Fallcoholic

Canopy Collision video (thankfully non fatal)

That is the implication of forgetting the camera for awhile, that you need the brain cells to skydive.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think it started with jumping out when they really weren't sure where they were (watch the pre-exit expressions). Then our hero was watching the clouds looking for a hole, more than paying attention to what was around him.

Again -- if your youtube videos serve as a what-not-to-do in skydiving seminar, it might be better to forget the camera for awhile.

Wendy P.

Sport Death is alive and well.[:/]

Right from the moment ALL of them left the plane... Clouds... not having a clue where the other jumpers were in said clouds.. then such stellar canopy skillz.... and LOVED the flying perpendicular over the runway at a VERY low altitude. But the gear sure looked nice and new... very cool

I have no problem with this guy. He can do whatever he pleases. The other folks in the air with him should take notice. Every DZ has one...a crater in search of grid marks. Just try to stay out of his way.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Someone please copy this video before it disappears. Glad all turned out well.

Remember people, if you see a canopy coming right at you, turn _________________.

a. left
b. right
c. away so you don't look death in the eye
d. to look at the ground and wish you were there
e. your camera off

B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Someone please copy this video before it disappears. Glad all turned out well.

Remember people, if you see a canopy coming right at you, turn _________________.

a. left
b. right
c. away so you don't look death in the eye
d. to look at the ground and wish you were there
e. your camera off

B|

f. It into an impromptu 2-stack? :D

What a C**T!

He appeared to have zero awareness of anyone else that he jumped with from the moment he left the plane.

Where does this bozo jump?

Unfortunately, he jumps at my home DZ in San Diego...little disconcerting to watch this video, shit my pants, then realize i recognize the DZ.

Hang on, is there any evidence that the camera had anything to do with it, that he was distracted by it?

If not, then the stupidity could have occurred in the same way any time over the last 30+ years. The only difference would be that we get to see a lot more of it on youtube now.

I didn't say the camera had anything to do with it did I? Did I say or imply that he shouldn't be jumping with a camera when he doesn't have the basic survival skills to jump with a group? You betcha!!!!

>Is this seriously what the sport is coming too? A bunch of old bitties whining
>about cameras?

I think you meant "biddies."

But yes, it is. Back in the olden timey days a bunch of old biddies whined about deployment altitudes after a bunch of low pull contests. They whined about canopy training, and the lack of training after AFF, and small canopies on newbies. They whined about putting AAD's and altimeters on students, requiring water training and requiring a PRO rating for tight demos.

And now that stuff is all considered common sense. The biddies won, and the sport is better off as a result.

>There have been crappy 4-Ways and idiotic skydivers long before the advent of
>digital cameras and youtube.

Yep. Add a camera to that mix and things often get a lot worse.

>Or, just go back to burying your head in the sand and ban the cameras
>because it's the cameras that are creating the problem.

Cameras aren't creating the problem. They are just inanimate tools. It's the newbie skydiver who has poor enough judgment to jump with one when he can't even do a basic 4 way that is the problem.

We've seen the same sort of complaints about small canopies. "Yeah, I only have 50 jumps and I have a Katana 119 - but Joe Smith had 5000 jumps and he killed himself under a Katana 109! So I'm safer than him! Why are people whining about my choices if Joe Smith killed himself?" It's a good bet that that guy just doesn't get it.

Now for the positives...
-Someone was there to immediately check on him. Not only checking on his condition, but, verifying he was indeed OK.
-DZO/Instructor was there immediately to let him know what he did right or wrong! And, I might add, in no uncertain terms!
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

But yes, it is. Back in the olden timey days a bunch of old biddies whined about deployment altitudes after a bunch of low pull contests. They whined about canopy training, and the lack of training after AFF, and small canopies on newbies. They whined about putting AAD's and altimeters on students, requiring water training and requiring a PRO rating for tight demos.

And now that stuff is all considered common sense. The biddies won, and the sport is better off as a result.

You left out the fact that hook turns were a problem, and were actually BANNED for quite some time. Of course, they seem to be almost expected today.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Hang on, is there any evidence that the camera had anything to do with it, that he was distracted by it?

If not, then the stupidity could have occurred in the same way any time over the last 30+ years. The only difference would be that we get to see a lot more of it on youtube now.

+1
funny how in 5 or 6 posts it goes to a camera witch hunt, and by the end, the guy hasn't got the basic skills to skydive.

