stratostar

anyone looking for a nice round?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250967188510

Not mine, but I saw this ad hidden in the military stuff and not the skydiving stuff, so if anyone is looking for a PC class canopy to jump, this looks like a nice one... I know now & then people post looking for one to jump or buy.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

my buddy had one exactly that color pattern...... i put a few jumps on it myself, in '74 or '75....

seems like the ad is for canopy only.... no mention of container(s)

i can assure any potential buyer that those french Paps.. were excellent parachutes....B|
i stomped a disc or two, using them...;) AND on a downwind final.....:o:S:)

jmy
a 3914
d 12122

That thing is like 35 years old.

What kind of material are they made of? Would it even be jumpable? The listing says it's being sold as a collector's item or display item.

Can you jump something that old? Just have a rigger check it out?

Any idea what kind of container you can put it in? I have an empty javelin sitting around...

What kind of material are they made of? Would it even be jumpable? The listing says it's being sold as a collector's item or display item.

Any idea what kind of container you can put it in? I have an empty javelin sitting around...

haha * 10

you are so proud of being an attorney (as per your earlier threads)
Do what lawschool taught you to do - RESEARCH

Yep, and I got a couple older then that

What kind of material are they made of?

taffeta (sp)

Would it even be jumpable?

Yes

The listing says it's being sold as a collector's item or display item.

They always are your a lawyer, figure it out on your own....:P

Yes & Yes

Normally it would go into a large older style vintage H&C, however if your Javelin is large enough it might fit, were talking large student size.... You could get an old used student rig or old tandem rig for cheap and build a rig on 3 rings and square reserve for it. There are ways to jump it.

The lady selling it is a lady who has grown up in the sport and is related to some well know jumpers, I highly doubt she would sell it if it was unairworthy. The listing has expired, she said she might list it again in the skydiving section, if there is an honest interest in it she gave me a contact email for those who might be interested.

I would be if my wife wouldn't kill me... I have enough already....:S:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

haha * 10

you are so proud of being an attorney (as per your earlier threads)
Do what lawschool taught you to do - RESEARCH

Ha. I never said I was proud ;)

It's not in the same universe with fitting into a container made for a 170, even if you pack like a CRW dog.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Adam,

Can you jump something that old?

As an attorney ( and my son is also ) you might be interested in knowing that you can jump your grandmother's drawers as a main canopy if you want to.

There are no air-worthiness standards for main canopies. They have no certification of any type.

However, in our litigous society, many main canopies do come with large orange disclaimer placards. :P

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for sparing me some research stratostar :)

I may just have to get it. Would be cool to jump on occasion.

So, by student sizes, I presume you don't mean 170. That's what my empty javelin fits. (170 saber II)

Umm, judging from your lack of knowledge and experience, I would suggest you stay away from rounds.

However, seeing as you're a lawyer... go for it. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The ad said it was a French Pap...I don't think those were made of Taffeta, it was a more porous material than the American Paps which I know for sure were Taffeta.

I own an American Pap, and have jumped both...the French Paps had a better sink.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

the American Paps which I know for sure were Taffeta.

It might depend upon who made the 'American' Pap.

At first ( IIRC ), Snyder had them made by Steinthal. Later, Security made them for him.

As I remember, since I was visiting at Security when they were making them, those made by Security were made from ripstop.

Just to keep things straight ( I hope ), :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

I own an American Pap

A little tidbit of trivia for you ( since we now have kicked the bee-whatever out of poor Adam B| ).

Most canopies that never used continuous lines, such as the 26 ft Navy conicals, 26 ft Lo-Po's, ParaCommanders, etc. had the radial seams sewn together & then the radial seam tapes were sewn over the seams.

Well, Snyder wanted to keep his production costs as low as he could; so he had Security sew the radial seams & install the radial seam tapes in one pass of the sewing machine.

Just in case you really, really need that info late on a Saturday evening in the bar. :P

JerryBaumchen

I always thought that French Paps were taffeta, as per stratostar, for all the canopy panels . Preety good steering lines set up which fingered out up inside the inflated canopy and connected to drive slots and turn slots. Needed to be real deliberate with them while packing... They always had the EFA logo and a large butterfly logo on the middle stabilizer. i think the logo was on Both sides.. but maybe only one..
They DID have different fabric for the apex.
And That fabric was porous, very porous.. That is what allowed for the excellent "sink" characteristic for which they were known...:):S:P including my jump number 1 grand!!!:o:)
(i owned 3 different ones, during the 70's... all 2nd hand ).
The containers
were The StyleMaster, 3 pin ripcord, diagonal pattern for the pins and cones, Very square and boxy looking rig. :| Canopy would be packed in a sleeve and deployed with 1 MA 1 spring loaded pilot chute. Ripcord with pins running though a housing...
Quickly the sleeves gave way to d bags and P.O.D. s... They were an improvement...
Only had one malfunction in all those jumps. Had 2 canopies,,, each in it's own d bag, and one container system which accepted them both.. well at a meet, i did a jump, landed and went to t he packing area... i cutaway the risers of the just-used canopy

. pulled the other one out of a gear bag.. hooked THAT one up to the capewells and closed the rig... well the dive went great ( for what we could DO from Seven-5 ) and i deployed..... the canopy inflated and there were waay to many lines criss-crossed... like they were NOT supposed to be !!!... Hot Damn... I grinned, flipped open the covers, brought my legs out in f ront of me, and popped the cable rings!!!! perfect !!! rocked slightly ass to earth and pulled my chest mounted reserve.... Beautiful!!! what a fun and neat visual!!!!!! stood it up....and recovered my main.:D
The reserve connected to D Rings on the main lift webs and also had bottom corner webbing with clips that tied it down around the jumpers hips...one on each side.
The Mini System harness and container also housed a french papillon nicely. same set up for the reserve.

Both harnesses would have been set up with shot and a half releases. and later on, maybe R2's or R 3's...
Wendy is correct that it wouldn't likely fit in a javelin....
i wish i had a scanner , soas to attach some long ago photos....

jimmytavino

a 3914
d 12122

Why the hell not jump it.. i jumped my Papillion up at Lost Prairie about 5 years ago.... Still a great ride:)
I had my rigger pack meup a 24' flat circularreserve from the same vintage.

(my first sport canopy was a Papillion back in the early 70's)

Hi Jimmy,

That fabric was porous, very porous.. That is what allowed for the excellent "sink" characteristic

Let's agree to disagree.

The first ParaCommanders also had a very porous apex material; but they did not sink as stable as a Pap would.

IMO ( and I could be wrong ) most folks back in those days thought the stable sink was due to the radial slots in the PAP, which the ParaCommander ( in any form ) never had; well, maybe Pioneer's Russian version but I know little of that canopy.

As I say, 'I could be wrong' & you could be completely correct. :)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Amazon

I saw your "stuff" (pc, pap) at LP. IMO it was cherry and will last another 40 yr's:)
The picture of the pap on ebay looked "well used".All the gear that was posted by the seller was way over priced IMO.

But it just takes one bidder and if thats what the gear is going for:S:oB|.

Your collection of rounds is priceless;)

R.