b0red88

What happens after AFF

What happens after you pass the AFF course, but before you get 25 jumps in and your A-License?

I've been looking into Skydive Arizona for my AFF since it's only an hour away, but I don't want to spend $3500 to get my A-License.

They have AFF course with a few extra coach jumps / redos for about $1900 - If i choose that route for the AFF, than what type jumps do I make up until my A-License? Do they still need to be coach jumps thus costing my $3500 anyways?

You will still need to do at least 5 coach jumps. You will also need to rent gear and take a packing class. Those costs can add up. Check to see if the $3500 includes gear rental, coach jumps, and packing lessons. It might be a better deal than you think.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

There is no easy way to answer this because drop zones differ radically in how they handle those post-AFF, pre-A license jumps. Sometimes it is very structured still and sometimes it isn't.

One side effect is that makes it hard to comparison shop on price because you may not be comparing apples to apples.

You have to look at the drop zones you are interested in and ask questions and figure out what the total cost is going to be and then weigh that against factos like convenience. It is nice to train where you are going to end up jumping.

I would suggest that you can get to an A license for cheaper than $3500 but that is not out of line if it is all inclusive. Some "cheaper" package deals might include travel with associated costs, too.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

What happens after you pass the AFF course, but before you get 25 jumps in and your A-License?

I've been looking into Skydive Arizona for my AFF since it's only an hour away, but I don't want to spend $3500 to get my A-License.

They have AFF course with a few extra coach jumps / redos for about $1900 - If i choose that route for the AFF, than what type jumps do I make up until my A-License? Do they still need to be coach jumps thus costing my $3500 anyways?

Take $3500 to Lodi Ca and you can get your B in a week or two.

http://www.parachutecenter.com/

Depends on the DZ. Some have one AFF course that includes (and you pay for) an entire series of jumps after you complete the actual AFF training regimen. Some call those jumps as part of the AFF training regimen, some don't.

Some DZs have a different training structure. You can complete the AFF training program in a few a 7 jumps and then be released for self supervision which means you can jump by yourself, jump with instructors/coaches, jump with D-license people. All optional and no requirement for paying others to jump with you. In fact, some DZs have people who will gladly jump with you at no cost to you after your AFF training.

So, it depends on how the training program is structured at that DZ.

There is no requirement that you get a license of any sort.
You can complete the AFF 7-level program and off you go.

Now, that's all well and good...up to a point. It's not advisable to do that but you can.

Technically, you wouldn't be able to jump with friends unless they met the requirements for ratings or license. And, in the long run, you would be limited on what skydiving events (boogies) your could participate/jump in...most have license requirements and the minimum would be the A license. No license, no jump at the boogie.

As far as what type of jumps you could do before A license - anything you wanted....with prior approval of the DZO, the S&TA, the instructors or whoever is running the place.

Again, you don't have to.
-Other DZs are less costly
-Other DZs have different training structures
-Other DZs have different training methods entirely (AFF vs Static line, for example)

Now, none of that is to be taken as derogatory to Arizona. They have an excellent training program. It's just simply that others do it differently and at less cost.

Personally, I invite you to Skydive the Farm here in Rockmart,GA. You'll find us very accommodating and we have very, very competitive rates. We're more about the fun than the money.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"Graduating from AFF" doesn't really mean anything in the big picture. You are a student skydiver until you have at least 25 skydives and have COMPLETELY filled in your A-License proficiency card. If you were not told that right up front, in your FJC, then I feel bad for you.

Skydiving IS expensive and it will never be anything other than that. Initial training is expensive, follow-up training (coaching), gear rental, and gear purchase is expensive. Jump tickets are expensive. The only way to eventually defray the cost of this habit is to become an instructor. Some people are cut out for that; others are not.

I love skydiving and I have been doing it since I was 17 (31 years ago). It's been TOTALLY worth it to me. Hell, my dad is 79, had 1000 jumps when I was born, still skydives, and still thinks he's better looking than me!

Chuck Blue, D-12501
AFF-I, SL-I, TM-I, PRO, S&TA

What happens after you pass the AFF course ...

You meet the hot girl of your dreams, your income goes up, you look better, and you become way smarter. (Either that or you have to drive to the minimart and buy beer; I can't remember which it is at the moment.)
  • Like 1