boyfalldown

T-6 Texan

Hop out onto a wing, and have him roll it in the direction of that wing. Hang on until he gets 1/4 of the way through the roll and drop off.

If you leave from the top of a barrell roll, the leading wing will be swinging back under the plane as you leave. If you try it that way, and have any delay dropping out of the cockpit, you may have a 'problem'.

Keep in mind that all the inverted exits from a Pitts are done from sustained inverted flight, not in the middle of a manuver.

Ive done a couple of two-ways from them never a solo exit though. I was first in a squatted on the floor The second guy got in over me to altitude. He then crawled back down on the wing facing aft . Then I got up with a foot on either side of the canopy tracks then a hop to the left easily clearing the left horizontal stabilizer as my pin man dove to me for the pin . The pilot only gave us 3500 so it was quick. It was in 1969 at Oxford Mi. at Louie Schrodrer's DZ

I jumped one once a few years ago. The pilot took the plane up to 4500' and then nosedived the plane and did an inverted roll at 160 knots. She (the pilot) told me to stand sideways in the seat prior to beginning the roll and that I would fall out when the plane was inverted. WRONG!!! I got sucked out about 3/4 of the way into the roll, my arm hit the plane's canopy and my leg hit the sit of the plane on exit and I got LOTS of bruises. But that was not the worst part...I hit other unknown parts of the plane and in the video (she had a camera mounted to the tail), I passed right over the camera!! Actually, I felt like I was a pinball in a pinball machine. Fortunately for me and for the pilot, I did not hit the tail. I lived to tell about it so it was a great jump!

However, I do not recommend standing sideways in the seat to exit. If I were to do it again (and I'm not sure I would), I would stand facing the front of the plane to avoid lots of bruises and I would think that you would probably get a cleaner exit away from the plane. I don't know, though. I'm just guessing. Just remember that if the plane is in an inverted dive, the tail is above you.

Let us know if you jump a T-6. I'm curious to know your exit and how it went.

Yeah, I jumped one at Elsinore back in the early '70s.

I agree with the comment about an uncomfortable ride to altitude; I was sharing the rear cockpit with a wuffo by squating on the floor. Fortunately, it was a short ride to altitude; the pilot had promised me 3,000 feet, but he forgot the "above ground level" part. (Let's see, Elsinore is about 1,300 msl and his alti read about 2,900 msl, so, hhmmmm...)

As to the exit, I just rolled the canopy back, put one foot on the right rail, and did a STRONG exit out to the side to clear the horizontal tail.

It worked just fine and I lived to tell the tale. (I guess I didn't need that death-grip on my reserve handle, which was 'just in case' I did hit the tail. Ha ha.)

Hi b-f-d,
Get a copy of the Aug 1966 edition of Lyle Camerons' old Rag,"Sky Diver." The front cover says it all!! The article on Paragator Land shows Jimmy Godwin and Skeet White exiting by kneeling down just at the leading edge of the wing, working their way out to the tip and "leaning over and going under the wing tip!!!" Jeff Russell had some 8mm movies of the action he showed us back when at a Southland Skydivers meeting. "It don't get much better!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Never jumped out of one but a transit jumper asked me to drop him (about 1976). When I rolled it over he fell out. I heard a bang and found out when I landed it was actually his shin hitting the canopy. Didn't hurt him permanently but he said it was the worst pain he ever had in his life. I believe him.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Damn my local library only has Sky Diver Back to June 1969. Kid just looked at me funny when I asked for microphish... I'm seriously impressed that you remember that. I tried the leading edge rollover exit on a Grumman Agcat recently and chickened out. Walked to the back of the wing and left like a normal person. Got to love a plane that slows to 45 knotts.

Jim

Hi b-f-d,
If I had a scanner I'd copy and send you photos of "MY" aug 1966 issue of "Sky Diver!" Perhaps some old fart out there has the issue and the puter tools to do the job?? Unfortunately, Jim Godwim passed some years ago, don't know about Skeet White?? Perhaps some old farts from Paragator Land have some photos. Perhaps an offer of some "Beer!!" will loosen their memories!!!!??
PS. Lyle Cameron Jr. still resides at the old homestead in So. Cal and Skydives with Air Trash at PVA. Last I talked to him, he still has the old SkyDiver Mag archives from his dad.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

One of may favorite "specialty" ac jumps! Got to jump one during Bike Week in Sturgis! All the pilot was worried about was scratching his new paint job!
No loop or barrel roll to get out, I had to climb out which wasnt easy. Ultimately I made my way to the wing and just rolled off.
Climbing out backwards put my rig exposed in front of the tail and above the fuselage for quite sometime (see exit shot), so I stuffed my handle deep into the spandex, and dug it out in freefall.
The pilot asked if I cold close the canopy after getting out, I was able to but it was very difficult getting out on the wing. Luckily I am 6' 1" so I was able to reach from the black step at the P to the wing. I found I had to hug the fuselage to keep from getting blown off. Ultimately I squatted with my left shoulder against the fuselage looking at the tail. We had him in a slight dive to bring the tail up and I just rolled off at a 45 angle to the tail. I felt staying low and small was the best way. The T6 made it to my riskiest specialty jumps list thats for sure.

Ill never forget the view while backtracking away, then rolling over to see 600,000 bikers below!

I believe the bullets and casings I dug out the Yuma desert were from planes like the T6. Was told they used it for training during the war, dug several different sizes out. Pretty cool, you could follow the flight lines when digging them up.

still want blimp jump!:(

Its a good one to log
enjoy and be safe!

YES IT WAS 1966!!! I AM THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE COVER PICTURE AND MY FATHER WAS THE T-6 PILOT. JIMMY GODWIN CRAWLED OUT THE LEFT WING OF THE T-6 AND I SNAPPED A PICTURE JUST AS HE DOVE OVER THE FRONT EDGE! The rear controls had been removed and could fit three jumpers. I USEDTO SIT IN THE BACK AND TAKE PICTURES AND OFTEN "SKEET" WHITE WOULD WRESTLE SOME OTHER JUMPER OUT THE PLANE - IT WAS A KISSIMMEE REDNECK SPORT! [[[If I had a scanner I'd copy and send you photos of "MY" aug 1966 issue of "Sky Diver!" Perhaps some old fart out there has the issue and the puter tools to do the job?? Unfortunately, Jim Godwim passed some years ago, don't know about Skeet White?? Perhaps some old farts from Paragator Land have some photos. Perhaps an offer of some "Beer!!" will loosen their memories!!!!??
PS. Lyle Cameron Jr. still resides at the old homestead in So. Cal and Skydives with Air Trash at PVA. Last I talked to him, he still has the old SkyDiver Mag archives from his dad.