loch1957

When did you know?

...Sure wish I had my Wonderhog rig back...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Still enjoying mine. The reaction of younger jumpers is loads of fun. B|

I knew I was hooked during & after that first jump, under a static-line T-10. Sat there with my broken ankle thinking "WOW That was wonderful!"

Cheers,
Jon S.

...Sure wish I had my Wonderhog rig back...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Still enjoying mine. The reaction of younger jumpers is loads of fun. B|

That a wonderhog rig?
If yes: Some folks here still jump SPEKON rigs. They built (and still build) RS 16/3 canopies which are f*cking good for accuracy. The rigs, however are... well, at least not really suited for freefly, so to say :P

I knew I was hooked during & after that first jump, under a static-line T-10. Sat there with my broken ankle thinking "WOW That was wonderful!"

Cheers,
Jon S.

My first "real" jump was with a round, too. But that one was steerable at least and allowed for a somewhat decent landing, PLF provided. Was an RS/4 which was similar to rounds jumped by East German paratroopers (who jumped RS/8 or RS/9) Didn't broke anything but didn't like jumping S/L and rounds any more after jump 5 and opted for AFF :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I was curious. At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping?

Maybe this sounds kinda funny but after my 2nd jump. Started right away with AFF and was kinda on sensory overload after that first jump. It went ok but so was very different than I expected. Was pretty nervous for my 2nd AFF jump but it went great and didn't have nearly the overload as jump 1. When I got down from that one I was like, "f-yeah, this rocks"

And after how many did you start looking for a rig?

Started looking after getting my A. Wanted to wait until I'd reached a point where I thought I'd be jumping the same size canopy for quite awhile. Got my first (and still only) rig about 40 jumps.

ZMC
"Whatever the future holds down the road, being true to yourself is something you won't ever regret doing. " - airtwardo

Paid for the the AFF package before going through the FJC. Bought my rig around jump 20 and after having some mods/repairs completed, made first jump on it for jump 36. Put about 500 jumps on it and still have it for water jumps or as a loaner.

I'm a firm believer in buying starter gear early. Get as many jumps on it as you can before buying matchy matchy gear. There will be another noob looking for starter gear that you can sell it at a lower price due to wear and tear and still come out ahead compaired to the cost of renting. The gear just needs to be safe for the type of jumping you plan to do. The gear you want to stay away from is where you will be the final owner. Meaning no one else will want to buy it unless the price is so low you take a huge hit on the resale. I have some gutter gear. But the price was sooooo cheap, I don't care if it just sits in the closet. I might eventually find a use for it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I was curious. At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping? And after how many did you start looking for a rig?

I knew before I started jumping.
I wanted to jump when I was 16 but my folks would nod sign the waiver. So I had to wait until 18
Onward and Upward!

In either 1964 or 65 Wide World of Sports covered the Parachuting championships live. I was all of 6 or 7 and knew that someday I wanted to do what I was seeing on TV. 14 years later I got my chance...
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I knew I wanted to jump since the 3rd grade. Saw skydiving on TV, always had dreams of running down big hills into the wind and taking flight (more like PGing), so I decided to jump belly first off the top of the gym bleechers in 3rd grade, landed, broke and fractured my middle finger. My first BASE jumpB|.

18 years old did a tandem (first time ever on any plane), loved it! Talked to a few jumpers and realized I couldn't afford it. Got into flying planes via my neighbor (pilot/instructor), so I got to fly on the cheap.

Fast forward 11 years, got out of debt so I could be a jumper. Bought my alti, helmet and goggles after my first AFF jump. Bought other gear soon after AFF (per recommendations of my instructors).

In about 400-500 jumps I hope to make my first real BASE jump, my middle finger keeps reminding me.

Well I glad I'm not only one got sucked in so easy. I just intended to make one jump to prove I could.

Yeah, like a drug dealer,, one time and they suck you in !!! ha ha !!!
Watching Ripcord as a little kid and never missing an episode. Watching and talking to Golden Knights at the Oklahoma State Fair ! Jumping off the roof with an orange 8 foot cargo chute that I mail ordered for $3.50. ( That didn't work out too good, but at least I got good at PLF's. ) I think my Mom knew I was a nut when that box arrived at the house.
After opening up a good T-10 on jump number 1 at age 20. After my first freefall on jump 6 from 3500 feet, Terry Chavez was my instructor and he said: Don't worry, you will be fine, you have 1,000 to pull before you even get to 2,500 ! Called McElfish Parachute service after jump 15 and he made me a good deal on a used Thunderbow instead of a new Paracommander. Not bad, but fairly soon I ordered a new PC, it just flew quite a bit better, IMO.

You guys and gals are a trip. Thanks for being friendly and open. Makes me feel not quite as stupid as my friends and family seem to think. My only regret is I waited till I was 50 to try it.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

I was like, "f-yeah, this rocks"

Yep, you're sooo Zen. :P

Authenticism of emotion and embracing the direct experience of the present are some of the hallmarks of zen :P

But who cares . . we're all here b/c we each had that first jump where our brains lit up like a light bulb and our world has never been quite the same since :)
Cheers,
ZMC
"Whatever the future holds down the road, being true to yourself is something you won't ever regret doing. " - airtwardo

Hi 57LimaHotel,
Funny you should mention that? You call this sport a "Hobby??" To some it may be but.... As for "Knowing when.." I'd have to say at that point about 3 seconds off the strut of Milt Nobels' Cessna 170 when the sound of the plane disipated into the distance, I heard myself counting out loud,"3-THOUSAND!!," and the canopy caught air and opened!! That was it. Already had some gear, a B-4 harness and container, a canopy that I needed to modify, got a sleeve from Ben Seal a few daze later. That was on my 1st jump, 08MAY1964. The rest is history!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I was curious. At what jump did you decide to keep this hobby of jumping? And after how many did you start looking for a rig?

1. The moment I landed from my first jump.

2. Within days.

+1

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.