Sjaak

What's difficult about skydiving

Just because something looks easy doesn't mean it is.

Any guy dating a redhead can tell ya THAT! :$

Learning that lesson one day at a time...:S

B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I got some troll food for you:
1) www.amf.com you will find this website the most important one in you skydiving career (just a hunch)
2) When/if you do start skydiving get rid of this account. I can't remember a more ridiculous post...ever. (If there is one, I wanna see it)
3) If you have the same mentality about kitesurfing, I want to hear back from you after you encounter a like-minded individual coming at you in and equal and opposite velocity as you.
4) This forum is not for the faint of heart. All holy cows are slaughtered equally. Spanking is common place. Egos get bruised and battered. But also, this place is quoted most often with regards to skydiving the world over. You mess with the bull...(you get the bull$hit)
5) The most disturbing thing about you is that you think that some of the posts are entertaining. They are! To the sick individuals we call our dys-fun-ctional family. You, however, need to realize that you trolled on something so unique that we all want to see the video of your epic fail. (pace-palm yourself now)
6) In some small way I actually wish that you are not a troll because this makes it to the top of the list for wuffo questions. And I am glad because this will have some funny replies.

(0/10) for troll obviousness
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

I got some troll food for you:
1) www.amf.com you will find this website the most important one in you skydiving career (just a hunch)
2) When/if you do start skydiving get rid of this account. I can't remember a more ridiculous post...ever. (If there is one, I wanna see it)
3) If you have the same mentality about kitesurfing, I want to hear back from you after you encounter a like-minded individual coming at you in and equal and opposite velocity as you.
4) This forum is not for the faint of heart. All holy cows are slaughtered equally. Spanking is common place. Egos get bruised and battered. But also, this place is quoted most often with regards to skydiving the world over. You mess with the bull...(you get the bull$hit)
5) The most disturbing thing about you is that you think that some of the posts are entertaining. They are! To the sick individuals we call our dys-fun-ctional family. You, however, need to realize that you trolled on something so unique that we all want to see the video of your epic fail. (pace-palm yourself now)
6) In some small way I actually wish that you are not a troll because this makes it to the top of the list for wuffo questions. And I am glad because this will have some funny replies.

(0/10) for troll obviousness

Mother fucking classic.

Especially the aff movies on youtube showed me it can be pretty hard to 'just fly'

Exactly, because nobody knows how to 'just fly'. It is a skill that can't be had just by watching others do it. Just as the simple skill of riding a bicycle cannot be obtained by watching others, your brain has to be trained to do something new. A lot of people don't realize that when turning left on a bicycle, you first turn the front wheel to the right, which causes you to lean to the left, and then you bring the wheel back to the left. To come out of the turn, you turn more left to bring you out of being leaned over. People learn how to ride a bike without this knowledge, but it takes a bunch of practice and failures. Even with the knowledge of how you at first steer the opposite of how you want to go, it still is not possible for your brain to do it without repeated training, but before too long, you can ride no-hands and eat at the same time it becomes so easy.

This made it all clear, very good comparison :)

I want to start skydiving and looked some around on youtube and forums like this and it all looks super easy.. basically you just jump out of a plane, fly some around, have a very great time and open your parachute in time?

Im pretty sure I already understand the steering and landing part by just using logical reasoning and experience from kitesurfing.

I understand you need to discuss some with your co-jumpers so you dont crash on each other etc..

So im just like give me a parachute, tell me how i fold it, tell me how it opens, tell me how my reserve opens, and let me jump?

Please explain me why I need to pay a huge amount of cash for instructors, theoretical course etc.

The course is not theoretical; it is performance-oriented. The Instructor will demonstrate by the numbers, teach you by the numbers and make any corrective training on the spot as well as flight debriefings after you've completed a dive.

You'll be taught about your equipment
How to exit that DZ's particular aircraft (there are some you do NOT want to exit too high out of).
How to fly/control your body in freefall.
Increasing the complexities of each dive to make you more proficient and placing you on the path of skydiving safely with others.
Landing patterns specific to that DZ.

AND...

While there are those with experience in other extreme/sports that will give them _some_ frame of reference for varying components of skydiving; there is no experience in other sports on dealing with the varying types of malfunctions and the proper procedures in dealing with each one (For example, you have two canopies out.. they can be one in front of the other or side-by-side. If the main canopy is in the front of the reserve canopy ... "What do you do now, Jack? W H A T do you do?!?!?" What if it's the other way around?) That's just one catch me fuck me malfunction... the scariest being the horseshoe malfunction. Scariest to even those with tens of thousands of jumps.

You're always more than welcome to review the classroom instruction manuals that all USPA DZ's use... (ya know, so you can move from one DZ to another - anywhere in the country... if your job changes, etc. and pick up right where you left off at your old DZ)

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

The bottom line here is.... While you may think it's an inordinate amount of cash for instruction; that's not all the money is for... there are a lot of hidden costs you'll never see broken out by line itemization in an invoice: Gear, land, taxes, insurance, light bills, phone bills, student jumpsuits, student gear maintenance, aircraft, pilots, aircraft fuel, aircraft maintenance, advertising, websites, etc. Oh Yeah... and training materials.

If I may suggest that future inquiries be more respectful. You've made yourself sound like that student we've all had that showed up at the DZ as an "extreme sport junkie" with a resume of extreme accomplishments from MMA to sky-sailing, to being pilots, to motocross and my personal favorite - the extreme skateboarder... some whom have done well, but there's always the one who shits his pants while exiting the plane, only to run off after the dive, never to be seen again... BUT, we always have video of those. Always. And, we know how to post to Utube also. >:(

Thanks a lot for the information and for your offer, but im not from US, Im Dutch..

haha humorous topic.
This is actually the first time I heard about kitesurfing (guess that's what I get for living in cold Montreal Canada). Looks hella fun aswell.

