airtwardo

The re-pack cycle ~ *From Z-Hill Fatality thread

Again, show me the regulation and I will be happy to look at it.

Part 105.3 and Part 105.43

105.3____ Definitions.
For the purposes of this part—

Parachute operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger

(1) Within 120 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Part 105.3 and Part 105.43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

105.3____ Definitions.
For the purposes of this part—

Parachute operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

You failed to bold a few items here Sparky.

can involve, but is not limited to

That means "maybe" at best....

You never noted that the rigger and pilot were also invfolved:
certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

And this part that clearly shows that the pilot is the responsible person on that jump.....

....and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft....Since the pilot is not supposed to let someone jump illegally, it never is supposed to happen.

I agree that the owner/jumper is the one needed to make sure everything is airworthy but at the end of the day there are no regulations in place today that does that.

In fact, just like in one of my earlier post, the jumper mentality and self compliance is going quite the opposite direction without any requlations in place to hold them ,and them alone, accountable!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

This is your quote and it is the first paragraph of Part 105.43. I would say that is an FAA Regulation. You continue to interpet the Regs. the way by what you think not by what they say.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This is your quote and it is the first paragraph of Part 105.43. I would say that is an FAA Regulation. You continue to interpet the Regs. the way by what you think not by what they say.

That is just your opinion.

The fact remains that no one other than a rigger or pilot has ever been reprimanded for an unairworthy rig.
Why? It is because the FAA does not have a regullation that clearly show that!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

The fact remains that no one other than a rigger or pilot has ever been reprimanded for an unairworthy rig.
Why? It is because the FAA does not have a regullation that clearly show that!

MEL

I can see why you might have that opinion. My opinion is that it is a fact that in a time of limited resources, the FAA chooses to go after certificate holders because they are easier targets.

Mark

Hey Sparky,

It is obvious that there is a regulation that prohibits jumping out of an a/c without the right gear, reserve inspected/packed by the properly certificated rigger, under conditions also regulated by the FARs.

What there is NOT is anything that regulates or mandates that the jumper or operator of the parachute perform any daily,weekly,monthly safety inspections or pre-flight checks. It is merely mandated that the reserve be inspected and repacked periodically by a rigger.

Remember when we'd throw our bellywart reserves into the trunk with the side bungee through the ripcord handle so it wouldn't get pulled moving stuff around? We'd hand it to the rigger every other month for repack and get it back with a new signature. There was no inspection of the harness, capewells, hardware, etc. That was up to us. It still is ain't it?!?! Not because there is any regulation for us to. Just because it's the smart thing to do. Nothing has changed.

jon