FL_new_jumper

Canopy Collision - comments?

New to the sport (AFF 5)

I never thought this would be the case... but canopy flying is one of my favorite parts of this sport... but

Holy crap!! came across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydJW1N7w2c&feature=related

It scared the you know what out of me!

I apologize if it has been posted before...

... just wondering what experienced skydivers think about what happened here??

This is a Canopy Relative Work (CRW) team practicing. While canopy collisions and wraps can and do happen on normal skydives, the risk of them happening is much higher on a CRW jump.

Here's a thread with more specific details about the jump (also there's really good narration on the video if you haven't already listened to it).
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3232876;#3232876
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This is a Canopy Relative Work (CRW) team practicing. While canopy collisions and wraps can and do happen on normal skydives, the risk of them happening is much higher on a CRW jump.

While the overall "risk" of wraps in general may be greater while doing CReW, the statistics are pretty clear. The VAST majority of injuries and deaths from collisions and wraps happen to people NOT doing CReW.

It could be said that only a small percentage of jumps are CReW jumps, but per capita or per jumps in-discipline there are still far fewer (as in almost NONE) injuries and deaths from CReW wrap incidents than in any other discipline.

So for the newbie asking the question, I would be MUCH more worried about getting hurt or killed from canopy collisions and wraps during formation skydiving than I would be from CReW.

Hell, most people that don't do CReW don't even know what to do in a wrap!>:(
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

So for the newbie asking the question, I would be MUCH more worried about getting hurt or killed from canopy collisions and wraps during formation skydiving than I would be from CReW.

Maybe... But: Everyone has to land in the pattern at the end of the jump (where most of the really bad collisions happen); not everyone has to also do crw before.

That being said, yep, a crw wrap or entanglement is easier to deal with: plenty more altitude (and training to deal with it).
Remster

Maybe... But: Everyone has to land in the pattern at the end of the jump (where most of the really bad collisions happen); not everyone has to also do crw before.

Yes, everyone does typically fly the pattern - including CReW jumpers! When was the last time you heard of a couple CReW jumpers colliding in the pattern? Yeah, me neither.;)

That being said, yep, a crw wrap or entanglement is easier to deal with: plenty more altitude (and training to deal with it).

If you think CReW wraps are "easier to deal with", you haven't seen very many CReW wraps.

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yes, everyone does typically fly the pattern - including CReW jumpers! When was the last time you heard of a couple CReW jumpers colliding in the pattern? Yeah, me neither.;)

If you think CReW wraps are "easier to deal with", you haven't seen very many CReW wraps.

Would you rather get in a warp at 8k on a crew jump, or at 100 feet?

And my point about being in the pattern is that regardless of what happened in the jump, you may end up in a pattern with other jumpers and deal with traffic (yes, even with the far away spot and delay in landing.. I jump at a DZ with loads every 5 minutes: you will be in traffic on landing)

I think you're being a bit disingenuous.
Remster

Would you rather get in a warp at 8k on a crew jump, or at 100 feet?

And my point about being in the pattern is that regardless of what happened in the jump, you may end up in a pattern with other jumpers and deal with traffic (yes, even with the far away spot and delay in landing.. I jump at a DZ with loads every 5 minutes: you will be in traffic on landing)

I think you're being a bit disingenuous.

Nope, just pointing out ALL the facts. You are discounting collisions on deployment and those that happen above pattern altitude, both of which happen on a regular basis. Of course many collisions happen in the pattern, but that risk exists for ALL jumpers, not just those doing something other than CReW.

Additionally, not all CReW problems happen at higher altitudes as you continue to suggest. In fact, crusty old CReW dawgs will tell you that they often happen in disproportionate numbers at the bottom because jumpers sometimes push a little harder trying to get a last formation together or complete a transition before break-off.

We can do this all night, but my initial point stands. Statistics clearly indicate that CReW jumpers, who do in fact have a higher overall risk of wraps and collisions, are injured and killed per capita at a vastly lower rate than people participating in other disciplines, even though the risk of a wrap is higher during the actual CReW, and THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE after break-off.

This is even true if you remove the low altitude collisions you are so stuck on to make your argument.

You are right about one thing. The training CReW jumpers perform DOES make them less likely to be hurt or killed in a wrap. Of course that also means that jumpers in other disciplines are more likely to be hurt or killed in a wrap because they DON"T train for it.

When you're right, you're right.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX