loch1957

OK that rea;;y hurt !

Well I finally did it, Saturday in Lexington. OK I am officially over my fear of plunging to earth, well maybe not quite yet. Everything went well except that terribly ugly landing. Didnt flare soon enough but that wont happen again I hope. So heres the video, giggle all you want, It was a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5lObDTZDl8
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Congratulations on your first jump! They will get better from here.

On a side note: I know it is hot in Texas this time of year, but a jump suit will help protect you from some of those rough landings. Kinda surprised they didn't provide you with one...

Well it was offered. As bad as it looks it was really a mild fall. I did however learn a very good lesson, never depend on a radio to tell you to flare. I couldn't hear it but she did say flare, Bad thing is I knew I should flare but was thinking She will tell me,,,,,,,,and she was trying. But it was a great time, and its not my last jump, but hopefully its last mistake of that kind.

On side note, the people Garry, James Cindy and videographer (cant remember his name) were great. Took their time answered questions and all in all were very professional. Thanks to them all.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Congratulations on your first jump! They will get better from here.

On a side note: I know it is hot in Texas this time of year, but a jump suit will help protect you from some of those rough landings. Kinda surprised they didn't provide you with one...

Yep! That was my first thought too, when I saw the video. I, too, was S/L trained, so I know that the jumpsuit isn't necessary for a successful exit, but the added protection for landings....

loch1957: Congratulations! Welcome! You now belong to a group that 99% of the population wishes they belong to. B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

loving the soundtrack!

:D:D:D

other than that, OUCH!!!

maybe you should really get one of 'em jumpsuits when they're offered already.. :)
as for the landing(s).. well, we've all probably been there; it gets better! ;)

WELCOME!

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

some long jeans and a sweatshirt would probably already do the trick.. if there's nothing else available..

i even wear gloves all during my jumping, maybe not allowed for students, but still, something to consider.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed it! B|

for other SL instructors - that's the first time I've ever seen outside video done on a SL. It didn't look to me like it was much more useful than the instructor wearing a camera helmet, and seems to add potential complications to the jump.

I know from going through it that a video debrief is a really valuable tool for a SL student - any thoughts on the best way to video them?

If you really aren't sure, land on half brakes. You'll prolly fall over, but you should land OK. Never rely on a radio for anything.

You should plan your jump assuming you don't have one, and thats how you should have been trained.

A working radio should be regarded as a bonus, not as an essential.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I never realized there was such a separation between ppl that try extreme stuff and the ones that wont try. I have learned my lesson about telling friends or family about my jump, unless they show an interest. . I'v gotten every response from "your stupid" , "grow up and act your age", Was even told "you deserved to get your knees scuffed up". Well for the record I'm not going to grow up!!!!!!

DAMMIT that was fun !!!!!!!!!! uhm ok I'll drop it now, I guess I'm not the first noob that was hooked, Thanks for the support and criticisms, it takes both to keep this safe and fun.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned it here yet, but if you would have had a total on your main, that T-shirt may have blown up and covered your handles. I think you would be much better served wearing a proper jump suit for safety if nothing else.
On a lighter note, I didn't jump until my 40th birthday. Never let them bring in the age thing. Just jump, jump, jump!!! Good on ya!
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

II have learned my lesson about telling friends or family about my jump, unless they show an interest. . I'v gotten every response from "your stupid" , "grow up and act your age",

Isn't that funny? Yes, you're exactly right. Most of them think it's cool but they'll never admit it. B|

If you stick with it you'll make a whole bunch of new friends, so no worries.B|

Being a big guy, landings are going to be a little tougher for you than others, but you'll certainly get better if you listen to your instructors. Also, you're correct in saying the radio isn't perfect. Review with your instructors on "no radio" canopy control and talk to them about flaring on your own. Good luck.

I never realized there was such a separation between ppl that try extreme stuff and the ones that wont try. I have learned my lesson about telling friends or family about my jump, unless they show an interest. . I'v gotten every response from "your stupid" , "grow up and act your age", Was even told "you deserved to get your knees scuffed up". Well for the record I'm not going to grow up!!!!!!

Good stuff on your jump!
I can relate to the effort it took to stand up after landing.
:D:D

Act your age?
"Ha! I AM acting my age...old enough to know what I what I want out of life and smart enough to go get it!"
Score one for the old farts!
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't believe anyone has mentioned it here yet, but if you would have had a total malfunction requiring EPs of some sort on your main, that T-shirt may have blown up and covered your handles. I think you would be much better served wearing a proper jump suit for safety if nothing else.

FIFY but you beat me to it. Safety is what's it's about.
Good stuff, Caz.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The jump was a birthday gift from my sister, the video was her only request. She didn't think i would do it. It took a lot to stand up, but them I'm some what stubborn.