pilot-one

Aggieland closing......Damn

I'm in a precarious spot about commenting my opinions in full detail, but the short version is that the city has big dreams of a destination jet port (with Coulter's 4300ft runway).

As someone who flies business jets, I can tell you that very few jet owner/operators will ever take their aircraft into a 4300 ft runway. Very few biz jets even have the performance numbers to operate in and out of that short of a runway. And if the aircraft is operated under FAR Part 135 the additional runway length requirements will almost certainly prevent them from going in and out of there. And that's even in clear, dry conditions! If it's wet and/or the visibility goes down you will never get in there.

Sounds stupid to me. :S

I'm trying to think of anything other than maybe a Phenom, Mustang, or a Citation I that could make balanced field length above ISA on that runway. Someone should let these local airport managers know. My dropzone moved under exactly these circumstances and the original airport has seen a marked decrease in traffic and now fuel sales.

Someone should let these local airport managers know

I can tell you that not only the DZ owner but a large group of current users have tried to voice the facts and come to a understanding with those who seek to ruin this airport, however some people just have their head so far up their ass they will never see the light of day nor be able to read or understand any facts that don't meet with their agenda and such is the case here.

This owner could have won the war but would have to deal with a couple of years of harassment and damage to his business that could have cost 10K or more in legal expense alone & not counting the loss of income.

So it is more cost effective to close up shop and sell off the assets or even move the operation then it would be to deal with city leaders & airport mangers who have their head up their ass & crazy dreams of some super jet port and big fed funded improvements. And in this case, it's even more retarded because of the other two airports close by, one of those being less then 10 miles down the road that currently serves as the regional jet port & commuter hub.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

There's always Hearne up the road. Used to be a roaming DZ there in the 70's.

Wendy P.

-------------------------------------------
Hey Wendy, you read my mind.

I lived with my uncle during summer of '80 about a mile down the street from Hearne airport. I remember seeing the chutes on weekends there. My Uncle was surprised that my 17 year old butt didn't demand a jump!! :)

So, what about Hearne Field?

Todd is our Gulf Region Director, so I imagine he's at least spoken to those folks.

OK ... they WILL be operating on the 20th, so let's all get up there and give them a good sendoff party saturday night!! If anyone has access to additional lift capacity, please consider working on it, since a single 182 isn't going to get a lot of jumps done, and there may be tandems that need to get taken care of as well! I'm planning to get up there that friday (19th) if possible ...

Also ... keep those cards and letters coming (so to speak!) ... send comments to the mayor and city council at: [email protected]
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Todd is our Gulf Region Director, so I imagine he's at least spoken to those folks.

OK ... they WILL be operating on the 20th, so let's all get up there and give them a good sendoff party saturday night!! If anyone has access to additional lift capacity, please consider working on it, since a single 182 isn't going to get a lot of jumps done, and there may be tandems that need to get taken care of as well! I'm planning to get up there that friday (19th) if possible ...

Also ... keep those cards and letters coming (so to speak!) ... send comments to the mayor and city council at: [email protected]

If you can produce the bodies, I'd bet Boyd and Alkek would bring out a turbine. Pretty sure there's a Skyvan or two in their hangar.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Chuck ... as you know, I'm ignorant about such ... roughly what would it likely take in terms of jumpers/jumps/loads to cover costs? I sure wouldn't want or expect Todd to risk being out anything to bring in a turbine, but it would be nice if everyone who wants to is able to jump. To be honest, I was thinking more in terms of a 2nd 182 or maybe a 206. I know it's the weekend still, so people haven't responded, but so far I don't know of enough confirmed showing up to do it. I think that would probably change if we were able to announce that a plane will be there if the jumpers are.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

... the city has big dreams of a destination jet port (with Coulter's 4300ft runway).

I think that every manager of a small GA airport has tried to sell his town on this line of crap. They are all convinced that they've hit the big-time. Very few of them actually make that jump, but don't know that until they have run off their existing tenants.

When I was at A&M, there was no local jumping. We had to go to Austin to skydive. For Aggies, that's a real kick in the nads.[:/]

Kevin K.

Well - in defense of Coulter Field - it is a really long drive to get to Easterwood.:|:S

Article in the paper>:(

Riiiiight - New perspective!
Didin't want to run them out of business.
Riiiight

I wonder if they realize what they are saying?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This is a darned shame.

I have fond memories of Aggieland, and the former Aggies Over Texas run by the Haskett's.

