Deyan

The power of marketing

Look at those 2 videos, read the comments and tell me what do you think ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-FDDahVuQ&list=HL1328209421&feature=mh_lolz

and

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150255643198247&set=o.64761516148&type=2&theater

Cheers ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Not sure what you mean by "the power of marketing". Just looks like a couple skyhook deployments to me.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Not sure what you mean by "the power of marketing". Just looks like a couple skyhook deployments to me.

Hi Chuck,

Let me explain better. What we see on these videos are not skyhook deployments. We see normal RSL deployments on Skyhook equipped rigs.
Or if I have to say it otherwise , we see Skyhook failing to do it's job.

Now, If I have to be honest I'm not really surprised by the Skyhook failures. We know that they happen quite often. What I'm surprised is that those guys paid 250 $ for a safety system, had a failure on that system and didn't even noticed it . Not only that, but assuming that they had the system performing its best, they've made a comment how great the system was.

The Skyhook failures are about 10 %. But those 10 % are estimate on situations where the jumper saw it fail. I'm wondering now based on the videos if this percentage isn't much higher.

Or even if I'm wrong, even if those 10 % failures are only in my head and the real percentage is let say 5 % (because I don't believe the factory .2 % estimation ) , the question remain. "How is possible to have a safety system with such a high malfunction ratio, and people still go crazy about it ?"

The power of marketing! That's how :S
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Looks like the Skyhook started the process and the reserve pilot chute finished. The RPC is not inflated at all until almost full bridle extention.

I agree, looks to me like it is working "as advertised".

I see no need for the OP to grind an ax over it.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Looks like the Skyhook started the process and the reserve pilot chute finished. The RPC is not inflated at all until almost full bridle extention.

Matt

How is it 'supposed' to work?

I thought the main & free-bag were to stay together during & all the way through reserve deployment?

Is it designed to release at full extension?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Matt

What? The main disconnected before pulling the freebag to linestretch. How is that working "as advertised"?
BASE 1384

Matt

How is it 'supposed' to work?

I thought the main & free-bag were to stay together during & all the way through reserve deployment?

It should if it worked. Maybe mr Sherman isn't off his rocker in claiming pc vs sky hook deployment times are nill / insignificant.

Placebo effect?

Hi Chuck,

Let me explain better. What we see on these videos are not skyhook deployments. We see normal RSL deployments on Skyhook equipped rigs.
Or if I have to say it otherwise , we see Skyhook failing to do it's job.

Now, If I have to be honest I'm not really surprised by the Skyhook failures. We know that they happen quite often. What I'm surprised is that those guys paid 250 $ for a safety system, had a failure on that system and didn't even noticed it . Not only that, but assuming that they had the system performing its best, they've made a comment how great the system was.

The Skyhook failures are about 10 %. But those 10 % are estimate on situations where the jumper saw it fail. I'm wondering now based on the videos if this percentage isn't much higher.

Or even if I'm wrong, even if those 10 % failures are only in my head and the real percentage is let say 5 % (because I don't believe the factory .2 % estimation ) , the question remain. "How is possible to have a safety system with such a high malfunction ratio, and people still go crazy about it ?"

The power of marketing! That's how :S

I have no dog in this fight, as I don't use a skyhook, or even an RSL for that matter.

That said, you could call these a "failure" of the skyhook, but I think it's short-sighted not to recognize the possible static-line effect the skyhook has on the pilot chute before it disengages at or near bridle stretch. This presumably does 3 things. It speeds the time to bridle stretch and hence deployment, it greatly minimizes if not completely eliminates the possibility of a horseshoe (at least a horseshoe caused by a lazy pilot chute launch), and...

...it makes Bill a few extra bucks. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The skyhook's failsafe is to function as a normal RSL, its held in by a hook with an open end, and it has to be able to release the RSL to the riser from the reserve bridle or you wouldn't be able to deploy your reserve manually, your choice. You throw a piece of cord on an open ended hook into 120mph wind enough times, eventually its going to slip off, its still functioning as a normal RSL (just like it is designed to), its not like people are cutting away and the skyhook is failing to open the reserve container and they have to deploy manually. I love how all these people are so quick to bash a lifesaving invention. I'd love to see bill chime in on this one.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.

See post #10. It is an RSL with the ability to use the main, but will act as a "normal" rsl/reserve deployment if the PC catches enough air.

I think this is just ax grinding, or jealousy. Stupid really, the system works. Didn't we have this same argument 15 years ago about RSL's too?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I love how all these people are so quick to bash a lifesaving invention.

I haven't seen yet a Skyhook saving somebodies life. Have you?!
And that means chop, Skyhook worked as a MARD = < 5 seconds canopy ride. Why 5 seconds?! Because the difference between MARD and RSL is 100 ft which is about 5 seconds under open reserve.

( I expect somebody to point out the canopy collision incident from a few years back where the jumper with the Skyhook survived and the one with the RSL died. But until this moment nobody said that they chopped at the same altitude,. So I can't take this as a example)

I'd love to see bill chime in on this one.

Me too. I'd like to hear how 120sq. ft canopy produced less drag than a meshless PC with 7 inch hole. Maybe is something new I'm not aware of, so I'd like to know. Unlike some people, I'm willing to learn.

The truth is that we don't know why Skyhook disconnects. The funny thing is that even Mr. Booth doesn't know why.
What we know so far is that it disconnects more often than the company will ever admit.

And about the "jealousy" comment from the user under....C'mon dude. Do you really believe that I'm jealous?