mofo554

Leaving the sport

Thats great to hear about florida, but I was talking about the "Golden State"....

As far as what makes a real dropzone? OK lets get this straight so I don't offend anybody anymore!

SanDiego, Taft (where I'm from), Santa Barbera ect. are all dropzones.

Perris is what I would call a Skydive Facility.
It is a world class dropzone.

What makes it world class? People come from all over the world just to jump at Perris. They are constantly turning loads on at least 2 otters on weekdays. I know not always but you get the idea.....

You get square1, a resturant, pool, wind tunnel, special events all the time, you get to see some of the best skydivers in the world.

Now hold on, I didn't mean all the good skydivers go to Perris, I just found that a higher ratio of bad ass swoopers, freeflyers and 100-way groups jump out of there. I like to be around that.

However I miss the small dropzone "vibe" sometimes so I like head out to the stix wherever that may be and
sip up the culture!

Now I'm not a spokesman for Perris...I'm just trying to let you know I love you all!! .......even though people from Perris get called Parasites when they visit other dropzones...It's OK, spread the love!

scott

Thats great to hear about florida, but I was talking about the "Golden State"...

Oh sorry. I thought these forums were for everybody, not just for those who live in California.

btw, you can find gear stores other than at Perris and Elsinore in California too. Davis and Byron come to mind...

.......even though people from Perris get called Parasites when they visit other dropzones...It's OK, spread the love!

scott

I've never called people from Perris Parasites. I've been to Perris a few times for large events and they have the best staff ever. With all the chaos that was going on, I never saw anyone lose their cool, or get rude with anyone. The local jumpers that I had the pleasure of meeting there were super nice and friendly. I would never refer to them as parasites.

I don't think most people would disagree with you that Perris is a first class dropzone if they have ever been there. IMO, its the best in the country, but that's just MY opinion, and I have not been to every dz.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

It is a world class dropzone.

What makes it world class? People come from all over the world just to jump at Perris.

I would call that a destination Drop Zone.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

We do order the cypres' though as they are needed.

Wow Judy... and you still jump there?;)

yep, and we only have the kingair a few times a month during the summer (simply because we can't keep up with it) otherwise we are jumping the measley Cessna 195 (a.ka. the chuck wagon). Oh will I ever make it?;):D

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Even at our backwards dz. you can buy a protrack right off the shelf, or an altimeter or a few other things. We do order the cypres' though as they are needed.

Same at our little scenic DZ north of Seattle. The cypres and other high dollar items are not in stock usually but can be had overnight. I think that applies to all the small DZ now. At least the ones I have been too recently.

Jeanne

I can't think of one other place (except maybe Elsinore) where you can just walk into a gear shop....
buy a brand new cypres and Protrack off the shelf. Square one is right there.

Having a stocked gear shop is nice, but how often does one buy a ProTrack and/or a Cypres? Don't get me wrong. Having DZs like Perris, Eloy and the big FL DZs is nice and if you're lucky enough to jump at one of these DZs, then all the power to you. But snooty "I jump at so and so place, so I'm better than you" attitudes is what ticks people off. There are enough egos in this sport, DZ egos don't help our cause. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I certainly don't think I'm better than most skydivers....
I only have 112 jumps. I thought I made that clear in my last post. This whole thread started when I complained about not being able to jump at a smaller drop zone.

People seemed to lash out at me and call me a whiner because they thought my attitude was being unresonable.

I can say yes or no to that.....but the fact remains..
being at Perris or any other Major DZ gives you a perspective that you can't get at a small DZ.

My jaw dropped the first time I visited Perris (after AAWest closed in March). I had never seen a DZ operate at that level. You can learn a lot from the many resident Skygods that jump there.

scott

Ohh and about the turbine controversy....yes...true...I will not jump at a dropzone that does not have turbines. Like I said...Perris has spoiled me rotten.

scott

Dude, launching a 4-way off a 182 by climbing out backwards and sitting in the 'crotch' is awesome. Climbing way out on the strut and geeking the tandems is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the big planes (Skyvan is probably my favorite) but the c182 & c206 are still wicked fun to jump out of. It is soo great to see the tandems eyes get REAL big when you roll the door up on a 206 or 'bump' the door open on a 182. They can't get far enough away from the open door. I feel sorry for the fun jumps you'll miss by never jumping a poor old cessna.

I've done a couple of C-182 jumps! They were interesting to say the least. As long as we get to 12.5K it's cool!

The C-182 feels like a Go-Kart with wings! The inside is smaller than a car! When I was on student status, it felt crazy...when the door fliped open! crawling onto the strut!

I grew to enjoy it more when I got a smaller rig that made it easier to manuver out of the airplane!

scott

Perris does have all of the facilities but one place were it does come up short is having a nice turbine single or even a piston single for those rare few days when even Perris doesn't have enough jumpers to send an otter up. Its no fun waiting around with six other jumpers for the next walk on tandem.

Its been dicussed but a Porter ( too expensive due to rarity compared to another otter ). Or maybe a Caravan. The PAC will probably be very expensive
"new" purchase.

A couple of perfect for skydiving but privately owned 182s could be pressed into service but the last time that happened jumpers had to get naked. Shame.... shame I wasn't there to see the nakedness, but i heard there is video.:D

I've done a couple of C-182 jumps! They were interesting to say the least. As long as we get to 12.5K it's cool!

Sheesh...I probaly have at least 200 out of them all over... they are the most common at far too many DZ. I can also remember plenty of C-170 and C-180 tail draggers when I started. Think about how different the sport would be if the small Cessnas and their ability to haul just 4 people to altitude would be if a 3 place or 5 or 6 place aircraft would have been the norm.

I am 6'1" and my old sore knees preclude my fitting into one of them comfortably unless its behind the pilot. There are lots of fun things you can do with little airplanes... like being able to jump more when not as many people show up... or first load of the moring.. wind dummy load.... even hop and pop's(yes I am saying HOP AND POP.. I hate Hop and POP's till I get my Samurai)

A quick ride to a few thousand to get some air time.. is always better than sitting around waiting for a BIG plane to get a full load.... We get bumped off the C-182 frequently when there are tandems. Two TM and passengers = a full plane but if there is an odd number...try jumping with Tandems... you gotta love the looks on their faces...especially with you hanging off the strut...as they leave the airplane... OR dive out after them.. practice your diving skills. The point is.. if its all you got.. make do and have fun.

Jeanne

Or maybe a Caravan. The PAC will probably be very expensive
"new" purchase.

Actualy as a comparison to the Caravan, it will ve very affordable. Les expensive to operate as well. I beliver the "Break even" load in the PAC is between 4 and 5 jumpers.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Some of the bigger DZs are Eloy in arizona, perris and elsinore in so cali, many in florida, Deland comes to mind. Come on florida skydivers fess up whats the dealio?
Skydive chicago, the ranch in new york.
Epuria brava in spain, vichy , lapalisse, Gap france.
Some of the european visitors I've talked to say some of these stand out but I'm not sure if its year around or just during boogies.
What do you consider big? Two turbine aircraft? Three? four plus a helicopter?
Most have websites so you can check on available services and other facilities like indoor packing and bunk house options.

12.5 in a 182? Cute. Try 10.5-11....on a really good day.

Like Amazon, I have over 200 jumps from 182's, 205/6's and one thing about a small Cessna that a turbine won't give you is the exit experience. If you can chunk a 4-way out of a Cessna you can lauch from anything.

Those Cessna's will always be the backbone workhorse of skydiving.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™