Fallcoholic

Canopy Collision video (thankfully non fatal)

http://youtu.be/eQSkN0Trrjk

HOLY CRAP! Saw this video and had to post it (sorry if it has been posted before)
This is a scary video, but also a good chance for some education. I think it all starts going bad when the spotter says "I can't see shit" before they proceed to jump from the plane. Then things go progressively wrong from there. This guy is very lucky to be alive. The ground crew aggressively educates him after they verify he is not dead.

HOLY CRAP! Saw this video and had to post it (sorry if it has been posted before)
This is a scary video, but also a good chance for some education. I think it all starts going bad when the spotter says "I can't see shit" before they proceed to jump from the plane. Then things go progressively wrong from there. This guy is very lucky to be alive. The ground crew aggressively educates him after they verify he is not dead.

First I'm trying to figure out if he was supposed to leave the airplane with that group or as a solo.
Second, I question his experience level and whether he should be wearing a camera.
Questioning the rest of the judgement here is a given,

It sure looks like a planned four-way exit. He never bothers to try & dock w/them, though (?). What really freaks me out is he never looks up at the canopy after the collision (?!). Let alone doing a full controllability check. I think he was afraid to cut away. My Newbie self sees a number of mistakes made.

fuckinng scaryyy.

What really freaks me out is he never looks up at the canopy after the collision (?!). Let alone doing a full controllability check.

That is what was most disturbing to me too. It didn't appear that he ever even looked at the canopy after the collision, and certainly didn't do a good control check.
I am a newbie myself and know that I don't know shit, and don't want to sound like I am bashing this guy. That being said, I really appreciate people posting videos like this even though they get publicly blasted for their mistakes because I think it is a valuable learning tool.

Yeah, vids like that are very good to teach us newer guys N gals. It's a shame when they get pulled down. I don't think anyone is bashing the guy. He made mistakes. I've no doubt they were addressed by his instructors. Happily, he didn't get seriously hurt or killed learning them.

This video pisses me off. Assholes like this are ruining MY sport. Everybody has a goddamn camera but they don't have the skill to keep a fucking 4way together?! Who gave these douches a license!?!

Sick of it!

>:(

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

First I'm trying to figure out if he was supposed to leave the airplane with that group or as a solo.
Second, I question his experience level and whether he should be wearing a camera.
Questioning the rest of the judgement here is a given,

You forgot to call the guy a stupid fucker. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This video pisses me off. Assholes like this are ruining MY sport. Everybody has a goddamn camera but they don't have the skill to keep a fucking 4way together?! Who gave these douches a license!?!

Sick of it!

Agreed, Jackwagons turning me into a crusty old jealous of mad skillz even though I haven't jumped in a year h8r. He fuckin watched the "base" and I use the term loosely go away and he turns perpendicular and acts like they never existed. Then he watches the fourth person go by him and he acts like he doesn't exist either. I'm talking about basic survival skills here. Someone needs to take the camera from him until he learns how to skydive. I knew better after AFF. What the fuck are people being taught today, and I really resent having to come off sounding like I'm some old pro when I'm not

Hang on, is there any evidence that the camera had anything to do with it, that he was distracted by it?

If not, then the stupidity could have occurred in the same way any time over the last 30+ years. The only difference would be that we get to see a lot more of it on youtube now.

Sick of it!

Is this seriously what the sport is coming too? A bunch of old bitties whining about cameras?

There have been crappy 4-Ways and idiotic skydivers long before the advent of digital cameras and youtube. To suddenly act surprised that something like this might have actually happened in the sport before is really just naive; and, perhaps the best justification for cameras to start exposing everyone's mistakes to those who live in a perfect world.

Or, just go back to burying your head in the sand and ban the cameras because it's the cameras that are creating the problem.

As they say, "Don't blame the messenger."
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

I agree with you. People posting gopro videos to youtube has exposed near fatal idiotic mistakes in every conceivable sport/hobby, not just skydiving. These things have most certainly happened countless times before cameras, they are just documented in high definition and can be uploaded and be viewable by millions in the blink of an eye now [:/]

I wish this person (and his colleagues of the 4way) gets better in his skydiving, gets decent coaching, and realizes that he got very lucky.

Also hope that he realizes that posting such videos on Youtubez is doing a disservice to the activity, as it will show to potential future skydivers/tandem students that this is a crazy sport with people doing stoopid stuff. Damn I wish Skydivingmovies.com was up again.

The video can be used by skydivers to learn a lot of things. It just shouldn't be shown to whuffo's :|

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I agree with you. People posting gopro videos to youtube has exposed near fatal idiotic mistakes in every conceivable sport/hobby, not just skydiving. These things have most certainly happened countless times before cameras, they are just documented in high definition and can be uploaded and be viewable by millions in the blink of an eye now [:/]

Let me guess, if there isn't already, a gopro will be stuck on your head pretty soon?

I wish this person (and his colleagues of the 4way) gets better in his skydiving, gets decent coaching, and realizes that he got very lucky.

Also hope that he realizes that posting such videos on Youtubez is doing a disservice to the activity, as it will show to potential future skydivers/tandem students that this is a crazy sport with people doing stoopid stuff. Damn I wish Skydivingmovies.com was up again.

The video can be used by skydivers to learn a lot of things. It just shouldn't be shown to whuffo's :|

I think it shows the reality, and thats how it should be. Theres no reason we try to make our sport look any safer than it is. Every time a tandem pax asks me is this safe, I reply no. I try to give him/her as realistic picture I possibly can.

The point is quite simple. This guy can't even do the basics of skydiving properly, and yet he puts a camera on his head.

He needs to learn a whole lot more about skydiving and survival before he even thinks about mixing cameras with jumping. The turkey who hit him coming from above needs a good hard slap as well.

Biggest slap is reserved for the DZO who let these turkeys loose in the air in the first place.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I think it started with jumping out when they really weren't sure where they were (watch the pre-exit expressions). Then our hero was watching the clouds looking for a hole, more than paying attention to what was around him.

Again -- if your youtube videos serve as a what-not-to-do in skydiving seminar, it might be better to forget the camera for awhile.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That is a load of crap, the video is tame, and no whuffo is going to have the frame of refrence to have any idea what is happening. ;)

Other than the canopy collision we don't even know the full extent what is happening, the video doesn't show the canopy in flight, and we don't get to see it stretched out on the ground.

The video raises some serious questions about that guys knowlege and common sense, but it is nothing that is going to scare non jumpers.

Most will have no clue what the video shows and will be bored by it!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Most will have no clue what the video shows and will be bored by it!!

Not exactly A grade movie stuff, is it....

Don't people realise that you can learn to use a camera on the ground......long before you try to mix it with skydiving....j

My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

What I find the most surprising is that even after his collision, there was no headmovement.
If I had a canopy collision I would make sure (the best I could) that it did not happen again.
But this guy just keeps looking straight forward all the way down.

Most people would be happy to be alive, but this guy just "meeh... I can do it again"
:S

I think it started with jumping out when they really weren't sure where they were (watch the pre-exit expressions). Then our hero was watching the clouds looking for a hole, more than paying attention to what was around him.

Again -- if your youtube videos serve as a what-not-to-do in skydiving seminar, it might be better to forget the camera for awhile.

Wendy P.

If your youtube videos serve as a what-not-to-do in skydiving seminar, it might be better to evaluate your judgement and skydiving skills.