mofo554

Leaving the sport

A recent post made me wonder: why do people leave the sport? Often, when looking at used gear in the classifieds, it will mention that the seller is leaving the sport. Why do people stop skydiving? Injuries, age, money? These are all factors...just curious to hear reasons you've heard...

Injuries, age, money?

No, no and no. For me it was; politics, attitudes, egos, lack of aircraft maintenance, and a generally poor safety attitude. I looked at the effort I was putting into it and the return I was getting out of it and all the hassels and decided to hang it up. So far no regrets.

Derek

No, no and no. For me it was; politics, attitudes, egos, lack of aircraft maintenance, and a generally poor safety attitude. I looked at the effort I was putting into it and the return I was getting out of it and all the hassels and decided to hang it up. So far no regrets.

Thats depressing... I am brand new and I love it, to read that kind of makes me depressed a bit.:|

Thats depressing... I am brand new and I love it, to read that kind of makes me depressed a bit.

I totally agree. I don't want to think about that either. Someday there will be a reason to quit, but for right now, I'm just going to enjoy it. Smile on!

Blue Skies,
Kelly

A recent post made me wonder: why do people leave the sport? Often, when looking at used gear in the classifieds, it will mention that the seller is leaving the sport. Why do people stop skydiving? Injuries, age, money? These are all factors...just curious to hear reasons you've heard...

Some people quit jumping when it finally dawns on them that they're a crater awaiting grid coordinates. Sometimse this involves getting hurt, sometimes it is a matter of a freebie close call.

Some people quit the moment they see their first fatality. All the bullshit about skydiving vs. driving to the airport evaporates at that moment, and they are never seen at a DZ again.

Some people have kids and don't feel that voluntarily adding the very real risk of the sport is worth it to them.

Some people either do it for a living or jump competitively, such that skydiving becomes synonymous with work. I know world champions who didn't feel like going for it again, and couldn't get back into the mode where it was simply for fun, and now do other things.

Some people get burned out on spending all their time at the DZ, and are leery of taking a moderate approach to something so intense.

Some people have a life that involves going to the DZ with a significant other, and when the relationship goes to hell they stop going to the DZ.

Some people are simply not cut out for this sport as a matter of temperament, and eventually conclude that they aren't having fun. This sport isn't for everybody.

I've heard more reasons, but these come to mind.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I quit for a long time. While I had a child, that really wasn't the reason.

My life just didn't have time to "do" skydiving right (i.e. at least one weekend a month), so I just didn't do it for awhile. My then-spouse had quit jumping, so support at home wasn't really there, and you only get the chance to be a parent and family for a set period. You can go back to skydiving, but you can't go back to when you should have spent more time with your kid when he was 4.

Worked for me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm like you Wendy,

Due to work I have 1 day a week I can jump which is Sunday, which is pretty dead for the DZs around me. So after being spoiled in TX, with doing bigways and really challenging jumps, I'm now stuck doing 2ways, cause there aren't any fun jumpers around. :( To me that is a waste of money. So now I rock climb, snowboard, and do other things i can do on my days off which are during the week.

Maybe someday if we move out of CO I'll start jumping again, as it is, right now, I'm debating about staying current enough to go to boogies or just sell my gear. (sell my gear is winning)
Fly it like you stole it!

You can go back to skydiving, but you can't go back to when you should have spent more time with your kid when he was 4.

I can't agree more with you. Same here, I quit for 10 years. Because we wanted to have a child, and I wanted to raise her. Now, whatever happens she will remember her Dad. I'm back and both my wife and daughter come to the DZ with me, every single time. They love it. My wife is more and more thinking about doing a tandem B|.

Yep there are many reasons for which people quit. I agree with Winsor, too many to be listed.

JM

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Injuries, age, money?

Derek

Wow Hooknswoop, ditto the above for me. The negatives finally outnumbered the positives that made it worth the hour and a half drive each way to the drop zone.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I have seen people quit other sports and loosing friends because of it. I don't know what it is that makes skydiving different. I have only started this season, but on my local DZ there are plenty of ex-jumpers who come by every now and then simply to soak up the atmosphere or grab a beer at the end of the day. They are welcomed with the same spirit as the poeple who are there every moment they can spare to jump. Sofar I have noticed very little of the macho-culture I was worried about finding. It makes it also understandable that people have less of a problem stopping, they are always welcome back.

It's like being part of a family, you might not see them for a long time, but you're always welcome home...

Injuries, age, money?

Derek

So you dont skydive anymore ?

Yes. I agree it is depressing to see someone leave the sport. For some reason it seems to be most depressing when someone is quitting becouse they just dont enjoy it anymore..

Somehow it seems to me that skydiving differs a lot from other sports in this aspect also : its strange to see so much people hanging out at Dropzones daily, even if they dont jump anymore or have even never jumped..(not including active skydivers family members)

I'm now stuck doing 2ways, cause there aren't any fun jumpers around. :( To me that is a waste of money.

