guineapiggie101

All healed up

Yeppers!!!!Cool

Doc says I am healing very well and very quickly. He says my progress is phenomenal, considering, for a lot of people, it takes at least 4 months to even begin to be able to put weight on the leg. I got my boot off a few weeks ago and started walking and doing normal things with the leg.

Got x-rayed today again and you can barely see the fracture and there is a lot of new bone growth. Will do PT, but don't have to see doc again for 2 months.

And I have the green light to go back to normal activity (aka jumping again).

I am going to take it slow and not jump for another month or more, but, as of now, I can go back to skydiving, if I want.

I am stoked :)

I'm not sure if I am coming back though. I need to work on the fear aspect. If I can overcome the "anxiety", I will think about it, but that is key. But, as of now, I am pretty healed up. :)

In my experience, if you want to get back on the horse, you need to do it as soon as possible (obviously not against medical advice). When I was 16 I got pretty screwed up in a motorcycle accident and went all winter and most of the next summer without riding to recover. I told my dad I didn't know if I wanted to ride again because I was scared and he basically gave me a swift kick in the ass and said get your ass back on that bike and I've been riding ever since. Everyday that goes by thinking about it makes it worse and worse, so just put the fear aside and make that leap.

Wow that looks like a lot of metal. I broke my foot from my motorcycle got 2 plates and about 8 screws... nothing like that. Anyway i still ride, i am sure you can get back on the horse as they say.B|

you going to set off metal detectors at airports?

you make me feel lucky :Di almost lost my foot 6 months ago in a motorcycle accident. Got the 4 wires screwed into my foot removed on the 16th of august, finally got to put weight on it end of that month and doing physio now but no metal:D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Some pictures (not x-rays) a bit further up... ya know, without clothing, so we can check out the rest of ya. :)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Right now I am open to the idea of coming back to jumping solo, but I want to make sure I deal with my anxiety issues first, since that is integral to what caused me to have my accident.

So far, I'm doing tandems and I have fun with them. I am NOT ruling anything out at this time.

My PT is going well (almost done with that too). :)

Glad you are healing up. Brians book is a good read.

Don't pressure yourself though. If you are so nervous that it is causing you to screw up find ways of reducing the anxiety. Increased knowledge and skills are a very good way. So if it is freefall then get good in a tunnel. If it is canopy flight then perhaps learning to paraglide would help.

For some people it just takes time to grow into themselves. I jumped from 16 to 20 years old. I was tenacious, but thoroughly terrified. I used to pray on the way to altitude that if I didn't die I would give up. Once I opened the canopy though I was ecstatic. I took a 15 year break and during that time I got relatively good in the tunnel. I always wanted to get back in the air. When I started again, ALL the fear was gone. Now it is nervous anticipation on the way to altitude, but not mind numbing fear.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm not pressuring myself to jump on the horse again quickly. I would like to do solos again, I really would. I love being in the sky. But, first things first, I NEED to find ways to keep my anxiety in check, since that anxiety causes me to panic, and make the wrong decisions, thus leading to my accident in July.

Only when I can find an efficient way to keep my anxiety under control, will I return to doing solos.

I panic too easily and too quickly.

In solos for awhile, make it a goal to have as few new things on a jump as possible, so that you can really focus on relaxing some and enjoying the jump. Once you feel like you're adding to a store of knowledge, rather than trying to pull out what you know from your memory, it'll feel better.

And if that means more tandems until you're consistently doing the landings yourself, great. And I would suggest really, really practicing PLF's, so that you're always ready to roll out a landing.

Most of us oldies got that way because we were able to roll out a landing when we needed to; I'm not committed to standing them up unless they're perfect.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am still a student (freshly off AFF status when my accident occurred). I am assuming that if I do return to the sport, that I will have to repeat one or two AFF levels before I will be allowed to do solos towards my license.

Can tandems really be used to practice landings and PLFs??? If that is possible, I might do a few tandems so I can work on that kind of stuff and get the fear out of jumping.