The easy summary is:
-Belly flying should be relatively easy. I've seen some people "get it" within 4 tries in the tunnels.
-Every other things like backflying/freeflying will make you go "wtf" for a very long time until you "get it".

Cheers! :P

Thanks a lot for the information and for your offer, but im not from US, Im Dutch..

Thought you might be, from the name.

Well lucky you; as long as you stay away from any official dropzone and any official instructor, you can actually just buy a skydiving rig and get a pilot to let you jump out. No laws against it.

Just make sure to get video.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You've made yourself sound like that student we've all had that showed up at the DZ as an "extreme sport junkie"

Hmz I'm a fairly new instructor and so far I haven't had one of those yet. Been lucky that way thus far ;)

Now it seems like I might get my first one :S:S:S:ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You've made yourself sound like that student we've all had that showed up at the DZ as an "extreme sport junkie"

Hmz I'm a fairly new instructor and so far I haven't had one of those yet. Been lucky that way thus far ;)

Now it seems like I might get my first one :S:S:S:ph34r:

Those come in many guises..

I'm always a bit wary around kitesurfers and paragliders. Not that they always have an arrogant attitude, but relatively speaking they know a lot about canopy control (steering). They keep hearing familiar things during the FJC and it's tempting to take stuff less seriously. It's up to the instructor to cure them of that. Once, I had a paraglider ask me the most ridiculous questions when I was explaining malfunctions. I wiped the annoying little smile off his face by smacking my hand on the table in front of him as hard as I could and turning around while saying:
"You're dead. You didn't pay attention, you didn't act. You froze, you fucked up and now you're dead.
A hush descended over the classroom and then one of the students (also a parapenter) said:
"It's suddenly a lot less funny now..."

Lesson learned. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I've seen a paraglider who did a long series of stallturns on a manta, down to less than 100ft when he let up the toggle and flared.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

He was lucky the canopy opened back up and lucky that the little thing called FXC didn't fire.

B|

OTOH, paragliders know to land out together - on a jump with a crappy spot we all landed way out. I had a solo student fly over me and my jump buddy back towards the DZ, but then he headed back to land a couple meters from me. :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I want to start skydiving and looked some around on youtube and forums like this and it all looks super easy.. basically you just jump out of a plane, fly some around, have a very great time and open your parachute in time?

Im pretty sure I already understand the steering and landing part by just using logical reasoning and experience from kitesurfing.

I understand you need to discuss some with your co-jumpers so you dont crash on each other etc..

So im just like give me a parachute, tell me how i fold it, tell me how it opens, tell me how my reserve opens, and let me jump?

Please explain me why I need to pay a huge amount of cash for instructors, theoretical course etc.

The course is not theoretical; it is performance-oriented. The Instructor will demonstrate by the numbers, teach you by the numbers and make any corrective training on the spot as well as flight debriefings after you've completed a dive.

You'll be taught about your equipment
How to exit that DZ's particular aircraft (there are some you do NOT want to exit too high out of).
How to fly/control your body in freefall.
Increasing the complexities of each dive to make you more proficient and placing you on the path of skydiving safely with others.
Landing patterns specific to that DZ.

AND...

While there are those with experience in other extreme/sports that will give them _some_ frame of reference for varying components of skydiving; there is no experience in other sports on dealing with the varying types of malfunctions and the proper procedures in dealing with each one (For example, you have two canopies out.. they can be one in front of the other or side-by-side. If the main canopy is in the front of the reserve canopy ... "What do you do now, Jack? W H A T do you do?!?!?" What if it's the other way around?) That's just one catch me fuck me malfunction... the scariest being the horseshoe malfunction. Scariest to even those with tens of thousands of jumps.

You're always more than welcome to review the classroom instruction manuals that all USPA DZ's use... (ya know, so you can move from one DZ to another - anywhere in the country... if your job changes, etc. and pick up right where you left off at your old DZ)

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

The bottom line here is.... While you may think it's an inordinate amount of cash for instruction; that's not all the money is for... there are a lot of hidden costs you'll never see broken out by line itemization in an invoice: Gear, land, taxes, insurance, light bills, phone bills, student jumpsuits, student gear maintenance, aircraft, pilots, aircraft fuel, aircraft maintenance, advertising, websites, etc. Oh Yeah... and training materials.

If I may suggest that future inquiries be more respectful. You've made yourself sound like that student we've all had that showed up at the DZ as an "extreme sport junkie" with a resume of extreme accomplishments from MMA to sky-sailing, to being pilots, to motocross and my personal favorite - the extreme skateboarder... some whom have done well, but there's always the one who shits his pants while exiting the plane, only to run off after the dive, never to be seen again... BUT, we always have video of those. Always. And, we know how to post to Utube also. >:(

Oooooohhh. You're Dutch!!! My apologies. I'll go over it again... r-e-a-l s-l-o-w :)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

OH. Be warned when you go to your local DZ, they'll try to get you to practice using a rudder in your class, don't believe them, it's a trick. You don't have to do it, but you might like it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oooooohhh. You're Dutch!!! My apologies. I'll go over it again... r-e-a-l s-l-o-w :)

oh, I think I understood it pretty well, just mentioned it because you offered me to look at the US classroom instruction manuals..

http://www.parachute.nl/infonlregels.html

You going to talk about it or do it?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

what is a rudder?

Well, in your case it would be a dutch rudder.

I don't understand?

Is it supposed to be funny? :)

Yes funny and over the top.

Just like this entire thread.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."