bdurham

Altimeter check...

When i got my new altis off of here, I asked one of the TI's at my DZ to jump with them a few times along with their normal alti to verify for me before I jumped with them. The TI didn't mind at all and did 3 tandems with it on and said it looked good to him. I don't know if that was really necessary, but it made me feel better!

I just got a new altimeter and periodically checked it against my friend's on the way to altitude. Every time I checked they matched so I called it good.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The jump plane's altimeter is likely to be accurate (it has to be tested periodically if the plane is flown IFR). So just compare your reading with the plane's, and correct for the altitude of the airport as necessary.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can always give to someone who has the equipment and the skill to check it in a test chamber.

Mike Gruwell at Chutingstar can do that.

Yes, use a test chamber designed for testing old-style FXC 12000 Automatic Activation Devices.
Just phone around to find out which DZ still uses FXC 12000s on their student gear.

When I worked at Pitt Meadows, once a year, I used to run all their students altimeters through the test chamber, just to confirm that they were still accurate.