PhreeZone

2005 Fatality trends as of 10/3/05

I'm basing these numbers strictly off the US/Canadian fatalities I have info on.

25 fatalities

1 collision with an airplane wing
1 collision with a tandem at deployment
1 entanglement with the reserve PC
1 hard opening that broke lines with no cutaway
1 no pull after a pilot chute in tow
1 extremely low reserve pull, AAD was miscalabrated by the jumper
1 incident linked to possible medical issues
1 instance of toggles not being released till low then getting one stuck and sprialing into the ground.
1 main/reserve entanglement
1 no/late reserve pull
2 Tandem students due to canopy collapses
2 instances of people turning too low to the ground to avoid obsticales on the ground.
2 jumpers due to a canopy collision
3 low turns for High Performance landings
6 instances of people having a malfunction then reacting too late to get a reserve canopy over their heads prior to impact. 1 of these was a tandem student.

At least two of these deaths were caused by only pulling the cutaway cable far enough to release one side and not the other.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, the way I broke them down was the 6 had a canopy over their head at some point then cutaway improperly or too low then either did not pull the reserve or pulled it too low to properly inflate. Some of these slowed people down (the tandem incident) but did not make it fully survivalble for everyone.

The No/Low reserve pull has no real information and all requests for information were ignored and those involved have stopped posting to the thread. :S:| Can't classify it any better without some more information.

The Pilot Chute in tow was actually a dropped Pud on a Pullout with no reserve pull. Technically thats a late reaction I guess... but it was after a non canopy malfunction so I saw it as being different.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

-------------------------------------
The No/Low reserve pull has no real information and all requests for information were ignored and those involved have stopped posting to the thread. :S:| Can't classify it any better without some more information.
-----------------------------------

It's still being investigated but IMO you have it classified accurately.

"Kicking gravity's ass since 2003!"

Anyone find it odd how there is such little interest in improving the lower half of one's skydive when by definition that is the most dangerous?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Are you serious? Once the gear is on, the skydive is yours. You can't blame manufacturers for anything short of intentionally putting jumpers in harm's way. Aside from PV taking their time in recalling the Omega, I think manufactuer's do a great job. Their business IS the bottom half of the skydive.

I'm talking about people's lack of interest in learning their gear and their canopy. People get freeflying and RW coaching galore but put little thought into their canopy and rig aside from color coordination.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Why? If they would not produce anything just T-10 and other conical mains we could not hook in.B|

Are you sure the T-10 is a conical?

***The T-10B Troop Parachute Assembly consists of a static-line deployed 35 ft. (10.6 m) diameter parabolic canopy constructed of 1.1 oz. ripstop nylon fabric and incorporating an anti-inversion net skirt modification.***

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah. Specially from the manufacturer. They just put a big red/orange warning label and thats all

No, friend, that isn't all we do. If you really feel that way maybe you should spend a little more time listening to how most manufacturers advise, mentor, coach, teach, and truly care about our customers' safety and well-being. Perhaps you have some personal experience that makes you say that? If you'd like to share that please do; if not please don't point fingers of blame in the direction of those who truly do care about safe skydiving.

And in another post you mentioned jumping a round; I am sure that I can provide one for you if that's what you'd like to jump. ;)

I would guess that people who do jumps for gear manufacturers spend the majority of their time in the air under a canopy screwing around with it and trying to get it to not work so that people who care not to learn about their gear can jump more safely.

If that's not caring about the second half of the skydive, what is?

I also think that most manufacturers would rather not affix the ugly warning label to their otherwise aesthetically (sp?) pleasing product. They have to in order to cover their asses against frivelous lawsuits from the people who care not to learn about the second half of the skydive.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"red/orange warning label" was not serious.

Thanks for letting me know that you were joking, but maybe when you say something as a joke use the little "wink" icon or some other way to let others know you're only kidding; old men like me need to keep our blood pressure down! :P

Very interresting all these postings here.
How can we help manufactures and users to get more safety in skydiving?
Sometimes it is difficult to teach basics about safety to people because they won't hear that. It is not so funny to talk about incidents. It is more fun to watch nice swooping videos and bigways etc. Noboby want's to see malefunctions.
We need to bring edjucation to all the skydivers.
Canopy control seminars is one step.
Also maintenace and rigging. Start with reading the Manual. We are all thinking about taking care for our friends. So if we see something unusual on the Dropzone by packing, jumping, briefing etc. we should not take a coffe and go away. We should ask if we can help or take care that somebody can give good advice.

6 instances of people having a malfunction then reacting too late to get a reserve canopy over their heads prior to impact. 1 of these was a tandem student.

Did you just say that a tandem student didn't respond to a malfunction in time? :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

No, I said there was an instance of a tandem not opening the reserve in time. A tandem student died due to this inaction on the part of the tandem master.

Wow, I must have missed that one.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)