leandercool

Full face helmet

Jumping with a full face helmet is like French kissin' yer sister through a screen door...it just don't feel right on a lotta levels! ;)

Hahahaha! Right!

So it's usefull for winter jumps and if you find it hard to breath. Are there more reasons? :)
From 0 to 12.000 in 9 minutes

I use a full face, even while freeflying, because I wear glasses when I jump. I've used the same Factory Diver for about 10 years. Works for me!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Same reason as Skymama--I wear glasses and hate the feeling of goggles over top of glasses. At least that's why I started jumping my Z1 as a student.

Having the added protection from getting bumped in the face is nice, too. Never been hit really hard, but the possibility is always there.

Plus it's less of a hassle for fogging on the plane ride up. When everyone around me is tipping their goggles up, trying to get them to defog, I'm happily sitting there with my visor open. Just slide up to the door, click the visor down, and out I go. Very hassle-free.

The final reason I like them is for added protection in the event I ever land off. Knock on wood, I've never landed in a corn field or tree, but I've heard that having a full face in such circumstances can keep one's face from getting scratched up.

Jumping with a full face helmet is like French kissin' yer sister through a screen door...it just don't feel right on a lotta levels! ;)

Hahahaha! Right!

So it's usefull for winter jumps and if you find it hard to breath. Are there more reasons? :)

He was joking about the breathing thing :D I hope you already knew that. :o There are a lot of different ways that you can get your face smacked during a dive. I had never used a full face until last year, but really like them now, kissing analogies are not relevant. :P
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hahahaha! Right!

He was joking about the breathing thing :D I hope you already knew that. :o There are a lot of different ways that you can get your face smacked during a dive. I had never used a full face until last year, but really like them now, kissing analogies are not relevant. :P

umm no joke, I was being serious about the breathing

Hahahaha! Right!

umm no joke, I was being serious about the breathing

Sorry, I had only heard of that as an example of things that whuffos ask about.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Is there a specific sort of helmet you guys use?

I know in motorsport there is a regulated strength of helmets that get certified with a type of stamp etc.

Or is it just a case of get a skateboarding/snowboarding/whatever helmet you can get your hands on just for the extra protection?

I have four plates holding my face together after a serious motorcycle accident that very nearly took my life......because all three of my full face motorcycle helmets were on the shelf at home.
Suffice to say I now get serious headaches if I don't wear a full face when jumping. I'm not sure if it't the temperature changes or pressure or what....

Real men wear a Frap Hat. :P

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/NightHoop.jpg

OLD men and wierd folk wear Frap hats:P:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This has me curious too. What are the disadvantages of a full face helmet (aside from the "doesn't feel right" factor?)

Some limit vision field of view all the time, and fog up just 'most' of the time...:ph34r:

They don't let your face flap around at 120mph giving the vidiot great material for comedy central...

Harder for others in free-fall to see your eyes and anticipate your next move, or be able to see how scared you really ARE...

Tough to give an audible understandable exit count with your head in a bucket..."did he say 'ready, set' or 'I just shit' ?"

Makes it extremely difficult and messy to puke in free-fall during the 9th point of the sunrise load while fighting a 'tequila with bourbon chaser' hangover...ya end up lookin' like a tuna in a goldfish bowl full of beef stew.

Takes away from the whole experience on a 'purest' kinda level, like having heated hand grips on a motocross bike.

It's freakin' Skydiving...it's SUPPOSED to be cold, fast & noisy ~ that's what makes it BEAUTIFUL! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I can't wait to buy one but right now I don't want anything between my handles and my eyes. My handles seem to be hard to see when in an arch. Using an open face is just one way for me to rule out a variable that may put me at a disadvantage when doing EPs. It's not the clear lens but rather the chin portion that may cause a problem when I go to look for the handles.

....but right now I don't want anything between my handles and my eyes. My handles seem to be hard to see when in an arch. Using an open face is just one way for me to rule out a variable that may put me at a disadvantage when doing EPs.

So I guess you're saying 'later' it will be okay to have something between your eyes and the handles...just not NOW? :S:)

Depending on where you are training, you may not be allowed to use a full face until you're licensed...'cause everybody knows, once you have 25 jumps all the safety reasons NOT to use a full-face magically disappear! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Twardo is right - there's nothing like the feel of terminal velocity air on your chops to make you feel alive.

And a full face helmet will restrict your peripheral vision a bit, and make it harder for other people to read your face, and make it harder to see your handles.

But. There's a reason 99% of the 4- and 8-way kids wear them.

If you do the kind of skydiving where getting kicked in the face is a very frequent thing, then after the second or third broken nose, you figure it out ;)

(Some people might point out that maybe "the kind of skydiving where getting kicked in the face is a very frequent thing" doesn't necessarily sound like fun, but it it ;)).

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

....but right now I don't want anything between my handles and my eyes. My handles seem to be hard to see when in an arch. Using an open face is just one way for me to rule out a variable that may put me at a disadvantage when doing EPs.

So I guess you're saying 'later' it will be okay to have something between your eyes and the handles...just not NOW? :S:)

Depending on where you are training, you may not be allowed to use a full face until you're licensed...'cause everybody knows, once you have 25 jumps all the safety reasons NOT to use a full-face magically disappear! >:(

As for not having permission to wear one - I believe you are correct.

As for the hazard may go away - Right now I am using a "one size fits no one". I was hoping a rig designed for me may help a bit. Also, the handle that is hard to see is a cloth cut a way. The stainless d-ring sticks out a little further and is easier to spot. When the time comes to buy a rig I may use a different cut a way handle.

All i am saying is if I could see better, I would like to have the added protection. Why would you knock that?