Atmo Angled Body Piloting

What's your angle?

It's really pretty easy to figure the angle here;

e = energy
m = mass
y = horizon line
o = original angle
n = line formed between head and feet

So, if you really want to know what the angle of Atmo is . . .

M*O*N*E*Y

There you have it!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

It's really pretty easy to figure the angle here;

e = energy
m = mass
y = horizon line
o = original angle
n = line formed between head and feet

So, if you really want to know what the angle of Atmo is . . .

M*O*N*E*Y

Phew... it's not just me getting a strange vibe from this thread. It brings to mind an old memory with a German accent that smelled of unwashed socks that may or may not be headed for space.

Hi Dave,

The description in the FAI rules, is that Atmonauti is any angle between a track (horizontal) and a flock (vertical) so the angles are varied, but preferred to be around 45 degress.

The way the judges are helped in terms of judging criteria is that many moves, docks, transitions in competition are designed to set you up above and below your team mate, where one would expect a burble zone. These moves are only achievable when flying on angle as the burble is behind and away from direction of flight.

Im looking forward to the US skydivers participating at record events such as the ones planned for Dubai this year. It would be great to have you on board with us.

Later, M.
Atmo Body Pilot

Some well know groups refer to (the FAI reference of) atmo as tracing, others as steep tracking. The most common term though is atmo, and the FAI official reference for angle flying (any angel between a track and a flock) as Atmonauti.

Basically, the petition to be presented next year at the IPC and this year to the USPA is to bring angle flying or body piloting under one term of reference. At the moment the FAI preferred reference is Atmo since it is already in the FAI rules documents since 2003.

Ultimately, the objective is for the body piloting community to come together under one reference...and to promote safe angle flying, records and competitions...
Atmo Body Pilot

"tracing" as far as i know it, is a mix of tracking, flocking, head-down.. and it's a term mostly used by our nordic friends. most others would refer to it as "chasing each other around in the sky", or a bit more simple, freeflying! ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Sounds like serious fun times!!!

I do some 'hybrid' skydiving myself, and its awesome fun.

When it comes to comps and records though, I would propose that it is important to distinguish, which is why our judges are kept so busy.

Atmo Body Piloting has had very strict rules to govern comps and records since 2008, and it was these that we presented to the IPC in Buenos Aires...
Atmo Body Pilot

i guess what i'm trying to say is that, it's nothing really new; wingsuiting and the comps that have emerged from that, acrobatic events, even bigways, IS something new.

i like flying "atmo"; i like tracking; i cant fly HD even if my life depended on it so cant comment on that - but you dont have to re-invent the wheel for that.

there are no tracking-comps, no flocking-comps.. why should there be for atmo!?

and yea, marco and his fellows may have exagarated a bit with their re-inventing of physics, plus the "licensing" they provide, which notably, is not free..

sometimes i'm left to think that jumpers of ALL sorts, be them skydivers or BASEjumpers are all after a quick buck. and many of those that want to be paid learned basically FREE. and i really dont like that trend.
we'll end up in a culture where if you have 5 jumps more than the next guy, he has to pay your slot so he can be on your jump.. :S

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Yeah good point, well, in terms of why there should be comps, its rally down to the number of jumpers who want the comps and records and who support comp events and compete.

In South Africa we are about to hold the 5th official Atmo South African National Championships, since atmo is indeed a formal constitutional discipline here.

Instructionals for Atmo here are free, and indeed coaching jumps are cheaper than most since an 8 way or 12 way group coaching load splits my slot amongst them, so it works out really cost effective (one of the reasons we do so many).

Ultimately even if it isnt new, which it isnt, its about the willingness to compete, and the structure of the competitions. FAI judges advice and assisted with the development and testing of the atmo comp rules, and judging criteria - which have been well received since 2008.

Ultimately, if there is a community that wants to compete, and there is a growing trend in angle flying, I say, it benefits the skydiving community as a whole to endorse it, and join in.

There will always be those who want to incorporate all forms of techniques and disciplines into one jump (I am one of those), but there is a lot to be said for focussed competition...:)

Atmo Body Pilot

dont take this the wrong way, but instead of praying the atmo-gospel here, why dont you present us with a concept of future competitions!? or your vision of how they should be held.

that would be way more beneficial to your cause than saying "we as a community should stand together and get this started" - because nobody knows crap about how such a format should look like..

if it's interesting and appealing enough to jumpers, you will find more people to go for your project.

just sayin'..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda