leandercool

Why did you start?

Title says enough. I wonder how you started skydiving.
when did you have that moment where you said: "This is what I am going to do!". Tell us your life story :D

I always liked skydiving, but I've never been into it in any way.
Until that one day, when one of my teachers told me about himself as a skydiver. He showed us video's and pictures of himself. Suddely my entire body yelled at me to do it. That's the moment I started looking how, what, where... When!

I promised him that if I was qualified to jump with others, I would jump with him.
From 0 to 12.000 in 9 minutes

I was already a hang glider pilot (this had captured my imagination when I was 7 and saw them on the Dunstable Downs, just north of London) and came across wingsuits at the Coupe Icare festivale in France, which looked to me a lot like pocket hang gliders!

I'd always fancied skydiving, but this gave me the impoteus to start with the goal of wingsuit BASE at the end, which I managed 7 years after I first had the idea.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

i was trying to enlist for a golf-course; but once they spotted i didnt came with the lambo that pulled up with me, i had to go elsewhere.. i still spit on their course when we fly over it! ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I moved to a new town and needed a job. The dropzone was the first place that would hire me as a pilot.

I had absolutely no interest in jumping, but the DZ had a deal where they'd give their pilots a free jump for every 25 hours of flying if they wanted it. I'm a sucker for free stuff.

Even though I had no interest in jumping, I figured if I was going to do it, I might as well go all out--so I asked if I could use the "free jump" credit for a first jump course rather than a tandem. They said I could.

So one fine Saturday afternoon in April I found myself hanging from the strut of a Cessna, hooked up to a static line, scared to death. As soon as I let go, I finally understood why all these crazy people kept jumping out of my plane. I was hooked.

Use to fly gliders with air cadets, then flew small aircraft for fun, always swore up and down that I would never try skydiving (too scared),,, then a few years ago a friend of mine sent me a video of a wingsuit base jump with red hot chili peppers playing airplane as the music, thought that's really cool, did some research and found out learning to skydive was a BIG prerequesite to wingsuit flying, figured what the hell, if anything I can face the fear,,,,,got hooked on it and continued in the sport,,,,,bazinga!!

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

They gave me the "skydiving speech" at the bowling alley.

Perfect!!! I hope I remember this next time someone asks.... Well next time another jumper asks...

I was going to go for a glider ride, but the airport with skydiving was closer... Took me 10 more years to make that glider ride:P

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!