loch1957

When did you know?

1. When I landed from my first jump

2. After I was off of student status I started looking for a used rig. I knew I'd progress down in size of my main. I kept that first rig for a couple of years until I knew what I wanted, then I bought new.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Set-up a jump weekend with 27 friends & family, some ex-military, & EVERYONE backed out. My 1st jump was the start of my AFF course with my daughter, only person who went with me, sitting in on my training & answering questions, knowing what to do for certain mals, etc. In short; I was hooked before I got to DZ & looking for gear now!
Hooked to Blue Skies!

After touching ground from my first tandem! I knew then that this was the best thing I had ever done in my life and that I needed to do it again, and again, and again! I had to drag my friends and family into it too!

I had a great instructor (Dan Flinton) who was full of energy and very enthusiastic! The whole idea didn't quite sink in until that door opened... and by then, I was thinking, "oh shit, I'm really doing this.. lets do this!"

After my first tandem, I finally convinced some friends to do a tandem when I did my 2nd tandem, I got to do backflips off of the strut. A couple of the friends from the group absolutely had to go a 2nd time in the same day because they wanted to do backloops too!

One of the friends I took with is already B-licensed! (I don't have the money like he does to put into the sport, so I have to gradually progress). People call me his skydiving wife.

I have successfully taken my mother and older brother twice too! They loved it, but they will only stick to tandems. Not me! I need that sense of freedom, that feeling of being alive, and my way of relieving stress from school! Gee, I think I got carried away here... sorry about that!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

I was curious. At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping? And after how many did you start looking for a rig?

Haven't decided for sure yet...giving it a bit more time.

Sometimes it just seems silly, a huge waste of time & money.

On the other hand, there's something about the feel of sweaty spandex against my skin that is oh so addicting.

~As for me, I bought my 1st rig before my 3rd jump, but couldn't use it until I was off static-line T-10's and cleared for free-fall a few jumps later.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping?

I was camping at a lake next to a big mountain in the cascade mountains with friends. The lake is at the bottom of a pretty imposing 3000 foot cliff.

We were drinking beer, fuckin around when we heard what sounded like a rock slide. We looked up and saw someone under canopy directly above us, maybe a few hundred feet up.

That's when I saw a black spec racing away from the cliff across the sky. For a good 15-20 seconds we watched them cover a pretty good distance before they deployed and landed on the other side of the lake.

We didn't know it at the time but obviously it is an object the local BASE community frequents. I decided then and there that I needed to try skydiving.

After finances allowed, I did a static line jump and decided after I landed that this was for me.

So I knew before jump 1 ;)

I was curious. At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping? And after how many did you start looking for a rig?

As soon as I saw that T-10 over my head on my first static line jump, caught my breath, and saw the beautiful sky all around me and the earth at my feet. Such a feeling of freedom and control.

I replied earlier (a month or two ago) that I found it exciting (if scary) and still wasn't sure...

...around the same time I switched my desktop photo to one taken at my local DZ- the view out the door at jump run.

At first I got nervous every time I saw it. ("I know those landmarks! They mean I have to jump out of the plane! Yikes")

As time went by I thought it was cool. ("Look! There's the golf course, the stadium, the runway, the housing tract...)

Then I got the news that I might need to move far away, where the weather wasn't skydive friendly. [:/]
While deciding if I was "ok" with this, I glanced at the desktop photo and found myself getting misty eyed.
Leave that? No way!

So it looks like I'm in this for good.

My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I understand that very well. My first jump was great, landing how ever was uhm not so graceful. I knew after first jump, scuffed knees and all I wasn't quitting. Still amazes me that I did it to just prove I had balls to actually do it, never would have thought I actually look forward to it even on days we are rained out.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

I knew enough that, when offered the choice between a certificate and a (a real one -- not the 5-jump logbook that used to be popular for students) logbook for my first jump, I took the logbook.

Looking for a rig? I was a fulltime student and rentals were cheap then. It was over 2 years before I bought gear. I did have loaner gear for awhile, that helped.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I never conciously thought of taking up jumping, because after leaving the strut on jump #1 the thought of quitting just never occurred to me.

It just seemed to be the normal thing to do......

Bought gear in bits, prolly was about 70 or 80 jumps before I had a full set...first main canopy was a Delta 2 Wing........everyone told me I was gonna die...yet I never had a mal on it in over 200 jumps.

And no, I don't miss the old B4 with 1 1/2 shots, or the wing, OR my belly mounted 24 ft twill.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....