capix

Best/cheapest place to get your license

Konitchiwa! Looking for a decent place in the U.S to get my license. Obviously price comes into play and I have seen a few places for around the $2500 mark. I understand that if you fail a course, you have to redo it so a place that maybe you can use one off your solo jumps instead of paying an additional jump? Also, this would be for February so the winter season would have to be taken into consideration. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This question might have been asked once or 50 times before. The search function is very useful.
:)

True, but

This person is also wanting to connect to a person. I bet they are looking for someone that they can feel comfortable with. It may be a something as simple as "I jump at X DZ and they're great". That may be the post that sends that 2-5K$ in that direction.

It will also be asked a couple of hundred times more.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Well i dont really care about connections and all of that as my job takes me all over the world. So in essence, I am not going to bee going to only 1 DZ, but rather every week will be somewhere else. So just want to get my license and then where work takes me I'll jump at whatever DZ is there. So of course price comes into play, but this skydive the farm looks ok from what I have researched so far....

WoooooHoooo!
You'll be happy with the Farm, I assure you.

We get people from all over the world coming here for training. You'll be made to feel right at home. We do have a good reputation for being a friendly DZ.

Don't let the pricing fool you though. You will get top-notch training here. Our classes are intentionally small so that you will get a lot of individual attention.

The equipment you will be jumping is good stuff and it is maintained by Chutingstar Rigging; C-star is one of the premier rigging lofts in the world.

We are more about the fun than the money...and that's important to both you and us.

Let us know when you are coming and we'll leave the light on for ya'.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well I shot you an email yesterday with a few questions but no onee ever got back to me...yet...

Talk to me here on DZ.com. You can talk through PM if you prefer.

Well i dont really care about connections and all of that as my job takes me all over the world. So in essence, I am not going to bee going to only 1 DZ, but rather every week will be somewhere else. So just want to get my license and then where work takes me I'll jump at whatever DZ is there. So of course price comes into play, but this skydive the farm looks ok from what I have researched so far....

I made the Farm my home dz for the past year. Andy who is popsjumper here will give you plenty of support - he is an AFF instructor and he doesn't follow beer rules but prefers coca-cola.

Hans is the DZO and if you have a schedule you want to get your license on then it is important to communicate with him. This is especially true if you are planning to jump during the week as while the plane goes up - it is not all day long.

Finally if you jump at the Farm expect to make many friends. You won't be isolated and jumping on your own unless you choose to.

WoooooHoooo!
You'll be happy with the Farm, I assure you.

We get people from all over the world coming here for training. You'll be made to feel right at home. We do have a good reputation for being a friendly DZ.

Don't let the pricing fool you though. You will get top-notch training here. Our classes are intentionally small so that you will get a lot of individual attention.

The equipment you will be jumping is good stuff and it is maintained by Chutingstar Rigging; C-star is one of the premier rigging lofts in the world.

We are more about the fun than the money...and that's important to both you and us.

Let us know when you are coming and we'll leave the light on for ya'.

+1000 to what Andy said...The Farm is awesome!! And Andy himself, is a fantastic wealth of knowledge!!
PHinz up!!! We are the people our parents warned us about!!

Pay up front and get a great deal at Deland....finish your last level and jump the rest of the day and your rig is rental free. Put money down on a rig and jump a rental without paying rental fees until you pay it off (within a reasonable amount of time, like 6 months). Not to mention you will jump from a Pac 750, Twin Otter and/or Skyvan.
Don't think you can beat this deal anywhere.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

OK, I'll go through here if thats ok. Is there a set date or time that I have to go? I mean, I will be flying in internationally and nothing is listed as to what dates you do this. It would be for sometime say Jan 20th- Feb 15th. Also, how long should I allocate to get the license with weather and all? Anything you can reply to would be helpful!!

that all depends, on how lucky you are weather wise, and how good/quickly you pick up on things. its POSSIBLE to do AFF in a day(probable, no. . .), or it could take you months of having to repeat levels. all depends on how you fly. but 3 or 4 good days of weather and you can get it knocked out. personally i wouldnt do more than 2 or 3 jumps a day its a lot to take in. but that was just my limit. ill let someone with way more experience than i address that further. . . .

all in all good luck and have fun! :)

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

About the weather...Mutumbo has it right. All of skydiving is at the mercy of the weather.

January here is typically our coldest month. February is better. And, of course March is better yet.

As far as when...
Whenever you want! We're here all week and will accommodate you on whatever it takes. Come when you like, leave when you like. We'll do your training at your convenience.

We're a pretty laid-back group here. You won't find a set schedule such as a military group might have. We operate by what YOU want and can do.

Time on site....
Realistically, I'd plan on at least 2 weeks to get through AFF and to an A-license. Yes, we've had A-license in a week...but that was a solid week of perfect weather with very physically fit students on a go-go-go schedule. Not good in my opinion.

25 jumps spread over 10 days of good weather is not uncommon.

Stamina is a key issue. How's your health? Could you physically do 5 jumps a day? We don't know. In reality, the biggest part is the mental exhaustion.

Your AFF is not physically hard. It's mentally tough.

In a nutshell...
-Come when it's convenient for you. We do training whenever you want it. Weather-wise, February is better than January (cold), March better yet.
-Allocate 2-3 days for AFF only and another week or so for A license. Two weeks total would be good without pushing it and doing it at a reasonable pace.

About the weather...Mutumbo has it right. All of skydiving is at the mercy of the weather.

