skykank

cessna 182 RG is it good for skydiving?

There is no point to climbing with the gear down, you might as well reduce the drag since you'll be carrying the extra weight. You'll want to fly jump run with the gear up so no one tries to use it as a step since it won't take any weight at all...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That's what I tought, even with the gear down you wouldn't be able to put any weight over it !!

But thanks anyways !!

Keep in mind, even if you never retract the gear, there's still extra maintenance that's required, more points of failure, and not much reason to use it over fixed.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You'll want to fly jump run with the gear up so no one tries to use it as a step since it won't take any weight at all...

Please explain that to me.

It carries the weight of the plane, which is far more than the weight of a skydiver, so why would a skydiver, or two, standing on it be a problem?

it's designed to carry the weight of the plane from the bottom up, not the weight of 2 people from the top down. they are pretty dependable but, like anything that can work it sometimes doesn't and will of course need more attention if it gets more work. I did 6 tandems from a 210 in Honduras. that sucker was fast! turbocharged. short climb and then the pilot was getting yanked around by ATC. no cut. had to be the other side of 140 the 1st time. balled up to make sure we cleared the tail. slowed down some on the others. Fun times and nice ride.

Nothing wrong with a 182RG at all. Just keep the gear up. The original Ripcord TV show used a Cessna 210 and everyone just jumped out like we do with a lot of the turbines out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglgGAngsmI&feature=related
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I know of several 182 TRG used for skydiving, and standing on the gear doesnt seem to cause any problems. I have been on the gear with 3 to 4 other guys lots of times. I dont know if there have been made any modifications to the gear to allow this.
However, one of them had a problem because of the grass runway being used, that broke the gear one time.

Just like the skids on most light helis (ravens) it's designed for a positive load not negative. There are mounts being bent because of this. I understand were talking about a cessna with RG but you have to realize aircraft parts are built to be as light as possible and only do what they are designed to do, a certain function under certain conditions.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

You'll want to fly jump run with the gear up so no one tries to use it as a step since it won't take any weight at all...

Please explain that to me. It carries the weight of the plane, which is far more than the weight of a skydiver, so why would a skydiver, or two, standing on it be a problem?

it's designed to carry the weight of the plane from the bottom up, not the weight of 2 people from the top down. they are pretty dependable but, like anything that can work it sometimes doesn't and will of course need more attention if it gets more work. I did 6 tandems from a 210 in Honduras. that sucker was fast! turbocharged. short climb and then the pilot was getting yanked around by ATC. no cut. had to be the other side of 140 the 1st time. balled up to make sure we cleared the tail. slowed down some on the others. Fun times and nice ride.

I've heard that argument before, but I've always been a bit skeptical of it. Thinking through it outloud here... A C-182 weighs about 2,500 lbs. In landing, the nose is often held off the ground and the two rear wheels absorb the impact, so they have to be designed to handle at least 1,250 lbs each. More actually, to allow for G-loads from descent rate. Probably up to a couple thousand pounds each by design.

So, a piece of steel that is designed to take a load of over 1,200 lbs from the bottom pushing up, I wouldn't think would have much problem holding 500 lbs. or so from two skydivers from the top pushing down. That's just my logical side thinking about it.

Not doubting the validity of your aspect of the direction of the load, as I don't know how that piece of steel is attached to the frame and such.

Please explain that to me. It carries the weight of the plane, which is far more than the weight of a skydiver, so why would a skydiver, or two, standing on it be a problem?

I've heard that argument before, but I've always been a bit skeptical of it. Thinking through it outloud here... A C-182 weighs about 2,500 lbs. In landing, the nose is often held off the ground and the two rear wheels absorb the impact, so they have to be designed to handle at least 1,250 lbs each. More actually, to allow for G-loads from descent rate. Probably up to a couple thousand pounds each by design.

So, a piece of steel that is designed to take a load of over 1,200 lbs from the bottom pushing up, I wouldn't think would have much problem holding 500 lbs. or so from two skydivers from the top pushing down. That's just my logical side thinking about it.

Not doubting the validity of your aspect of the direction of the load, as I don't know how that piece of steel is attached to the frame and such.

Here is a video of the retraction/extension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnToe7zOa8E&feature=related

Watch how the gear droops and rotates back. When it is extended, it is very strong in support of the plane. But it doesn't have any significant strength for a jumper standing on it. It isn't designed or intended to have loads placed on it that way. It's designed to 'collapse' in that direction when it retracts.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Watch the video that was posted upthread. You'll see that the gear is attached inboard, and then locks into a 'channel' that leads outboard of the fuselage. The underside of that channel is like a back-stop that the gear rests against when deployed, and where the load is focused when the gear is loaded. Note that there is nothing supporting the gear from the bottom, as there is never a load pushing down on the gear (besides jumpers).

Im not even sure what holds it up, but I would imagine that it's a pin or interlock that's designed to support the weight of one gear leg which I can only assume is less than the weight of one jumper. When you double or triple that load, you might have a problem.

Here is a video of the retraction/extension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnToe7zOa8E&feature=related

Watch how the gear droops and rotates back. When it is extended, it is very strong in support of the plane. But it doesn't have any significant strength for a jumper standing on it. It isn't designed or intended to have loads placed on it that way. It's designed to 'collapse' in that direction when it retracts.

Thanks for that video, Joe. That helps me understand. I'm thinking that it's sort of like a kickstand on a bicycle or motorcycle. Resists the weight of the bike when down, but when pushed on from above, easily yields to the retracted position.