When I was taking my B test the other day, I got upset because there were free fly questions on there. "Why in the hell would I need to know about free fly questions?" Someone said - "well, one morning you're going to wake up -maybe tomorrow, maybe in ten years - and belly flying just ain't gonna do it for you anymore"

After some thought - I disagree. The day that I don't get excited and jazzed to go up 2.5 miles and fall out right by myself on my belly is the day I'll quit. I think this sport is dangerous enough that if you don't give it that level of respect, it will bite you.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I haven't been around the sport all that long (started in July '02), so it's hard to say what will happen if I survive to be an old timer. But I can't for the life of me see myself quiting anytime soon. I enjoy many other activities (I'm currently very active with hockey and volleyball as well as skydiving but I also like anything to do with the mountains). But skydiving is what I look forward to every weekend.

For the time being, I am heeding the warnings from some about not working at a DZ (in terms of tandems, video and AFF) as supposedly once you start doing paid jumps, most (not all) people stop making fun jumps and I can't see myself ever not wanting to freefly with my friends.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've going on 8 years in the sport. I don't ever want to quit but I do slow down. Some years I make 300 jumps some years I made 150.

I enjoy skydiving. I don't like the politics or the organization that "governs" us, but I won't let them win.

I jump because I like to jump. Sometimes its a big-way or hardcore 4-way and sometimes it might be a solo or 2-way cause I just want to fall and sometimes its AFF or a coaching jump. I refuse to become a snob and only show up for the "big" airplane or when the "click" is going to be there.

As of right now, I don't plan on quitting. I love skydiving, and most of the people. Skydiving is becoming more commercialized and less of the club mentality and its sad but I will make the best of what I have for as long as I can.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

So you dont skydive anymore ?

Nope. If Skycat wants to go to a boogie or just go make a couple of jumps or something, I'll go, but otherwise, nope.

quitting becouse they just dont enjoy it anymore..

The actual jumping out of airplanes is still fun, it's the wading through all the other crap that finally outweighed the jumping.

Derek

I will say, coming back after a very long layoff, well, a lot of the other crap turns out to be optional if you're irregular and everyone has forgotten you :)
Me happy about that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The day that I don't get excited and jazzed to go up 2.5 miles and fall out right by myself on my belly is the day I'll quit. I think this sport is dangerous enough that if you don't give it that level of respect, it will bite you.

I don't understand why you would say something like this? You're open minded enough jump out of planes, why close your mind to different ways of flying?

Someone said - "well, one morning you're going to wake up -maybe tomorrow, maybe in ten years - and belly flying just ain't gonna do it for you anymore"

And not to totally hijack this thread, but belly-flying 'not doing it for you' is the short answer. The long answer is to explore all that interests you. If it doesn't interest you now, fine. But you're emphatically stating that it never will. Why not go with the flow and see where your passion takes you?

:S

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I haven't quit yet, and don't really plan to anytime soon, but I have taken breaks and there have been times when I've seriously considered selling my gear and moving on to other things.

Reasons? Lack of money, lack of time, lack of interest... I no longer have that burning desire to go to the dz just to fun jump every weekend if I'm not working toward a goal. I'd rather be doing something new or cool on every skydive instead of doing the same thing I've done a couple hundred times before.

I was getting close to quitting earlier this year.... and a wingsuit saved me. :)

You only have 65 jumps.

Trust me, you will get very sick of being belly to earth.
That is, unless you are interested in RW.

Tracking, 360's and back/front loops get very old.

If I want to relax, I go into a sit fly position because the view is a lot better, you can see the horizon better.
When you are belly to earth, all you see is the ground, I feel more in control in a sit fly position.

Stand up flying is cool because you go really fast.

Head down is what I'm working on right now, I'm getting better at it, it is very interesting because being able to do a good head down has made me much more stable when I do other manuvers.

I did a 6-way head down in Taft, CA last weekend. It was a mess but it was really cool to try somthing new.

There are so many different disciplines to try out!
Wingsuit, Base Jumping, Big Way Formations to name a few.....it's going to be a while before I can master all of these things.

Skydiving doesn't get boring......you get boring!

scott

It seems to me that skydiving is a lot like any other activity in that if you do the same thing over and over again you're gonna get bored. You need to be constantly doing new things and learning new stuff, and staying challenged, and the beauty of skydiving is that there aren't really any other activities in the world as utterly unnatural as that(humans weren't meant to fly, need proof? Watch the average[hell, the above average] student doing AFF)and because of that there is ALWAYS room to improve and new things to learn. You'll never be able to land as accurately and consistently as a bird, so heck, there's a challenge right there that'll keep you trying until the end of your days! I have seen some posts of people losing interest because they have no one to learn anything from anymore near them, and that's an understandable problem. If that ever happens to me, I think I'll take up instructing:)