mofo554

Leaving the sport

Wendy,
Thank God for parents like you who have their priorities straight! Good for you to put your child first and skydiving second.
I laid off for awhile myself but my reasons weren't as noble. I'm back now too, so BLUE SKIES!
Mack The Knife
"IT IS SAID THAT THE WARRIOR'S IS THE TWOFOLD WAY OF PEN AND SWORD, AND HE SHOULD HAVE A TASTE FOR BOTH WAYS." MIYAMOTO MUSASHI, A BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

These are the requirements from the BPA operations manual.

Experience. He/she has at least 100 hours as Pilot in Command (PIC) of aeroplanes if aeroplanes are to be flown by the applicant (except in the case of FAI ‘C’ Certificate (Red) parachutists where the requirement is 75 hours PIC in each case). In addition the following is also required:-

a. Less than 150 hours PIC - 10 hours on type
b. 150 - 250 hours PIC - 5 hours on type
c. Over 250 hours PIC -

With the following training.
He/she has received at least one hour of ground instruction on parachute dropping techniques, standard procedures and emergency procedures
given by at least a BPA Category System Instructor, Team Leader or BPA Pilot Examiner and has studied the BPA Pilot’s Manual

Tests.
a. Has flown at least three sorties (accompanied and supervised by a BPA Pilot Examiner) as PIC (under supervision) on the type* of aircraft to be used and to include at least one sortie from which a live drop of one or more Experienced Parachutists is carried out.

These are the requirements from the BPA operations manual.

Experience. He/she has at least 100 hours as Pilot in Command (PIC) of aeroplanes if aeroplanes are to be flown by the applicant (except in the case of FAI ‘C’ Certificate (Red) parachutists where the requirement is 75 hours PIC in each case). In addition the following is also required:-

a. Less than 150 hours PIC - 10 hours on type
b. 150 - 250 hours PIC - 5 hours on type
c. Over 250 hours PIC -

With the following training.
He/she has received at least one hour of ground instruction on parachute dropping techniques, standard procedures and emergency procedures
given by at least a BPA Category System Instructor, Team Leader or BPA Pilot Examiner and has studied the BPA Pilot’s Manual

Tests.
a. Has flown at least three sorties (accompanied and supervised by a BPA Pilot Examiner) as PIC (under supervision) on the type* of aircraft to be used and to include at least one sortie from which a live drop of one or more Experienced Parachutists is carried out.

Does the CAA require BPA rules to be followed? The BPA has no statutory authority over pilots and pilot qualifications, does it, unless that authority is devolved to it by the CAA?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Neighhhh... thump, thump... neigh, thump, thump.

Dammit Bill, stop stealing my lines! :D

Hey, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. (Ask anyone doing webpages :D) I had made a reference to the dead horse before, your line is exactly perfect.

I was trying to re-focus on the topic, the social skills had been kicked enough to get a message.

Well.

Talk about thread drift.

We started with leaving the sport.
Then someone showed us why we would want to leave. (and we flogged your horse to death)
Now we're talking about pilots, and who rules them, and whether they get paid.

And I'm still not leaving the sport.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Does the CAA require BPA rules to be followed? The BPA has no statutory authority over pilots and pilot qualifications, does it, unless that authority is devolved to it by the CAA?

No. This is not a CAA thing. As far as I know the CAA have no minimums or requirements laid down in terms of hours and quals etc (but I may be wrong).

The regs above are from the BPA ops manual. The BPA ops manual has to be observed by all BPA Affiliated Drop Zones so it a requirement in that way.

Help me out here Jack Gramley. Tell this youngster how it is! How many days did we sit around Blue Skies and just B.S. around. The best people I have ever met in skydiving where at that DZ.

Dom,

You had to invite me into this, didn't you. Yep, we had some great times at Blue Skies! Here's a photo of Dom, Angie Gardner and Mike Kallian (right to left) killing time on one of the sofa's, waiting for the weather to clear.

Jack Gramley

Help me out here Jack Gramley. Tell this youngster how it is! How many days did we sit around Blue Skies and just B.S. around.

Oh yeah, the other thing we used to love to do was to abuse Dom. Can't remember what the event was, but Dom got his share of pies.

Jack Gramley

Oh wow! I haven't seen those in years! Seeing Angie brought a tears to my eyes. I remember that day and exactly what was going on when that pic was taken. That was right before I left Washington in 1996. Actually we had just got down from a jump and Mike and I where sharing our vast knowledge with her!:D Boy, we where the biggest skygod of all. What we had something like 300 jumps at that time at the most! That was our little "backwards" DZ. OUr home away from home with some of the best people in the world. OUR SKYDIVING FAMLIY! I miss her everyday! I must have blocked out the memory of the second one! I thought I had never been pied!;)
Dom

Why do people stop skydiving? Injuries, age, money? These are all factors...just curious to hear reasons you've heard...

Left once in 1983 because I didn't want to get sucked into being a skydiver with no other interests/skills/ambitions/goals. Another reason was the cost to compete, which I dearly loved.

Thinking about leaving again for some of the same reasons. It's hard when you love something so much but you just can't justify being away from family that much. I should have tried out for the Golden Knights when I was still in the military and had the chance.!

It's still hard to be a recreational jumper. Even at my age, I like to challenge myself. Been on scads of pickup 4-way teams but it doesn't do it for me. Can't afford the tunnel trips to compete like I want. Family situation won't allow it either. I love my wife and we're going to adopt a child next year. Hoping I can reach a happy medium with skydiving and life. Danged this conscience!

Matt, thanks so much for the comments. Maybe I am not alone in all this after all. :)

I took some time (years [:/]) away from the sport when my kids were young for some of the same reasons you listed above. Now my kids are older and I'm jumping more than ever. You don't have to give up skydiving, you’re allowed to take a break from time to time. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Since this thread was 'revived' I guess you could say, I'll add to it that it was egos and politics that made me want to leave. Was being paid to jump and quit. I'm tired of the way things were being run. And the egos, my god. Getting yelled at by S&TA for something so minor while they blatantly break rules that they help to make. Unbelievable how stuff works in this sport sometimes.
Hopefully a change in scenery - new dz - in the spring will help

You don't have to give up skydiving, you’re allowed to take a break from time to time. B|

So true. I'm on my "winter break" now. Can't wait for spring!

Same here...winter really sucks...!

I left the sport in 87...life simply got in the way...but the brain was always sort of connected to it still. A couple of years ago I started to get those very real dreams, I could hear the engine sound, smell the jet fuel, saw myself in the middle of the crowd entering the plane, then woke up and was mentally destroyed. Last May I decided I had to do it again...and now I am happy. Will carry on doing it as long as health and money allow it!

Blue skies
Uwe
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

-Leonardo da Vinci