Hard to believe he would even consider landing that canopy, from what I know. His instructors need to sit him down and ask him why he did that, in my view, not merely laugh and say, hey don't land that thing next time. The guy has an issue realizing the situation he is in on every jump. That is the big gap in this incident. If he has more than, say, 30 or 40 jumps he should really know better. He needs some additional instruction no matter how many jumps he has.

Now for the positives...
-Someone was there to immediately check on him. Not only checking on his condition, but, verifying he was indeed OK.
-DZO/Instructor was there immediately to let him know what he did right or wrong! And, I might add, in no uncertain terms!
B|

Yeah...I liked the 'talk to me', making sure he's not 'in shock' or whatever. B|

I really wish he'd have looked up...I'd like to have seen exactly how bad the canopy was.

That many lines severed can't be good, but OTOH if they were in the 'right' places...I mean he landed it successfully, not a good idea but it did work.

~Bit of a rant here but:
Is it just me... or is everybody pissed off at everything for some reason ?

Lotta responses lately to a lotta threads that seem to be calling people making errors, asking questions, having differing opinions ... everything from a DGIT, to a crater in the making, to a shit-house mouse!? :D

Everybody makes mistakes...we really need to put the jackboots into the ribcage EVERYTIME?? :)

Is it ALWAYS like this and I'm just now noticing it or is it that everybody just got the grumps...:$

We trying to 'teach' people how to grow in the sport, or 'shame' them into quitting? ;)

"...any of you guys calls me Francis...and I'll KILL YA!" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>You left out the fact that hook turns were a problem, and were actually BANNED for
>quite some time.

Hook turns were never banned by USPA. They were by some DZ's, of course.

I had thought they were. I guess it must have been a local ban that I THOUGHT was a USPA ban. That was a long time ago!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I am a newbie myself

Ah my friend, that's where you make a mistake. See, this person isn't a noob because he is wearing a camera and we all know you need 200 jumps before strapping a camera on.

(Note: Sarcasm...)

Actually, I edited this post because I realized it was a GoPro and we all know that;'s not a distraction as it seems they're strapping them to AFF students now.

Carry on...haha
"When once you have tasted flight..."

This video pisses me off. Assholes like this are ruining MY sport. Everybody has a goddamn camera but they don't have the skill to keep a fucking 4way together?! Who gave these douches a license!?!

Sick of it!

>:(

Mkay... Some of us are bashing the guy. :P

~Bit of a rant here but:
Is it just me... or is everybody pissed off at everything for some reason ?

Lotta responses lately to a lotta threads that seem to be calling people making errors, asking questions, having differing opinions ... everything from a DGIT, to a crater in the making, to a shit-house mouse!? :D

Everybody makes mistakes...we really need to put the jackboots into the ribcage EVERYTIME?? :)

Is it ALWAYS like this and I'm just now noticing it or is it that everybody just got the grumps...:$

We trying to 'teach' people how to grow in the sport, or 'shame' them into quitting? ;)

So, so true. The person involved needs education, not being called a "cunt" over the internet, it's pathetic.
Putting people down seems to be the order of the day here a lot of the time, most of it's unnecessary.
Just to add- I'm sure a lot of the more experienced guys here have some good advice but the way they speak to people completely undermines their professionalism - if they act like that it can come across like they're not worth listening to (ie, not very intelligent) - I'm sure there's other beginners that would like to ask questions but they don't bother for fear of being put down.

That is mighty presumptuous of you. Just because I point out that lots of people post gopro videos in no way means that I am in a hurry to strap one on me during a skydive. I participate in plenty of other sports other than skydiving and have never had the desire to film myself or others. I could give a shit about a gopro on a skydive. I jump because it brings me joy, not because I want to show off. So, let's stop assuming that every new skydiver wants a gopro please.

No it's not just you. Your rant is right on the money. Just look at how this thread progressed... The guy went low (so fn what, who hasn't). Then they blew through a cloud (not smart at all ). Then his buddy creams him. ( B| ). He make a decision to keep his canopy (:o ) and lands it ( B| ).
Now I could see a discusion on clouds, exits, seperation, canopy strikes, what canopy to keep/cut, flight control etc. but NO.....we blame it on a gopro and then run with it, to the point that the guy hasn't got the basics of jumpin? WTF? I am quite sure he pulled stable with good altitude.
This place has turned into a bunch of red assed baboons flinging shit at each other. Curb stomping the shit out of posters by people "who never" or "I always" seem to be the norm. Lets get it back to relevant conversation.

now if ya'll will excuse me i'm taking off my flame retardant underwear and putting on my rain suit..... cover your eyes :D:D:D:D