leandercool

Full face helmet

Ah- FWIW Not all skate board helmets are created equal- In the day, I used one as it was physically lighter than my Bell MC helmet- During my one mal- the reserve deployment flipped it right off- they found it near my main, in the school bus parking lot- apparently falls at about the same speed as a cut-away StratoStar...

I prefer nothing but a pair of goggles and ear plugs. I used to wear my hair like Billy Idol and my face flaps around like Mick Jagger. I've had my share of bloody noses but I like kiss passes. Too bad they're a thing of the past nowadays. Bummin'. You kin keep yer stinkin' full faced helmets!

jon

Hi Jon and all,
What Jon said, what Sparky said and what Jimmy (Airtwardo) said!! I like my good old "Frappe Hat!!" Wear what ya' want, run what ya' brung'!! At least ya' don't have ta' worry too much anymore 'bout gettin' cracked on the noggen since we all replaced our MS22021-1 "Speed links" with "soft links" still beware of high speed flyin' feet in freefall!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Not_Fur_Nuttin, Bill, but I remember reading an incident somewhere on here a while back. A plane-load of jumpers crashed on take-off. All walked away, save one. The guy wearing the Frap Hat. Everyone else was wearing a regular helmet. He suffered a traumatic brain injury, & is now permanently in a wheelchair. Respectfully submitted as food for thought, friend. I'd love to jump in the summer w/o a helmet. It's just not a smart thing to do.

OK, so even leaving out combat RW & smackin' the door of Mr. Douglas on a no-show speed star exit - Anyone can have a hard landing, even on a solo. In my book, making a parachute jump without a helmet is roughly equivalent to riding a motorcycle without a helmet: more power to you, but pardon me if I cringe while you do it.

Hi Andy and PhiltyPhil,
Yeah you guys are right, Brain buckets are good things!! They prevent all kinds of death and destruction. But then again the deal is like Tommy and the Cypress, the only time he really needed it to work for him, it wasn't turned on!! it's like the runway behind ya' and the altitude above ya', ain't gonna do ya' a lot of good. 'Better wear yer hard hat in the shower, ya' might fall and bonk yerself into oblivion!! OK, OK, I give up!! I'm calculating the risk I take when I engage in "Scary-chuting!!" Yes it's dangerious and wearing the brainbucket is a good idea. But if jumping is that dangerous that I have to wear a brainbucket all the time, why jump?? Like I said, it's all about "Risk Management!!" It's like I'm comfortable going to 2 grand on the pull, I'm from the old school and that's where we started!! Today all the newbies freak out below 4K!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

'Better wear yer hard hat in the shower, ya' might fall and bonk yerself into oblivion!! OK, OK, I give up!! I'm calculating the risk I take when I engage in "Scary-chuting!!" Yes it's dangerious and wearing the brainbucket is a good idea. But if jumping is that dangerous that I have to wear a brainbucket all the time, why jump?? Like I said, it's all about "Risk Management!!" It's like I'm comfortable going to 2 grand on the pull, I'm from the old school and that's where we started!! Today all the newbies freak out below 4K!!

I loved my frap hat. Comfy, kept my ears warm, etc. Back then, RW was slower, less power in the moves. Then it evolved, those feet and heads are moving a LOT faster, so am I. Once I took a heel across my chin in the tunnel, I bought a full face that season. And I like it.

I didn't have a cyprus - then I had a kid. I like my cyprus.

I opened at 2000 (max) for years. Nice, trusty Maverick over my head, opened in less than 500 feet. and when it took longer, I'd just cut a bigger hole in my slider. problem solved. Then canopies evolved. My newer canopies take a little longer to open, so I try to pull at 2500 (min) now - still in the saddle at about the same altitude. I like it, and I compensated for the difference - didn't need a BSR to make me, that'll only happen if people refuse to recognize it for themselves.

So the 'old timer' cliche attitudes are fine - as long as their jumps and gear aren't evolving either. As for a hard hat in the shower - I just don't see plumbing changing that much in the last 25 years that involves reassessing my shower risk....., but I'll take a second look if you like..;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants