taylor.freefall

Has anybody skydived/s without their wife knowing about it?

Well, there's a lot of irrelevant misogyny and macho posturing in this thread. And you forgot to ask if any women had skydived without their husbands knowing about it ;):P.

But on the whole I'm with Squeak. If you really want to skydive then try to have a frank and reasonable discussion about it with your wife - and if that can't be done, have a heated one! But don't sneak off and jump behind her back.

When it comes to the sport, I'm blessed with singledom - and past girlfriends have been jumpers, so it was never really an issue. But I get tired of hearing people's non-jumping partners being dismissed as the enemy just because they have their own priorities.

not married, so couldnt care less. but for the numberous "mom"-comments, mine bought me knee- and shin-protection for my b-day. when she asked that i didnt even ride and what i needed them for, and i told her about my base-ventures.. she got them for me anyway! :)
and today my brother asked what i wanted: and i've asked for a good helmet. i'm probably getting it!

i love my awesome family.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

- Also just to add (well as it stands right now), I fully intend on skydiving again one day when the kids have flown the nest.

Nothing derogatory toward you personally...

But I don't understand that line of thought, yes I understand the desire to be there for the young ones.

But it's almost like you're saying it's more acceptable if your lights go out after some arbitrary point in time, following the off-spring having the capability of paying their own bills...then it is to cash the chips in tonight.

I always figured the whole game is a roll of the dice.

I mean, what's to say when your gettin' the mail tomorrow morning... you won't get hit by a bus full of drunken nuns that are breast-feeding blind orphaned chimpanzees?

It could happen! :)

Does THAT mean you're not gonna get the mail until the kids get their MBA's and have some resumes out?

I understand all the usual arguments/excuses...'priorities' - 'risk management' ect. but there is ALSO a thing called 'quality of life', and if I ever had though even for a moment that raising children would automatically mean I couldn't experience as much of MY life the way that makes me happy...well then I wouldn't have 3 grand kids already! :D

I guess 'if' I were desperately looking for an excuse not to skydive now...I could blame it on wanting to 'be around' until the kids kids have some kids. :S

Your REAL life is what's whizzin' by, while you're dreaming about your IDEAL life...

Now IF you'll please excuse me....I gotta go get the mail.:ph34r:

I've been out to check the mailbox three times since I read this today.

I don't understand how mixed couples (jumper/non-jumper) work anyway. I was lucky enough to meet and marry at the DZ.

Well, there's a lot of irrelevant misogyny and macho posturing in this thread

This.

Back on-topic: Nope. How can you hide something so huge? Especially at the beginning, when it's all you can think about or talk about.

Skydiving did kinda break one of my relationships though (it wasn't a matter of choosing jumping over her, but it was a significant stress factor). Now my partner skydives, the only bad thing about it is when she goes on training camps without me and I know she's jumping her arse off while I'm in the office B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Squeak, I've spoke to you before on here and found you to be an internet warrior - you talk shit on the computer cause you don't think we'll ever be face to face - I'm calling you out right now.
Seriously, this is not the first time you've talked shit, so if you wanna get down let me know and I'll see you - Yes I'll calling you out openly...

Nothing warrior about my post, just pointing out that, feeling that you need to keep things like this from your partner might indicate bigger issues.

Squeek, you dregged up a post from october 2007???
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Squeak, I've spoke to you before on here and found you to be an internet warrior - you talk shit on the computer cause you don't think we'll ever be face to face - I'm calling you out right now.
Seriously, this is not the first time you've talked shit, so if you wanna get down let me know and I'll see you - Yes I'll calling you out openly...

Nothing warrior about my post, just pointing out that, feeling that you need to keep things like this from your partner might indicate bigger issues.

Squeek, you dregged up a post from october 2007???

Its the registration date of the guy he was responding to, the post date is above.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I don't understand how mixed couples (jumper/non-jumper) work anyway. I was lucky enough to meet and marry at the DZ.

They work. If the relationship/marriage is stable enough it ought to "endure" skydiving ;) We had been married for 18 years when I started skydiving and have added about 10 years since. It#s a question of priorities and agreements.

But I think if I had tried to hide my addiction our marriage would have failed.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

They work. If the relationship/marriage is stable enough it ought to "endure" skydiving ;) We had been married for 18 years when I started skydiving and have added about 10 years since. It#s a question of priorities and agreements.

But I think if I had tried to hide my addiction our marriage would have failed.

Yup, I'd been jumping 17 years prior and 20 since we hooked up.

Maybe the fact we met at a demo I was jumping made the point I was doing something I like to do?

What I like about our relationship is neither of us try to put 'limits' on the other. We tend to encourage each others interests, hobbies, choices etc.

Both adults she & I, we don't need or want someone scowling and saying 'you can't do that!" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

- Also just to add (well as it stands right now), I fully intend on skydiving again one day when the kids have flown the nest.

Nothing derogatory toward you personally...

But I don't understand that line of thought, yes I understand the desire to be there for the young ones.

But it's almost like you're saying it's more acceptable if your lights go out after some arbitrary point in time, following the off-spring having the capability of paying their own bills...then it is to cash the chips in tonight.

I always figured the whole game is a roll of the dice.

I mean, what's to say when your gettin' the mail tomorrow morning... you won't get hit by a bus full of drunken nuns that are breast-feeding blind orphaned chimpanzees?

It could happen! :)

Does THAT mean you're not gonna get the mail until the kids get their MBA's and have some resumes out?

I understand all the usual arguments/excuses...'priorities' - 'risk management' ect. but there is ALSO a thing called 'quality of life', and if I ever had though even for a moment that raising children would automatically mean I couldn't experience as much of MY life the way that makes me happy...well then I wouldn't have 3 grand kids already! :D

I guess 'if' I were desperately looking for an excuse not to skydive now...I could blame it on wanting to 'be around' until the kids kids have some kids. :S

Your REAL life is what's whizzin' by, while you're dreaming about your IDEAL life...

Now IF you'll please excuse me....I gotta go get the mail.:ph34r:

Well the difference is that very young children (and young teenagers) need guidance and direction moreso than say an 18+ year old who has already left home, has their own apartment - ie, their own life already.

I completely understand that my wife/any wife (or husband for that matter) would have a problem with their
other half if they were skydiving on a regular basis with young kids. It IS a dangerous sport - I totally get that.

The thing that brought this up is that a while ago I had a few friends round - one who asked me if I would take him to do a tandem, without thinking about it I said yes...
(Oh let me add in that when I stopped jumping my wife told me that she didn't mind if I jumped occasionally - just not on a regular basis - ie a tandem now and again would be ok).

Any way when the above subject came up it was met with disapproval - no probs to be honest, whatever, UNTIL I said I wanted a gopro. This reignited the skydiving debate. I have no plans to even go skydiving anytime soon?! However I can't see it being so bad if I did a tandem with a friend.

I really don't plan on sneaking off behind her back although, if I'm going to be honest, it did occur to me, but then that's kind of a slippery slope - besides how would I explain it if I broke an ankle or something... speaking of which she has been skydiving with me, once... and nearly broke her leg, couldn't have made things worse to be honest.

But, like somebody said earlier (I forgot who), yeah I do resent the fact that I'm "told" what I can and can't do - the worst part of all that is that I wouldn't be jumping any way and she'd be getting her wish!

Either way I really do miss it and I've been thinking I can still feel "involved" by having a few minutes in the wind tunnel every now and again - it's sooo *ucking expensive though.
-Just to add, I will bring the subject up again in a calm and mild manner - no time soon though, it's too fresh right now, maybe in a few months, I'll play it by ear.
(sold my rig too, arghhh).

Well, there's a lot of irrelevant misogyny and macho posturing in this thread. And you forgot to ask if any women had skydived without their husbands knowing about it

My wife and I talk several times a day on the phone. Even after 25 years I still love to hear her voice. But, when I call her cell and she doesn't answer, I can bet dollars to donuts she's out jumpin'. But that's OK. Since she started jumpin' outta airplanes she is the happiest I have ever seen her. I only get pissed cause I'm not there too!:)

Well, there's a lot of irrelevant misogyny and macho posturing in this thread. And you forgot to ask if any women had skydived without their husbands knowing about it

My wife and I talk several times a day on the phone. Even after 25 years I still love to hear her voice. But, when I call her cell and she doesn't answer, I can bet dollars to donuts she's out jumpin'. But that's OK. Since she started jumpin' outta airplanes she is the happiest I have ever seen her. I only get pissed cause I'm not there too!:)

Mature & secure...good on you!

If one can find happiness in helping their SO do what makes THEM happy...it's ALL gravy! B|

Mature & secure...good on you!

If one can find happiness in helping their SO do what makes THEM happy...it's ALL gravy! B|

T'Wardo - Thinking about it (and in all seriousness) I don't suppose I could marry you?
PS... sexy boy...

T'Wardo - Thinking about it (and in all seriousness) I don't suppose I could marry you?
PS... sexy boy...

Waiting......

Waiting......

This is going to be good......

waiting......
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

PS... sexy boy...

Waiting......

Waiting......

This is going to be good......

waiting......

:$ Hommnina Hommnina Hommnina

I just jump whether she knows or likes it or not. IF I did she finds out by looking at the bank. If I didn't she finds out by looking at the bank. Skydiving can last entire weekends and bring great fun, and she will get bored of bitching about it long before the 48 hour mark. A good rule of thumb is to edit video from that weekend as soon as you get home so you tune out the bitching by being occupied with other more important activities.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I just jump whether she knows or likes it or not. IF I did she finds out by looking at the bank. If I didn't she finds out by looking at the bank. Skydiving can last entire weekends and bring great fun, and she will get bored of bitching about it long before the 48 hour mark. A good rule of thumb is to edit video from that weekend as soon as you get home so you tune out the bitching by being occupied with other more important activities.

All you guys who have partners bitching about your skydiving, ARE WITH THE WRONG PARTNER

Partners are supposed to love you and care for your happiness. They should be encouraging you to do the things that make you smile, and de-stress your life.

Or is my wife just doing it all wrong?:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yup, I was a dummy. Was tunnel flying a lot and had my jump suit and helmet. When in Orlando I ordered a Mirage/PD/Vigil. When it was completed I flew home from a two week work trip 3 days early right to Orlando. Picked up my gear and did my AFF. Would have got away with it if a nice guy I met (Captain) had not posted on my facebook page. I was stupid and regret my actions. Really hurt my wife of 26 years. Nothing funny here, just a very bad mistake that I wish I could take back. Met the greatest people at Mirage, and PD, and a fantastic coach.