I NEED to work on PLF's since I am pretty sure, if I did a PLF with my botched jump, I probably would have walked away with no broken bones.

I was taught to do the PLF but I never did it really well.

I still am not sure, right now, if I am going to come back and finish out my "A" license.

For now, I am just happy, that I have the option.

"

... I NEED to work on PLF's since I am pretty sure, if I did a PLF with my botched jump, I probably would have walked away with no broken bones.

I was taught to do the PLF but I never did it really well. ...

The best way to learn PLFs is to find an old instructor (old enough to have jumped round parachutes) - and a grassy field - and roll around in the grass for a half hour.

If you are doing tandems to have fun...
then have fun and enjoy the sky.

If you are doing tandems to get ready for solos...
then I hope you are or will make sure that the instructor challenges you by having you make more & more of the decisions.

He'll be along for the ride (maybe assisting with toggles) while the pressure is on you to choose the pattern and fly it. Work out the anxieties and questions about how to do things, with an instructor there with you.

The best way to learn PLFs is to find an old instructor (old enough to have jumped round parachutes) - and a grassy field - and roll around in the grass for a half hour.

Telling a female jumper to go and roll in the hay with an instructor for half an hour, sounds more like relationship advice than plf advice:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm not pressuring myself to jump on the horse again quickly. I would like to do solos again, I really would. I love being in the sky. But, first things first, I NEED to find ways to keep my anxiety in check, since that anxiety causes me to panic, and make the wrong decisions, thus leading to my accident in July.

Only when I can find an efficient way to keep my anxiety under control, will I return to doing solos.

I panic too easily and too quickly.

I'd also strongly recommend talking to your doctor about getting the metal out first.
If you have another incident and the metal is still in place, it *can* cause things to become significantly worse.
Congrats on the clearance!
As mentioned above, I highly recommend some sessions with Brian Germain.

"

... I NEED to work on PLF's since I am pretty sure, if I did a PLF with my botched jump, I probably would have walked away with no broken bones.

That probably won't help her land very much, but it'll make that instructors day!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I did talk to my doc yesterday about jumping and whether I need to get the metal out or not. He tells me that the metal can stay in for now, since it doesn't seem to bother me.

I am changing medical insurances in Jan., so I probably will go get a 2nd opinion about whether the metal should stay in or not.

While doing tandems, I've noticed that I am REALLY afraid to land on my hurt leg. I am still babying that leg. I am afraid to land on that leg since it is still a bit tender.

I am going to get in touch with Brian Germain and see if I can get some sessions with him on dealing with anxiety.

Before I can come back to doing solos, I HAVE to calm my anxiety down so I can make on-the-spot decisions that can affect my safety while skydiving.

Right now, I am going to use tandems to help me with dealing with and getting comfortable with landing patterns and flaring for my landing.

I am very excited about coming back.

I did talk to my doc yesterday about jumping and whether I need to get the metal out or not. He tells me that the metal can stay in for now, since it doesn't seem to bother me.

Read the "disabilities" forum and see how many folks waited to get the hardware out, and how many others wish they had (including me) prior to jumping again. Bones break, metal bends and shatters bone perhaps damaging bones to a point that they cannot be fully repaired. I speak from personal experience in motocross and rodeo (not to mention the skydiving metal I've had installed).

Before I can come back to doing solos, I HAVE to calm my anxiety down so I can make on-the-spot decisions that can affect my everyone's safety while skydiving.

Collisions and low turns can happen when loss of awareness or panic set in, and either of these can impact another skydiver.

Doing tandems is a really great thing. Good thing you have so many TI's ready to take ya, and the hot guys wanting to do RW with you.B|;)

Work one fear at a time. Start some tunnel training right now to relax and get more comfortable. When you come back to the DZ start with some canopy piloting course. By the time you finish it you should feel more than comfortable to combine both
Have fun!:)

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

"

That probably won't help her land very much, but it'll make that instructors day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqClWdOcWog
roll in the hay.:)