a new rig if that would fit my shortness much better.
Yeah your right, i will learn by doing and hanging out by the dz. Just cant wait arghh..! :)
AFF course starting in April, waiting...