January here is typically our coldest month. February is better. And, of course March is better yet.

As far as when...
Whenever you want! We're here all week and will accommodate you on whatever it takes. Come when you like, leave when you like. We'll do your training at your convenience.

We're a pretty laid-back group here. You won't find a set schedule such as a military group might have. We operate by what YOU want and can do.

Time on site....
Realistically, I'd plan on at least 2 weeks to get through AFF and to an A-license. Yes, we've had A-license in a week...but that was a solid week of perfect weather with very physically fit students on a go-go-go schedule. Not good in my opinion.

25 jumps spread over 10 days of good weather is not uncommon.

Stamina is a key issue. How's your health? Could you physically do 5 jumps a day? We don't know. In reality, the biggest part is the mental exhaustion.

Your AFF is not physically hard. It's mentally tough.

In a nutshell...
-Come when it's convenient for you. We do training whenever you want it. Weather-wise, February is better than January (cold), March better yet.
-Allocate 2-3 days for AFF only and another week or so for A license. Two weeks total would be good without pushing it and doing it at a reasonable pace.

see....someone way more experienced ;) lol
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Wow, thanks for detailed reply. I got a reply on my personal email from Hans so will call up once the U.S opens (Im on the other side of the world!). I can pull 14 days I think. While I am it asking questions, how long between jumps is sufficient so you do not have to do a refresher course? I know safety is paramount, but where work sends me sometimes I wont have time. I dont stay in one place, so dont have the luxury of being in one DZ where you can call home. 2 months maybe?
I guess I also have to rent a car right to get out at night and chill out right? Are there any facilities to BBQ on a open grill when you camp? I am bush bashing this and want to be completely with nature!
In reply, I am very fit and my body is able to keep up, but as you said its more mental. Well, I did do ok in school...so maybe thats a bonus!!

Cheers mate!

The USPA has rules on currency. I don't remember if it is 30 or 60 days with an A license. But you will want to try and jump at least once a month. I think as a nomad with low jump numbers dz's would treat you with caution. So you may find that the currency requirements are strictly encforced.

Where are you going to the US from?

You can BBQ at the farm. People tend to go out quite alot as a group
on the weekends when more is happening. I used a disposable BBQ.

Edit to add. Get a copy of the SIM from chutingstar as soon as you arrive. It will allow you to study and make notes each day. You can dowload it free but a printed copy if best. Work with Andy on planning out your A requirements as soon as you finish AFF. Learning to skydive without a SIM is like going to biblestudy without a bible
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

While I am it asking questions, how long between jumps is sufficient so you do not have to do a refresher course? I know safety is paramount, but where work sends me sometimes I wont have time. I dont stay in one place, so dont have the luxury of being in one DZ where you can call home. 2 months maybe?

USPA has a 30-day rule for students:

For Students (pre-licensed jumpers):

"Students who have not jumped within the preceding
30 days should make at least one jump under the
direct supervision of an appropriately rated
USPA Instructor."

We call it "currency". You should be current in your jumping by jumping regularly. For students, that "regularity" is 30 days. If you go beyond that, you'll have to do a "recurrency" jump, as indicated.

Not a big deal except that you will most likely have to pay for the instructor to take you out on your recurrency jump.

For A Licensed jumpers:

"USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall within 60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups."

Again, not a big deal except for cost to you.

I guess I also have to rent a car right to get out at night and chill out right?

Not necessarily but it's always good to have your own transportation and I'd recommend it.

Are there any facilities to BBQ on a open grill when you camp? I am bush bashing this and want to be completely with nature!

Yes. We have all that...free camping, free bunkhouse, free couches in the hangar....55 acres of grass if you prefer to really rough it.
:D:D

We also have showers and all that for when you get beyond the point of being able to stand your own stink.
:D:D

Suggestions:

I would suggest that you get a head start on things. The USPA puts out a book called the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM). It is our skydiving bible. It has everything you need to know in there.

http://www.uspa.org

You can buy a hard copy or download a soft copy from the USPA,org website (blue button, top right "SIM"). I always recommend both hard and soft. You can read the hard anytime (I put mine in my bathroom and read it every day...kind of a captive audience you might say.)

The SIM will answer most of your general questions about skydiving and give you some understanding of what's going to happen for your training.

Also, for your benefit, USPA has an Online Ground School that you should look through that will give some specific info.

You can get to it from the USPA main page by looking in the scroll-down menu called "Become a Skydiver" and then selecting, "Online Ground School". Then, at the bottom of the page, select the link called "Visit the USPA Online Ground School"

or.

http://www.skydiveschool.org/#/cover/

Questions are good. Answers are free. Correct answers cost $0.50.
:D:D:D

Looking forward to meeting you.

I got a reply on my personal email from Hans so will call up once the U.S opens

Well, last I heard the U.S. was open only from 9am to 5pm. America is closed on federal holidays and every January during the Super Bowl.
:D:D:P

Is Sydney your home?
If so, we can help you get on-board with Aussie requirements, too.

Nigel has been kind enough and caring enough, to forward some Aussie-related info.

Na, Sydney isnt home, but its where I am right now. I will be flying in more than likely from Prague in the Czech Republic. If you know anything about the Czechs, the beer they have there is #1, and if you like beer, I'll bring you a bottle of Gambrinus. Its mothers milk!! Once at the farm, someone there can help me out with buying gear correct? Obviously second hand, because reading about all the different things is a little confusing for a novice!