Butters

Raising Minimum Deployment Altitudes

...around jump 5 or 6 during AFF, with an emphasis to learn the stall point for both toggle and rears.

...but not to overdo the flare because the stall happens very abruptly with little or no warning...

This concerns me. It seems as though you can stall your student canopies with toggles?

We have ours set up so student cannot stall them with a full flare.
I feel that is safer for students...particularly when they fully flare at 30ft and hold it. Not uncommon for students....ground rush and all that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'd put rear-riser flight down low on the list of things to teach at FJC.

I'd wouldn't put it on the list for a 10th jump ground school. There's too much 'detail', too many 'what ifs' involved in letting a broken steering line stand, and just rear risering it.

However, I would certainly put it into the trainng for a 20th or a 24th jump. Note that both of those numbers are within the requitrements for an A licesne, with the idea being that it should be taught before a jumper is licensed, but it would certainly be later in the training.

Rear riser turns and flairs are part of Cat D ground school and canopy training
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

To answer your question yes and no. I was on a 220 or a 210 the first time I did a full stall and I had to take a couple of wraps to get it there. I also discussed it with my instructors before the jump (which was why I knew to take wraps if it didnt stall from holding down the toggles). Honestly I dont remember exactly when, it was either the last couple of AFF jumps or right afterwards - I know it was in the first 15 jumps.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

That is the impression I have been getting reading along. I thought about this topic when I read about Pat Mooreheads rcord in this month's magazine. It said that due to weather they were hoping for the cloud base to rise above 2000 ft. In fact Pat was quoted as saying all he needed was 2000'. This made me think to myself, should we take away the ability for future experienced sydivers to do something similar? or was it unsafe. Given his experience and ability I think he did just fine.