When I first moved from Florida to Houston in 1990, I was an experienced jumper with 1,000 jumps. Yet I found myself an outcast at Old Spaceland, because nobody knew me. The jumpers there were very clique-ish, and they didn't invite new guys on loads. I found myself jumping alone a lot. And when I tried to present a ticket to an organizer to get on a load, I was often rejected because they didn't know me.

So I went looking for some place more friendly, and the the next closest drop zone was AOT. It was just a small two C-182 drop zone, but I was welcomed with open arms, and got to jump with everyone, no questions asked. I loved the way they ran things, and the close personal touch they gave their students and jumpers.

It was so friendly that I was actually a bit shocked one evening, when Mary Haskett stripped down to her underwear to change clothes at the end of the day, right there in the hanger with everyone around. Now, Mary is a good-looking woman, and it was hard not to stare. Okay, I peeked a lot. But that episode made me realize just how much like family they considered everyone to be. She wasn't doing it in front of a bunch of strangers, but rather in front of people that were like her own brothers and sisters. So she did it without a second thought.

I spent quite a bit of time jumping with AOT. And eventually I got to be known and accepted, and drifted back to the big Spaceland Otter drop zone, and started making in-roads into acceptance, with my AOT background.

Todd has continued that old-fashioned friendly atmosphere which I so love.

I hate to see him run off, but that's part of the life cycle of a skydiving center. Many of the places I've jumped in the past 30 years no longer exist. Drop zones come and go.

So I hate to see Aggieland closing down. But I hope that Todd will be happy and successful in whatever new ventures he undertakes. And if he opens up again somewhere else, I'll come visit every now and then.

I gave some one special a "fruit loop" over the skies of Aggieland ;)

Yup, Aggieland was worth the roadtrip.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I gave some one special a "fruit loop" over the skies of Aggieland ;)

Yup, Aggieland was worth the roadtrip.

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

THis kind of stuff absolutely breaks my heart. I've seen several Airports in the midwest, with weenie elected officials, decide that they are going to turn their 3,00' runway into a private jet destination point, and the first step is to always run off the skydivers.

Blue Skies, Aggieland.
=========Shaun ==========

Update:
Bryan's Coulter Airfield Looking To Extend Runway

"Landing in the red is something Bryan's Coulter Airfield has been trying to avoid for several years.

"Since the city started managing the airport in April of 2010, it's been losing money.

"Instead of closing or selling the airport, the city recommends the airport keep growing and expanding... The city is looking into increasing the 4,000 feet runway by 1,000 feet, and that would allow faster aircraft like jets to use the airport...

"The city is also looking at increasing the hangar prices by 30% to 70%..."
Full story: KBTX

News:
Bryan raises hangar rates at Coulter Airfield

Over the objections of recreational pilots who worry they are being pushed out of their municipal airport, the Bryan City Council on Tuesday voted to increase airplane hangar rates at Coulter Airfield...

The pilots said that shifting the scope of the airport is unnecessary with Texas A&M's Easterwood Airport less than a mile from the Bryan city limits. And some have questioned whether the increase in hangar rates is the first step in an effort to force them out.

Monthly rates will increase by an average of about $360, or 32 percent...
Full story: The Eagle

News:

Bryan raises hangar rates at Coulter Airfield

Over the objections of recreational pilots who worry they are being pushed out of their municipal airport, the Bryan City Council on Tuesday voted to increase airplane hangar rates at Coulter Airfield...

The pilots said that shifting the scope of the airport is unnecessary with Texas A&M's Easterwood Airport less than a mile from the Bryan city limits. And some have questioned whether the increase in hangar rates is the first step in an effort to force them out.

Monthly rates will increase by an average of about $360, or 32 percent...
Full story: The Eagle

I take it Councilman Art Hughes isn't an aircraft owner.

Yup. And the home owners and ranch owners in the area are VERY displeased. They're organizing against the city on this one.

Is AOPA involved?

No idea, but knowing some of the aircraft owners at Coulter, I would venture to guess that the AOPA has been contacted.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I may be a little mean hearted relative to this since they caused a place that I really liked to close, but when Todd posted that article on FB and I read that they are now losing money, my first reaction was of joy ... LOL! If I remember correctly, I was told that the dz was the largest fuel purchaser on the airport. It will be interesting to watch this unfold, especially if they do spend the money to lengthen the runway.