Jumpdude

Base Jumpers busted in Nashville

this is how Jeb Corliss was able to defeat his NYC charges

Jeb Corliss spent a fortune on a good lawyer. The lawyer was the one who got the charges dropped.

These guys should retain some good legal counsel in Nashville. Felony charges are nothing to toy with, and if the prosecuter is having a bad day and tight with the judge, I wouldn't want to trust my fate to a public defender.

Uless they rented a room on the top floor, tresspassing is a vey real possbility, I can see the Sharaton people wanting to press charges. Depending on what they did to get on the roof (if they left from the roof), breaking and entering might come into the picture. I'm not sure how long it will take, but they should get their gear back eventaully. Once the charges are all sorted out and they take care of fines and/or jail time, the gear should be returned to it's rightful owner.

Once the charges are all sorted out and they take care of fines and/or jail time, the gear should be returned to it's rightful owner.

Maybe. If the jumpers are acquitted or later found not guilty, since the gear would be state's evidence. If this goes all the way to trial and through any appeals process, then you're looking at a date possibly a couple of years in the future. If they're found guilty, then they may not get the gear back. That is up to the individual court. In Texas that gear could be seized since it was used in the commission of a felony and sold at auction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

this is how Jeb Corliss was able to defeat his NYC charges

Jeb Corliss spent a fortune on a good lawyer. The lawyer was the one who got the charges dropped.

If you re referring to Jeb's attempt to jump from the Empire State building The charges weren't dropped. He got 3 years probation and 100 hrs. of community service.
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

I believe if they can show that what they were doing was repeatable, ie not a crazy stunt, then the reckless endangerment wont stick.

I'd like the prosecutor to demonstrate who these guys were endangering at 5 am (besides themselves).
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'd like the prosecutor to demonstrate who these guys were endangering at 5 am (besides themselves).

I don't think he has any intention of doing that. He knows nobody in Nashville is going to pay further attention to this story, or hold him to his claims to persue felony charges.

In the court of 'public opinion', the prosecuter has scored a 'win' for keeping the streets of Nashville safe. Even if there was a follow up story, it's doubtful anyone would remember the pledge to felony convictions or take the prosecutor to task for not following through.

During the exciting 'breaking news', the prosector got what he wanted. In the much less glamourous world of reality and due process, these guys will probably walk away with tresspassing charges like countless other BASE jumpers.

OK, just to address a few random comments, in the interest of accuracy:

>>Charges won't stick

They might very well stick, if the DA pushes prosecution, and the judge allows it.

>>I believe if they can show that what they were doing was repeatable, ie not a crazy stunt, then the reckless endangerment wont stick. this is how Jeb Corliss was able to defeat his NYC charges.

That's incorrect, both as to the legal elements of the ofense, as as to the outcome of Jeb's case.

>>I wouldn't want to trust my fate to a public defender.

Myth. The so-called "lousy public defender" (or court-appointed attorney) is almost always a myth in most locations in the past 20 or 30 years. I don't know what system they have in Nashville, without looking it up. But 9 times out of 10, the most highly-skilled criminal defense attorneys in the courtoom are either the public defenders or those who were initially trained as public defenders.

>>If they're found guilty, then they may not get the gear back. That is up to the individual court. In Texas that gear could be seized since it was used in the commission of a felony and sold at auction.

Correct! Being a law (enforcement) professional, Dave knows whence he speaks.

>>I'd like the prosecutor to demonstrate who these guys were endangering at 5 am (besides themselves).

Any motorist or pedestrian that they might have landed on had one of them gone in with nothing out. Even at 5 am.

>>They did not get charged with a felony.

Trespass in Tennessee is a felony for some grades of offense, and a misdemeanor for other grades. Same goes for all the other states. Reckless endangerment can also be a felony in some states, depending on various circumstances. Anyone who banks on only being charged with misdemeanors if they're busted BASING off a building just might find themselves unpleasantly surprised.

Let me guess.... Waverly jumpers?

I don't think these were. I believe the news report said they were from somewhere else and not from around here.

Besides that, if they could scam someone up there, it could have been them.;)
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org